Busy moms out there….have you ever just wanted a day off from being a mom? We love those kiddies of ours to pieces, but sometimes we just need some time for ourselves! I am sure you will be able to relate to this music video! This song was written by my amazing friend Maureen, whose recipe I am featuring today. We play together in a band called The DG Band (previously known as Dichroic Glass) and we made this music video using our home video cameras and video editing software. It is a funny and upbeat song about taking a day off from being a mom!
Sooooooo, on to the topic at hand…this is a super-simple, super-delicious dinner that Maureen recently shared with me when I mentioned that I was looking for fast and easy recipes. And believe me, it would be difficult to find a recipe any easier than this one! It can easily be adjusted or modified to fit your family’s tastes. You can maximize the nutritional value by choosing whole grain or fiber-fortified pasta, and cut down on the fat by choosing extra lean ground beef and reduced fat cheese (and go easy on the cheesy, as well!). I also cut down on the sugar by using less ketchup. I served this to the family tonight with a side of the ‘good’ kind of green beans (you know, the kind from a can, haha!).
Maureen's Microwave Hamburger MacPrint Recipe
- 1/2 to 3/4 pound ground beef (I used extra lean)
- 1 3/4 cups uncooked elbow macaroni (I used fiber-fortified)
- 1 3/4 cups beef broth (I used low-sodium)
- 1 8 ounce can tomato sauce
- 1/4-1/3 cup ketchup (vary amount depending on how sweet you like it)
- Cheese (shredded or slices-I used reduced-fat cheddar)
- Chili powder to taste (optional)
- Onion flakes to taste (optional)
- Mix all the ingredients in a microwavable 9x9 dish or a large casserole dish.
- Microwave (uncovered) for 8 minutes on high.
- Stir really well and microwave on high for another 8-10 minutes (time may vary a bit, depending on your microwave) until liquid is mostly absorbed and the macaroni is soft.
- Let sit for 5-10 minutes before serving and cover with your favorite cheese (slices of American or shredded cheddar work well).
- You can mix in a veggie if you want, such as peas or cut green beans!
Thanks, Maureen, for this great dinner idea!