Avocado and spinach toppings pack some nutritional punch into Avocado Bacon Burgers, so you can feel good about serving it to your family!
May is National Hamburger month! I did not even know that hamburgers had their very own month. Go figure!
We are big fans of the hamburger, especially this version which is ‘healthified’ with ingredients to maximize nutrition and minimize calories. So at least you get some nutritional bang for your calorie buck!
Thing 1 and Thing 2 were chomping at the bit when they learned that we were having these for dinner, especially when I mentioned that we were using ‘real’ bacon, as opposed to our usual turkey bacon. For this dish, I splurged a little and bought center cut bacon, which is not as lean as turkey bacon, but it is leaner than regular bacon, so I consider it a compromise!
Adapted from a HungryGirl recipe.
Avocado Bacon BurgersPrint Recipe
- 3 wedges spreadable light Swiss cheese (like the kind by The Laughing Cow)
- 2 avocados (mashed)
- 1 handful cilantro
- ¼ tsp salt
- 4 extra lean hamburger patties (for best results use Certified Angus Beef® to make the patties)
- 4 slices center cut bacon
- 1 large tomato (sliced into 4 thick slices)
- 1 handful iceberg lettuce (shredded)
- 1 handful fresh spinach (shredded)
- 4 hamburger buns (use whole grain and/or light buns if you choose)
- Peel and mash avocados.
- Place the wedges of spreadable Swiss cheese on a microwave-safe plate and soften by heating in the microwave on high for about 30 seconds
- Finely chop the cilantro or run through the food processor to yield about 2 tablespoons.
- Combine the avocados, spreadable Swiss cheese, cilantro and salt in a small bowl. Set aside.
- Cook the hamburger patties as desired (grill, oven, or stovetop).
- While the hamburger patties are cooking, place the bacon slices on a paper towel, cover with another paper towel, and microwave until crispy, about 2 to 3 minutes.
- Combine the shredded lettuce and shredded spinach in a separate small bowl.
- Assemble burgers by placing the cooked hamburger patty on the bottom half of a bun, then spread about ¼ of the avocado mixture, then layer the bacon, tomato, shredded lettuce/spinach blend and the top half of the bun.
Thing 2 rating = (4 out of 5 biscuits). I thought for sure I had a 5 in the bag because of the bacon, but the tomato was enough for him to dock me an entire biscuit! But, what he didn’t know was that there was spinach in with the lettuce. Heh heh. Score!! 🙂
Interested in some other beef recipes?
This post contains affiliate links. Check out our full disclosure here.