Avocado and spinach toppings pack some nutritional punch into Avocado Bacon Burgers, so you can feel good about serving it to your family!
May is National Hamburger month! I did not even know that hamburgers had their very own month. Go figure!
We are big fans of the hamburger, especially this version which is ‘healthified’ with ingredients to maximize nutrition and minimize calories. So at least you get some nutritional bang for your calorie buck!
Another great burger recipe is my Crock Pot Barbeque Burgers, which are so easy to make in your slow cooker!
Thing 1 and Thing 2 were chomping at the bit when they learned that we were having these for dinner, especially when I mentioned that we were using ‘real’ bacon, as opposed to our usual turkey bacon. For this dish, I splurged a little and bought center cut bacon, which is not as lean as turkey bacon, but it is leaner than regular bacon, so I consider it a compromise!
Interested in some other beef recipes?
Adapted from a HungryGirl recipe.
Avocado Bacon Burgers
- 3 wedges spreadable light Swiss cheese (like the kind by The Laughing Cow)
- 2 avocados (mashed)
- 1 handful cilantro
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 4 extra lean hamburger patties (for best results use Certified Angus Beef® to make the patties)
- 4 slices center cut bacon
- 1 large tomato (sliced into 4 thick slices)
- 1 handful iceberg lettuce (shredded)
- 1 handful fresh spinach (shredded)
- 4 hamburger buns (use whole grain and/or light buns if you choose)
- Peel and mash avocados.2 avocados
- Place the wedges of spreadable Swiss cheese on a microwave-safe plate and soften by heating in the microwave on high for about 30 seconds3 wedges spreadable light Swiss cheese
- Finely chop the cilantro or run through the food processor to yield about 2 tablespoons.1 handful cilantro
- Combine the avocados, spreadable Swiss cheese, cilantro and salt in a small bowl. Set aside.¼ teaspoon salt
- Cook the hamburger patties as desired (grill, oven, or stovetop).4 extra lean hamburger patties
- While the hamburger patties are cooking, place the bacon slices on a paper towel, cover with another paper towel, and microwave until crispy, about 2 to 3 minutes.4 slices center cut bacon
- Combine the shredded lettuce and shredded spinach in a separate small bowl.1 handful iceberg lettuce, 1 handful fresh spinach
- Assemble burgers by placing the cooked hamburger patty on the bottom half of a bun, then spread about ¼ of the avocado mixture, then layer the bacon, tomato, shredded lettuce/spinach blend and the top half of the bun.4 hamburger buns, 1 large tomato
Nutritional information is an estimate. The nutritional values for your final dish may vary based on measuring differences and products used.