I always listen to music in the kitchen. It drives my husband crazy, because I like to have the radio on all day long on the weekends (he likes it a little more quiet…not sure how he survived the toddler years LOL!). Anyway, I just heard this song, and it is my new favorite! It is not a new song, and I have heard it before, but I just actually paid attention to the lyrics and they are really clever and funny! And the video is cute, too!
Sooooooo, not to be cheesy or anything (haha!), last night I made really awesome grilled cheese sandwiches.
The kids love grilled cheese, but I have gotten a bit bored with them, even with throwing in extras like cold cuts or tomato slices, etc. (even did bacon crumbles once, yum!)
This recipe is super-easy and really delicious. The kids loved it even more than their regular grilled cheese. I am not sure they are ever going to want to go back! But that’s OK, because I don’t mind making this at all!
Note that I generally use whole wheat or multi-grain bread to increase the nutritional value, but last night I used Italian bread, as you can see from the picture. Also, since cheese can really send calorie and fat counts through the roof, I used reduced fat cream cheese, shredded cheese, and mayonnaise to try to minimize in that area. Gotta save some calories for dessert!!
Two additional notes: First, I think the next time I make this, I will make the filling the night before and store in the fridge so that I can save myself a few minutes the next day.
Second, I LOVE the idea of oven grilling. Instead of having to stand and babysit a griddle or skillet, I can just pop these babies in the oven and go about preparing some vegetables to go with the dinner (last night we had sauteed spinach and zucchini, leftover from the quesadillas I made earlier in the week!). And they came out so beautiful and crispy and grillicious!
Grillicious Cheese SandwichesPrint Recipe
- 4 oz reduced fat or fat-free cream cheese
- 8 oz shredded reduced fat colby jack cheese
- 3/4 cup reduced fat or fat-free mayonnaise
- 1/2 tsp garlic salt
- 8 slices bread (use whole grain for added nutrition)
- Brummel and Brown (B&B) spread
- Mix together cream cheese, shredded cheese, mayonnaise, and garlic salt.
- Spread B&B on one side of each slice of bread. Place one slice B&B side down, spread with 1/4 of the cheese mixture, and place another slice on top, B&B side up. Repeat to assemble remaining 3 sandwiches.
- Grill on a skillet, about 5 minutes on each side, until browned. **OR**
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Place sandwiches on baking sheet and bake about 8 minutes, then flip and bake about 8 more minutes until browned. Check occasionally to prevent burning.
Adapted from this recipe at Allrecipes.com.
I hope everyone in the path of this nor’easter stays warm and dry and, most of all, well-fed! 🙂