Danielle's Super Easy Chicken Pot Pie
This creamy, delicious family meal is quick and easy and the kids love it!
Servings: 6 People
- 1/2 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts or thighs, cut into bite-sized pieces (or use leftover turkey!)
- 1/2 cup chopped onion (optional)
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 16 ounces frozen mixed vegetables (1 bag)
- 10.75 ounces cream of chicken soup (1 can)
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese, divided
- 2 refrigerated pie crusts
Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
Heat olive oil in a large skillet.
Add chicken, onion (if desired), garlic salt, and pepper, and cook until the chicken is done.
Mix in the vegetables, chicken soup, and milk, and cook until heated through.
Spray a 1.5 quart casserole dish with cooking spray, and place the first pie crust along the bottom and up the sides.
Stir 1/2 cup shredded cheddar into the chicken/vegetable mix, and then pour into the casserole dish.
Sprinkle the top of the chicken mixture with the remaining 1/2 cup cheddar cheese, and then arrange the second crust on top.
Cut a slit in the middle of the crust, and place in the oven.
Bake for 15-20 minutes, until the crust is golden brown.
- Short on time? Use frozen chopped onion instead of fresh (or skip the onion altogether), and start with frozen cooked chicken.
- You can also use leftover chicken or turkey. I have used any from 1/2 pound to 1 1/2 pounds of meat, so don't worry too much about how much you have.
- Many frozen mixed veggie brands have lima beans, but there are some that don't, so look closely if your family isn't a fan of those lima beans!
- Sharp or extra sharp shredded cheddar will give you the best flavor.
- For a beautiful glossy golden brown crust, brush the top pie crust with a beaten egg prior to baking.
- Bake the pie on a baking sheet covered in foil to ensure easy clean-up in case it bubbles over!
Calories: 484kcal | Carbohydrates: 44g | Protein: 24g | Fat: 23g | Saturated Fat: 7g | Cholesterol: 47mg | Sodium: 1012mg | Potassium: 521mg | Fiber: 4g | Sugar: 2g | Vitamin A: 4035IU | Vitamin C: 9.5mg | Calcium: 155mg | Iron: 3mg