You can’t really go wrong with bacon! As soon as I tell my kids that a dish has bacon in it, their eyes light up and they do a little happy dance. That’s probably because we actually avoid bacon as a general rule, only because it is not all that healthy. But you have to have it once in a while!
In this recipe, the double veggie power of zucchini and spinach totally make the bacon worth it.
Use turkey bacon, or, if you must have real bacon (totally understandable!), buy the center cut bacon to minimize calories from fat.
I cooked the bacon in the microwave because it is easy and quick, and I can let it go while I am getting all the other ingredients prepared. I like to cut the zucchini into thin strips using a cheese slicer (click here for an example, although this one is much nicer than mine!) or a vegetable peeler. They cook a little faster that way.
Thing 2 rating = (4.5 out of 5 biscuits).
He likes it, woohoo!! 🙂
Zucchini Bacon Cheese QuesadillasPrint Recipe
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 medium zucchini (I cut them into thin strips using a cheese slicer)
- 8 slices center cut bacon (or turkey bacon)
- 1 bag fresh spinach
- 1 cup shredded monterey jack cheese
- 4 medium whole wheat tortillas
- Heat olive oil in a large skillet.
- Add strips of zucchini and cook until soft, about 6-8 minutes.
- Cook the bacon until crispy according to directions on package (microwave or stove top, whichever you prefer).
- Spray one side of a tortilla with cooking spray.
- On the unsprayed side, place about 1/4 of the cooked zucchini on half of the tortilla.
- Add 2 slices of bacon on top of the zucchini (break into smaller segments if needed).
- Distribute 1/4 cup of the shredded cheese on top of the bacon.
- Top with a small handful of the fresh spinach.
- Fold the other side of the tortilla over the ingredients and place in a skillet.
- Cook over medium heat, about 3-4 minutes on each side or until golden brown.
- Repeat with remaining tortillas.