I love chicken salad, but I really could do without all that mayo. As delicious as it is, I don’t need all those calories! That is why I love this lightened up chicken salad.
I feel no guilt when gobbling this up for lunch, dinner, or as a hearty snack. And it is SO easy to make – no stove top, oven, or microwave involved!
The biggest flavor contributor to this chicken salad is the fresh pico de gallo. You can make your own if you have a favorite recipe, but I typically take advantage of having a shortcut and buy my pico de gallo. Many grocery stores have fresh pico de gallo available in the produce section, and it is delicious!
My other shortcut for this recipe is having cooked chicken on hand. I will typically cook up some chicken from time to time, cut it up, and freeze it to use in recipes that call for cooked chicken. It is cheaper than buying pre-cooked chicken and it is really easy to do. However, you could also use canned chicken if you have it in your pantry.
My Slow Cooker Whole Chicken is a great recipe that will not only serve as your dinner one night, but then the leftovers can be used in this chicken salad recipe. I really love it because it is the easiest way I have found to get tender, juicy chicken every time! And the tasty leftovers from that chicken work really well in this recipe.
I love how fresh and delicious this recipe turns out, with amazing flavor! It is an ideal summer salad to serve, especially on those hot days when there is no way you want to turn on that oven. Serve it over lettuce, in a wrap, or just eat it straight out of the bowl!
Fiesta Chicken SaladPrint Recipe
- 8 ounces cooked (shredded chicken)
- 1/2 cup canned black beans (drained and rinsed)
- 1/2 cup corn kernels (can be thawed from frozen)
- 1/2 cup chopped cilantro
- 1 cup pico de gallo
- 1/3 cup fat free Greek yogurt (or fat free sour cream)
- 1 teaspoon taco seasoning
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- In a large bowl, combine the chicken, beans, corn, cilantro, and pico de gallo.
- In a small bowl, mix the Greek yogurt, taco seasoning, and lime juice.
- Add the yogurt mixture to the chicken mixture and toss to coat.
- Chill in the refrigerator for 30 minutes or more to let the flavors set.
Note: This post has been shared at THESE link parties!
Want to keep up with the latest yummy recipes on DBH?
Sign up to receive new recipes in your inbox (only 1 email per week)!