Chicken Potato Bake is like a chicken potato casserole tossed in garlic and olive oil, baked to a golden brown, and topped with stretchy, melty cheese. It's my go-to recipe for when I need inexpensive, no-fuss, quick dinner ideas!
This might seem kind of crazy, but I often sit down to do my meal plan for the upcoming week, and I am stumped.
Well, I think it is a similar phenomenon as the one that causes Thing 1 and Thing 2 to meander into our fully stocked kitchen, look through the pantry and fridge, and declare that there is nothing to eat!
I have come to realize that I can never go wrong with baked recipes with potatoes and chicken for dinner. No one complains and everyone practically licks their plate (and the casserole dish too!).
Whenever I get that meal planning 'block', or whatever you want to call it, I pull up one or two of my go-to dishes, plop them in the meal planner, and somehow that jump-starts my brain so that I can finish the entire meal plan.
This Chicken Potato Bake is one of those go-to dishes. I have served it more times than I can remember, and every time it is a big hit in the family.
🥘 Ingredients Needed for Baked Chicken and Potatoes
In this recipe, I baked boneless chicken thighs in the oven along with the potatoes. If you don't have chicken thighs, you can substitute chicken breasts in this recipe.
For the potatoes, you can choose between russet potatoes, red potatoes, or white potatoes. No need to peel them! Just wash them and cut into ¾ inch cubes. I keep the skin on because it adds texture and its also contains a lot of the nutrition.
Potatoes tossed in garlic and olive oil and baked to a golden brown right in the same dish with tender, juicy chicken thighs guarantees a successful meal every time. The melty mozzarella cheese on top then seals the deal!
The cheese in this recipe brings all the ingredients together and gives the casserole with chicken and potatoes that delicious crusty look. I found that using freshly shredded mozzarella works best. However, if you don't have fresh mozzarella, using store-bought mozzarella will taste good too.
It only takes this chicken and potato casserole about 25 minutes to finish cooking. I serve it right after I remove it from the oven and I can still hear the sizzling! When I remove it from the oven, it fills the whole house with a delicious baked chicken and potato aroma.
This aroma is so heavenly that I don't even have to call everyone to the dinner table. The aroma brings everyone running to the dinner table!
- Add some dried rosemary or thyme to change up the flavor profile.
- Some red pepper flakes or a pinch of cayenne is a great way to spice it up!
- We like to add some paprika or even smoked paprika as well.
- Seasoned salt is another great way to amp up the flavor in this dish.
- Cook up some bacon, cut it into pieces, and then mix it in with the potatoes right before adding the chicken into the pan. YUM!
- To add some additional nutrition, mix in about 8 ounces of sliced mushrooms with the potatoes before baking them.
I find that dinner recipes with potatoes are just so versatile and perfect for busy weeknights. What are your favorite potato bake recipes?
If you like baked recipes with potatoes and chicken, check out my other family favorites, like this Chicken Tray Bake with Potatoes! And see more easy chicken recipes below.
Chicken Potato Bake
If you love this recipe, please give it 5 stars!
This post may contain affiliate links which won’t change your price but will share some commission.
Chicken Potato Bake
- 4 potatoes medium-sized, cut into ¾" cube (russet, white, and red are all good choices, no need to peel)
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1.5 tablespoons olive oil
- ⅛ teaspoon salt
- ⅛ teaspoon pepper
- 1.5 pounds boneless skinless chicken breasts or thighs (I like to use thighs)
- ¾ cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- parsley (optional, freshly chopped)
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F/220 degrees C.
- Place the potato cubes in a large bowl, add the garlic, olive oil, salt, and pepper, and toss to coat.4 potatoes, 1 tablespoon minced garlic, 1.5 tablespoons olive oil, ⅛ teaspoon salt, ⅛ teaspoon pepper
- Spray a large (9x13) baking dish with non stick spray. Spread potato mixture in dish and bake about 15 minutes.
- Remove baking dish from oven and place the chicken pieces in the dish, nestling them down into the potato mixture a bit. If desired, brush the top of each chicken piece with a little olive oil and season with salt and pepper.1.5 pounds boneless skinless chicken breasts or thighs
- Bake 20-25 minutes, until chicken is cooked and potatoes are browned.
- Sprinkle the mozzarella cheese over the top, return to the oven and bake for a few more minutes to melt the cheese.¾ cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- When serving, sprinkle chopped parsley on top (if desired).parsley
Tools used for this recipe: