Only 15 minutes of prep! This no-meat cheesy tater tot casserole is a delicious and easy dish, featuring roasted red peppers, fresh spinach, and melted cheddar. Great for a holiday brunch, weekend breakfast, or even fun meatless weeknight dinner in under an hour.
Why I love this recipe!
I am always trying to come up with recipes that:
- taste amazing
- look delicious
- don’t involve slaving over a stove all day
- appeal to the youngest ones as well as the adults in the family
And that’s what you’ve got when you make this cheesy tater tot casserole recipe! Woohoo!
There are a lot of tater tot casseroles out there, but this one isn’t necessarily a side dish. With the fresh spinach, roasted red peppers, savory cheddar, and eggs, it’s got everything you need to be the foundation of your meal. This is also a great recipe if you are looking for a tater tot casserole without meat.
If you are looking for a cheesy tater tot hotdish, you can absolutely use this recipe, even though it doesn't contain any meat. With the eggs and cheese, you have plenty of protein. In fact, this is a perfect recipe if you do a meatless Monday or for Fridays during Lent!
And, here's the BONUS:
Your kids are going to completely miss the fact that you’re serving them nutrient dense veggies and protein packed eggs when they bite into this cheesy potato deliciousness. You’ll be getting requests for this regularly!
And with the bright red of the peppers and the vibrant green of fresh spinach, this is perfect for Christmas morning brunch, too.
But this tater tot egg casserole is also just the thing for a busy weeknight when you want simple and delicious on the table with a minimal of fuss.
Consider serving it up with Quick Parmesan Garlic Bread and maybe a small side salad to make this easy tater tot breakfast casserole into a cheesy, delicious, simple cheesy tater tot casserole with veggies, just right for dinner.
It's also great with this Berry Delicious Fruit Salad as a side, just to add a little contrasting sweetness to the meal!
Tips For Making Easy Cheesy Tater Tot Casserole
This recipe is super simple to make, but here are a few things to keep in mind.
Do I need to cook the tater tots before adding them to the casserole?
Nope! Not only do you NOT have to cook them, you don't even have to thaw them! Use them right of the bag, still frozen.
Can I make this cheesy tater tot casserole recipe ahead of time?
Yes! You absolutely can prep your tater tot egg casserole ahead of time. Go ahead and make it up the night before, cover it tightly, and keep it in the fridge until morning.
When you wake up, slide it into the oven and turn on the heat. But here’s the trick: put into a cold oven so you don’t shatter the glass of your casserole dish. It will slowly heat as the oven warms. If you do this, you may need to slightly adjust cooking times; just check the center for doneness.
How do I reheat tater tot egg casserole?
Now, how about heating up those leftovers? I’ll be honest, this almost feels like a silly explanation because who is going to have leftovers of this cheesy goodness? Haha! But if you do, you’ll want to know.
You could, of course, heat them up in the microwave. Sprinkle a few drops of water on top to keep it moist and help the cheese get super gooey again.
But, if you have the time, the best way to reheat this no-meat tater tot casserole recipe is in the oven. Just cover it lightly so it doesn’t get too browned on top and reheat it until the center is warm.
How to make Tater Tot Casserole with Cheese - Step by Step
Step 1. Chop the roasted red peppers into bite sized pieces.
Step 4. Mix in the salt, pepper, and roasted red pepper pieces.
Step 5. Mix in the spinach and shredded cheese.
Step 6. Spray the bottom and sides of a casserole dish, and then line the frozen tater tots along the bottom of the dish.
Step 7. Pour the egg and veggie mixture over the tater tots, spreading everything out with a fork to evenly distribute the veggies and cheese.
Variations for Cheesy Tater Tot Casserole
- Try different cheeses! Go ahead and substitute colby, or Swiss, or may I even suggest a nice spicy pepper jack? I even found a habenero-infused shredded cheddar recently that would be AWESOME in this recipe.
- Not a fan of roasted red pepper? Substitute 8 ounces of sliced mushrooms. You will want to cook them slightly first to give them a softer texture in the finished casserole. A quick and easy way to do this is to microwave them for about 2 minutes, drain, and then add to the egg mixture.
- Is spinach not your thing? Asparagus would be a great substitute for the spinach. Similar to the mushrooms, chop 8 ounces of asparagus into bite-sized pieces, microwave them for about 2 minutes to soften, drain, and add to the egg mixture.
- Looking to use this as a tater tot casserole side dish? This can definitely be a side dish! Serve alongside an entree of grilled kielbasa or other sausage, or even a beef roast or steak!
Cheesy Tater Tot Casserole Recipe
If you love this recipe, please give it 5 stars!
Cheesy Tater Tot Casserole
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Chop the roasted red peppers into bite-sized pieces.
- Place the spinach in a microwave-safe bowl and microwave on high for 1 minute. Once wilted, pick at the spinach with a fork to separate the leaves.
- Place the eggs in a medium bowl and whisk.
- Add in the roasted red pepper pieces and the salt and pepper and mix. Then fold in the spinach and shredded cheddar.
- Spray an 11x7 baking dish with nonstick spray. Line the dish with frozen tater tots.
- Pour the egg mixture over the tater tots, spreading out the veggies and cheese to evenly distribute them over the tater tots.
- Bake for 40-45 minutes, until the egg mixture is set.
- There is no need to cook or even thaw the tater tots. Use them right out of the bag, still frozen!
- If you like, you can prep this casserole ahead of time. Make it up the night before, cover it with plastic wrap, and keep it in the fridge until morning.
- When you are ready to bake it, slide it into the oven and turn on the heat. It will slowly heat as the oven warms and avoid shattering your baking dish. (You may need to slightly adjust cooking times; just check the center for doneness.)
- To reheat leftovers in the microwave, sprinkle a few drops of water on top to keep it moist and help the cheese get super gooey again.
- To reheat leftovers in the oven (recommended), just cover them lightly so they doesn’t get too browned on top and reheat them at 350 degrees F until the center is warm.
If you are a fan of tater tots...
Check out my Dizzy Busy and Hungry store on Amazon for some great kitchen products I love!