This twist on a carnival classic will bring you back to summer, but not back to all of the calories!
Summer is just around the corner! Hooray! It has been so damp and chilly here, I am really looking forward to some warmth and sunshine.
Summer always reminds me of amusement parks, which reminds me of amusement park food. Nowadays they have crazy options like fried Oreos and humongous turkey legs, but when I was a kid, corn dogs were all the rage. Who doesn't love a good corn dog?
The salty hot dog perfectly balances out with the sweetness of the cornmeal, and in case that isn't enough, the whole thing goes into the deep fryer to get crispy and greasy and oh so tasty.
Now that I am older, I still crave those yummy corn dogs, but I am not really up for the fat and calories in a typical preparation. So I started looking for a variation that would be a little on the healthier side. A super-easy way to make them healthier is simply to eliminate the deep fryer.
Baked corn dogs are almost as good, and so much better for you! So I tried making individual corn dogs in the oven a few different ways, but I couldn't find an easy way to get the batter to stay on the dogs while they were baking.
Finally I decided to just throw the whole thing in a casserole dish and call it a day. Which is SO much easier anyway, and it worked perfectly!
Once I had that idea, I also decided to throw in some cauliflower. Why not sneak some veggies in there, while we are at it? Not only do they add a little nutrition, but they help to keep the cornbread moist. And not even DH noticed, haha!
I didn't bother to cut up the hot dogs, but you certainly could do that if you wanted to have them more evenly distributed through the casserole.
Thing 1, Thing 2, and DH were all in agreement - DELICIOUS! I hope you like it too!
This post may contain affiliate links which won’t change your price but will share some commission.
Corn Dog Casserole
If you love this recipe, please give it 5 stars!
Corn Dog CasserolePrint Recipe
- 8.5 ounces corn muffin mix (2 boxes)
- 2 eggs
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1 cup finely chopped cauliflower
- 7-8 hotdogs (I used 97% fat free hot dogs from Hebrew National)
- 1/2 cup shredded monterey jack cheese
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C).
- In a large bowl, combine the muffin mix, eggs, milk, and cauliflower.
- Spray a 9x9 casserole dish with non-stick cooking spray.
- Add about 1/2 of the corn muffin mixture to the casserole dish and spread evenly.
- Lay the hot dogs over the corn muffin mixture, then sprinkle the cheese on top.
- Add the remaining corn muffin mixture and spread evenly.
- Cover the dish and bake for 20 minutes.
- Remove cover and bake for about 5-10 more minutes, until the top is slightly brown.
If you like this recipe, you will also like my Cornbread Casserole recipe! In less than an hour you can make this amazing side dish, perfect for a backyard barbecue or church potluck. It's easy to prepare, tastes deliciously sweet and buttery, and is guaranteed to be a hit every time!
Thanks for stopping by. Before you go, you might be interested in these products!
And check out my Dizzy Busy and Hungry store on Amazon for some great kitchen products I love!