Air Fryer Broccoli is a crispy and healthy vegetable recipe that the whole family will love. Quick and easy, this recipe is ideal for busy nights but is elegant enough to serve with weekend dinner.
Serve as a low-carb side dish or over quinoa or rice for a nutritious and filling entree. Thanks to the air fryer, the broccoli stays tender but develops crispy roasted edges for a flavorful and filling veggie side!
💚 Why You'll Love This Recipe
It doesn't get any easier than making broccoli in the air fryer! With just oil and some salt and pepper, you can quickly toss together broccoli florets. In the air fryer, they'll stay nice and tender but develop a crispy outer layer that makes this broccoli irresistible!
If you've ever wondered how to air fry broccoli, this recipe has the simplest steps you can find. Great to season to your own tastes, this nutritious veggie side dish is a life saver for weeknight meals.
🧂 Ingredients Needed
- broccoli - this healthy green vegetable is always a hit in our house and cooks so well in the air fryer.
- olive oil - ensures your broccoli develops a nice crispy layer while air frying.
- salt and pepper - provides a base layer of flavor that can easily be built upon.
- Cut your broccoli into bite-size pieces and transfer to a large bowl.
- Coat with oil and toss with salt and pepper.
- Air fry at 400 degrees F for 8 minutes, then toss and air fry another 8 minutes.
- Let cool slightly, then serve and enjoy!
Absolutely! Because all you're adding is a bit of oil to get it nice and crispy, you'll enjoy all of the health benefits of broccoli, including vitamins, minerals, antioxidants, fiber, protein, and even the fact that broccoli can prevent certain types of cancer and promote heart health!
It's safe to do so, but foil may block air circulation and prevent your air fryer broccoli from cooking properly.
No, there's no need to do this extra step! If you want your broccoli extra tender, you may be able to add a tablespoon or so of water to the bottom of your air fryer, depending on what kind of air fryer you have.
Yes, but the results may not be as enjoyable. The texture will lack the crispiness that you'll get with fresh broccoli.
💭 Expert Tips and Tricks
- Purchase pre-cut broccoli florets to really make this recipe super easy. Just be sure they're not frozen, or they won't cook as well.
- Flipping the broccoli or giving the air fryer basket a good shake halfway through is essential for well cooked and crispy air fryer broccoli.
- If possible, air fry in a single layer. You may want to air fry in batches if you have a lot of broccoli.
- Cutting your florets into evenly sized pieces is also a good way to promote even cooking.
📌 This easy guide for how to cook broccoli in the air fryer is just the beginning! Feel free to branch out and add other seasonings or even other vegetables like cauliflower or carrots to create the perfect veggie side dish for you and your family.
💡 Substitutions and Variations
- Salt and pepper are a good base, but if you want more flavor add some other seasonings: chili powder, red pepper flakes, garlic powder, Italian seasoning, onion powder, smoked paprika, Parmesan cheese, or even squeeze some fresh lemon juice onto the broccoli after air frying.
- Another great oil to use is avocado oil, but anything with a fairly subtle flavor will work.
🥫 Storage and Reheating
Store your air fryer broccoli in the fridge in an airtight container for up to a week or so. Pop it back in the air fryer to reheat, as using the microwave will result in mushy broccoli.
I don't recommend freezing it, as it will mess with the texture; frozen broccoli generally doesn't reheat very well.
🍴 What To Serve With This Dish
This easy air fryer broccoli is the perfect side dish to pair with just about any meal! For an easy weeknight meal, serve it up with some Buffalo Chicken Quesadillas or Easy Thai Salmon, and for something a bit more elegant, make a Shrimp Scampi Without Wine or Crock Pot Pork Chops with Mushroom Soup.
✔️ More Air Fryer Veggie Recipes You'll Love
- Air Fryer Corn Ribs - A super healthy and tasty alternative to ribs, this recipe was a viral hit on TikTok!
- Air Fryer Frozen Vegetables - If you're looking for something that's on the incredibly easy side, try this recipe with air fried mixed vegetables.
- Air Fryer Sweet Potato Cubes - For something that combines sweet and savory, make this delicious sweet potato side dish.
- Air Fryer Asparagus - Eating Bird Food has a great and simple recipe for air fried asparagus!
Broccoli in the Air Fryer
Love this recipe? Awesome! Snap a photo and tag me on Instagram. You can find me at DizzyBusyandHungry or #dizzybusyandhungry!
⭐ Did you make this recipe? Please give it a star rating below! ⭐
📋 Recipe Card
Air Fryer Broccoli
- Cut the broccoli into bite size pieces and place them in a large bowl.3 broccoli crowns
- Drizzle the broccoli with the oil and sprinkle with the salt and pepper, then toss to coat.2 tablespoons olive oil, 1 teaspoon salt, 1 teaspoon pepper
- Place the broccoli in the air fryer basket in an even layer. Cook at 400 degrees F for 8 minutes.
- Toss the broccoli and cook for another 8 minutes.
- Let cool for 1-2 minutes and serve.
- Pre-cut broccoli florets (approximately 12 ounces) work just as well as broccoli crowns, so that can save you time! Just make sure not use to frozen broccoli. Frozen takes an entirely different approach when using the air fryer.
- Feel free to add more seasoning to the broccoli or none at all. This is just a great starting point if you are new to air frying veggies. You can add your own variety of seasonings as well! Seasoned salt, cajun seasoning, etc. are all great options.
- It’s important you toss the broccoli halfway through so it cooks evenly. You can adjust the cooking time based on your preferences as far as the doneness of the broccoli.
Nutritional information is an estimate. The nutritional values for your final dish may vary based on measuring differences and products used.
Check out my Dizzy Busy and Hungry store on Amazon for a whole bunch of great kitchen products I love!