Looking for potluck ideas? In less than an hour you can make this amazing Cornbread Casserole. This side dish is really easy to prepare, tastes deliciously sweet and buttery, and is guaranteed to be a hit every time!
When I make Cornbread Casserole, the kids actually say ‘Yay!” That hardly ever happens. I mean, there are plenty of times that they are happy about something I am making, but this reaction is more than happiness, it is exuberance. They LOVE this dish!
Bonus: Cornbread Casserole is super-easy to make! It is a great side dish to serve at your next cookout. Take it to a summer barbecue or church potluck and it will be a guaranteed hit. Or heck, it would even be good for a fall, winter, or spring potluck. Deliciousness knows no seasonal boundaries.
WHY I LOVE THIS RECIPE
This recipe is perfect year ’round and works for everyday family dinners as well as holidays and other occasions! Here’s why:
- It comes together so easily in 5 minutes – I just toss everything together and mix!
- Aside from the sour cream, the rest of the ingredients are items that I always have on hand.
- As far as potluck side dishes go, this one is always a favorite and I never have any leftovers.
- This recipe is pretty fool-proof and comes out delicious every time! (Caveat: As long as you don’t forget to set the oven timer…not that I have any experience with that, lol!)
If you are having people over for a summer barbecue, this is perfect to serve alongside my very favorite homemade burger recipe, Thai Turkey Burgers. The flavor of red curry, the savory peanut butter, the tang of lime, and the sweetness of honey all converge to make these grilled burgers a decadent and luxurious experience. And they go perfectly with the buttery sweetness of this casserole!
How to make Cornbread Casserole – Step by Step
You will need cornmeal, flour, sugar, baking powder, salt, eggs, butter, canned corn, cream corn, and sour cream.
Place the cornmeal, flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt in a large bowl and mix to combine.
Add in the eggs, butter, corn, cream corn, and sour cream.
Mix well. Batter will be thick and sticky.
Pour the batter into a 9×13 baking dish, bake, and enjoy!
FAQs FOR CORNBREAD CASSEROLE
Does cornbread casserole need to be refrigerated?
It might be OK at room temperature for a day, but if you want to store leftover casserole longer than that, you should place it in an airtight container and refrigerate it.
Can you freeze this cornbread casserole?
Yes, it can be frozen for up to 6 weeks or so, but it really is better when eaten fresh. If you freeze it, make sure to wrap it very well or use a heavy duty freezer container or zipper bag.
Can you make this dish ahead of time?
Yes, definitely! You can make it a day or two ahead of time. Bake it according to the directions, then let it cool, cover, and refrigerate. When you are ready to serve, heat it in a 350 degree oven to refresh it (15-20 minutes or until warmed through).
Can you use corn flour instead of cornmeal?
Yes, you can use corn flour, but the texture will turn out a little different. Corn flour is essentially more finely ground cornmeal. So you will still get that great corn taste, but the final product will be a little more cake-like.
TIPS FOR perfect CORNBREAD CASSEROLE every time
- Make sure your cornmeal isn’t stale. Cornmeal can be stored in the refrigerator or freezer, in an airtight container, to maximize how long it will remain fresh.
- Don’t overbake your casserole or it will get dried out.
- If you are baking the casserole and then traveling to a potluck, take the baking dish out of the oven and cover it tightly with foil to keep it warm. You may want to consider using a casserole tote that will keep your dish warm!
Variations for your cornbread casserole
- Want to make this dish a little healthier? Use whole wheat flour instead of white flour.
- Maybe you would like it to be a little sweeter? Increase the sugar to 4 tablespoons.
- Looking for it to be a little less sweet? Decrease the sugar to 2, or even 1 tablespoon.
- Would you like to make this into a main dish? Add a cup of diced, cooked sausage (sweet or hot, whichever you prefer) right before baking.
- Thinking you would like this dish to be cheesy? About 5 minutes before the casserole is done, remove it from the oven, sprinkle it with a cup of your favorite shredded cheese (cheddar works really well), then place it back in the oven to finish baking.
This dish pairs well with these amazingly easy Crab Cakes, or this delicious and lightened up Chicken Fried Steak. Or for something a little different, try serving it with this neat recipe for Crock Pot Turkey Legs.
If you love this recipe, please give it 5 stars!
Recipe adapted from The Coconut Head’s Survival Guide.
Cornbread Casserole: Super Easy Potluck IdeaPrint Recipe
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
- Mix together the cornmeal, flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt.
- Add in the eggs, butter, corn, cream corn, and sour cream.
- Pour mixture into a 9x13 casserole dish lightly sprayed with non-stick cooking spray.
- Bake for 45-50 minutes.
- Use fresh cornmeal for the best taste.
- Be sure not to overbake - the casserole is done when the edges start to brown.
- To take this dish to a potluck, remove the baking dish from the oven and cover it tightly with foil to keep it warm. Or check out this handy casserole tote with a warmer!
- To make this a day or two ahead, bake it according to the directions, then let it cool. Cover the casserole and refrigerate. Before serving, place in a 350 degree oven for 15-20 minutes or until warmed through.
- To freeze leftovers, use a heavy duty freezer container or zipper bag.
- Leftovers that will be eaten in 2-3 days can be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator. Heat in the microwave or toaster oven before serving.
Update Notes: This post was originally published in July 2014, but was republished with tips, step by step photos, and a recipe change in June 2019.
If you are in search of more potluck ideas…
This Easy Taco Bake Casserole is like a tasty taco salad in the form of a casserole.
Pizza and pasta together on one delicious dish? Sign me up for this Pizza Pasta Skillet Casserole!
And this King Ranch Chicken Casserole is a creamy and cheesy chicken dish…you can’t go wrong!
Check out my Dizzy Busy and Hungry store on Amazon for other great kitchen products I love!