Fresh fruit season is here! Hooray!
I love recipes with lots of produce, like this fruit salad, or like my fresh Fruit and Vegetable Salad (yes, fruits and vegetables in the same salad…it’s delicious!)
Of course, the best places to get really fresh and delicious produce are the local farmer’s markets and seasonal produce stands.
However, recently I found myself at Walmart looking at packages of the biggest, juiciest-looking blackberries I had ever seen! I absolutely had to buy them, and while I was at it, I picked up some gorgeous, perfectly ripe strawberries as well.
I don’t know if those of you with kids have this same experience, but if I buy fruit and just leave it in the refrigerator, no one eats it.
It is like it is invisible or something. I am not sure how that can be, since every time Thing 1 is hungry, he comes down and opens the fridge and stares into it, looking for something to eat.
I have even tried placing the fruit front and center, right at the eye level of the boys, in an effort to get them to eat more fruit and less junk for snacks. But it never works!
So there are two other strategies that I have tried in order to change up the situation a bit.
The first approach is to leave fruit out on the counter. We always have apples, orange, and bananas available, right on the counter, for them to grab and eat. That actually has worked to some extent! The apples especially have been a big hit, and I even find myself reaching for an apple more often as well.
The second tactic is to dress up the fruit in the refrigerator to make it more appealing, which is where this fruit salad comes into play!
Sometimes I just throw bite-sized pieces of various fruits into a bowl and call it a fruit salad (call me lazy, but you really don’t need much else when the fruit is so delicious already!).
In this case, however, I made a SCRUMPTIOUS dressing that has me drooling even now, days later. It was SO delicious, and the perfect compliment to bring out the wonderful fruity flavors.
The dressing would work well with any fruit combination, so you can customize this this recipe depending on what is in season or what you have on hand. The family loved it, and the huge bowl of fruit in the refrigerator disappeared within hours!
Berry Delicious Fruit SaladPrint Recipe
- Cut the strawberries and pineapple into bite-sized chunks. Add the blackberries and grapes. Set aside.
- Combine the lime juice, pineapple juice, sugar, and vanilla extract. Stir until the sugar is dissolved.
- Add the dressing to the bowl of fruit and toss to combine. Serve plain, or topped with whipped cream for an extra special treat!
May is salad month and I got together with some of my favorite blogger friends and put together a Summer Salad Recipe Round Up with some really delicious salad recipes. I’m not sure which one I want to try first! It would be great if you would take a moment and pin some of your favorites you find here…..
1. Tzatziki Pasta Salad from Life Tastes Good
2. Zesty Bread Salad with Meyer Lemon Vinaigrette from The Cookie Rookie
3. Honey Dijon Spinach Salad from Grumpy’s Honeybunch
4. Berry Delicious Fruit Salad from Dizzy Busy and Hungry
5. Orecchiette Greek Pasta Salad from Recipes, Food and Cooking
6. Bacon Ranch Potato Salad from Num’s the Word
7. Jalapeno Popper Pasta Salad from Flavor Mosaic
8. Super Salad from Memories By the Mile
9. BLT Chopped Salad from Food Storage Moms
10. Mexican Lime Quinoa Salad from Hot Eats and Cool Reads