Danielle’s Super Easy Chicken Pot Pie – This creamy, delicious family meal is quick and easy and the kids love it! This is how to make chicken pot pie on a budget. It has simple ingredients and is ready in 35 minutes. Its my favorite comforting, savory pie filled with fresh vegetables and a flaky crust.
Most of the time, by this point in January, my New Year’s resolutions are out the window!
I am back to my same old bad habits that I had every good intention of changing back on January 1st.
But this year, I am still going strong with one of my resolutions related to my blog.
I have made it my goal in 2016 to do recipe remodels on my favorite recipes that I posted a few years ago, before I knew anything about blogging or food photography.
And this super easy chicken pot pie recipe was definitely near the top of the list of recipes I wanted to remodel!
The recipe is just as delicious as it was back in 2013. But, I updated the images to show you that this is a very beautiful chicken pot pie. Look at the rainbow-colored vegetables!
Danielle’s Chicken Pot Pie is always a family favorite, and it is SO incredibly easy. Sometimes I even cheat a little to make it easier when I know that I will have very little time to prepare a good dinner.
On those nights, I use precooked, diced chicken, so I don’t even have to cut the chicken breasts into pieces. I still do the same step of heating it in the olive oil with the onion, garlic salt, and pepper, I just heat it a few minutes less since it is already cooked.
Or, I save a few dollars by using the leftovers from my Slow Cooker Whole Chicken recipe. That is a lot cheaper than buying precooked chicken and it gives the pot pie an extra boost of flavor from the spices in that recipe!
The rest of the recipe couldn’t be easier, just toss in a bag of frozen mixed veggies, a can of cream of chicken soup, some milk, pour the whole thing into a refrigerated pie crust, toss the second crust on top, and you are good to go!
Next time you are short on time and want to make a quick family meal that everyone will love, I suggest making this super easy chicken pot pie. To make it even easier, I used Pillsbury’s Refrigerated Pie Crust. If you have more time, then make a simple homemade pie crust for a more flaky top.
Chicken recipes, in my home, are always devoured and the plates are licked clean. If your family is like mine, they will love my Chicken Potato Bake recipe which is also quick and easy to make.
Sometimes, I even throw Chicken and Wild Rice into my slow cooker for a hassle free chicken dinner. This way, I have more time to spend with my family and less time in the kitchen.
Its a win-win situation!
For the chicken pot pie gravy, I used a can of cream of chicken soup. I found that chicken soup brings out the flavors of the vegetables and chicken.
I hope your family loves this homemade chicken pot pie recipe as much as my family. Its our favorite fight-the-cold-winter-night-blues recipe.
What’s your must-have chicken pot pie ingredient?
Danielle’s Super Easy Chicken Pot Pie
Danielle's Super Easy Chicken Pot Pie
- ½ tablespoon olive oil
- 3 boneless skinless chicken breasts cut into bite-sized pieces
- ½ cup onion chopped
- ½ teaspoon garlic salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- 16 oz mixed vegetables 1 bag frozen vegetables
- 10.75 oz cream of chicken soup 1 can, I used reduced fat
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1 cup cheddar cheese, divided shredded reduced-fat
- 2 pie crust refrigerated
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
- Heat olive oil in a large skillet.
- Add chicken, onion, garlic salt, and pepper, and cook until the chicken is done.
- Mix in the vegetables, chicken soup, and milk, and cook until heated through.
- Spray a 1.5 quart casserole dish with cooking spray, and place the first pie crust along the bottom and up the sides.
- Stir ½ cup cheddar cheese into the chicken/vegetable mix, and then pour into the casserole dish.
- Sprinkle the top of the chicken mixture with the remaining 1/2 cup cheddar cheese, and then arrange the second crust on top.
- Cut a slit in the middle of the crust, and place in the oven.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes, until the crust is golden brown.
Note: This post has been shared at THESE link parties!
Want to keep up with the latest yummy recipes on DBH?
Sign up to receive new recipes in your inbox (only 1 email per week)!