Stop the presses!!! Cheesy Chicken and Rice got a rating of …. drumroll please….
When I find something that Thing 2 really, really likes, it makes me so happy, because it doesn’t happen all that often. So of course I have to share it!
I have been making it for years, and every so often even made 1.5 times the recipe to serve at parties or for when we were entertaining extended family. It has been a hit every time. I have been using this recipe for so many years, it has undergone multiple iterations of rewriting and changing and at this point I am not completely sure where it originated.
Regardless, this creamy, cheesy dish is perfect for a cold rainy day. The family loves when I make it on a weekend and they get to enjoy the wonderful aroma all day while it cooks!
Cheesy Chicken and RicePrint Recipe
- 2 pounds chicken (boneless, skinless, cut into 1 inch cubes)
- 12 ounces wild rice mix (I use Uncle Ben's Original Recipe)
- 2 1/2 cups water
- 10 ounces condensed cheddar soup (1 can)
- 1/2 cup buttery spread, melted (I use Brummel and Brown)
- 2 onions (chopped)
- 2 cups broccoli florets
- 1/2 pound Velveeta cheese (cut into cubes)
- Mix all ingredients thoroughly.
- Place in crock pot.
- Cover and cook on low 6-10 hours.
Note: Sometimes at the last minute I steam some additional broccoli and then stir it in, just to add some color. The broccoli that cooks in the crock all day really loses a lot of color. And adding more broccoli is never a bad thing!
Note: This post has been shared at THESE link parties!
Want to keep up with the latest yummy recipes on DBH?
Sign up to receive new recipes in your inbox (only 1 email per week)!