Lightened up and easy to make, yet still so delicious, this Baked Chicken Fried Steak is a hearty dish your whole family will love!
This is chicken fried steak at its best! The beef is so moist and delicious because its baked slowly in the oven. Finally, I topped it with a rich chicken gravy which is irresistible!
So, what is chicken fried steak?
My boys call this dish 'a lie on a plate'.
Well, it isn't chicken, and it isn't fried. So it's really two lies!
But who's counting?!
(PS: I do have a true Chicken Potato Bake recipe which has chicken and is baked, LOL.)
(PPS: If you like to 'chicken fry' things that aren't actually chicken, try this Vegan Fried Chicken recipe! Don't be put off by the fact that it's vegan - this recipe is crispy, crunchy, and meaty and is actually so much better for you than chicken or beef!)
Anyway, I really do love a good chicken fried steak, but I can do without all the fat and calories. So one day when I was craving this dish, I decided to try it with a 'fake frying' method, which I also use with calamari (YUM) and actual chicken as well.
I couldn't believe how tasty it was!
Baked cube steak recipes are really popular among my readers. When cooked, they are so tender and juicy. Plus they are so filling.
You can never go wrong with beef recipes for dinner. One of my family favorites is this crock pot beef and mushroom recipe. It takes very little effort to make which means less work for me.
Recently, I discovered that beef and broccoli are best friends. I put them together in this crock pot beef and broccoli recipe which just made everyone jump with joy.
And if you are looking for more baked chicken recipes, I recently made this baked breaded lemon chicken which was well received by Thing 2!
I cheated a little in this chicken fried steak recipe by using cube steak from Certified Angus Beef, which is already tenderized when you buy it. But it was well worth it! However, you can also tenderize your own steak using a tenderizer if you have one.
How to make Chicken Fried Steak (Baked)
📋 Recipe Card
Baked Chicken Fried Steak
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C).
- Spray a baking sheet with non-stick spray.
- Combine flour, salt, and bread crumbs in one bowl.⅓ cup flour, 1 and ½ teaspoons salt, ⅔ cup seasoned bread crumbs
- In a separate bowl, beat the eggs and milk together.2 egg whites, 2 tablespoons milk
- Dip one cube steak into the flour mixture first.1 and ½ pounds cube steak
- Next, dip the cube steak in the egg mixture.
- Dip it in the flour mixture one more time.
- Place on the baking sheet.
- Repeat the steps for the remaining steak cubes.
- Place tray in the oven and bake for 10 minutes.
- Turn the steaks over and bake for another 5-10 minutes.
- When the meat is done and the breading is browned, the chicken fried steak is ready.
- Warm the gravy in the microwave and serve alongside the steaks.12 ounces chicken gravy
Nutritional information is an estimate. The nutritional values for your final dish may vary based on measuring differences and products used.
Check out these other great recipes!
Appetizers, Soups, and Salads
- Baked Kibbeh with Yogurt Sauce by Food Lust People Love
- Italian Wedding Soup by Hardly A Goddess
- Lighter Tex-Mex Albondigas Soup by The Weekend Gourmet
- Steak Taco Salad Wonton Cups by Caroline’s Cooking
- Warm Steak Salad by Food Done Light
Lean Ground Beef Recipes
- Cheeseburger Stew by Our Good Life
- Cheesesteak Bruschetta by The Food Hunter’s Guide to Cuisine
- Clean Eating Sloppy Joes by A Mind “Full” Mom
- Old Fashioned Porcupine Meatballs by Turnips 2 Tangerines
- Smothered Hamburger Steaks by Grumpy’s Honeybunch
- Spaghetti Squash with Chili by Recipes Food and Cooking
- BBQ Filet Beef Tips by The Freshman Cook
- Beef Broccoli Pasta by Wholistic Woman
- Beef Ddukboki (Non-Spicy Sautéed Korean Rice Cakes) by kimchi MOM
- Beef Steak Fajitas by Asian In America
- Beef Vegetable Stir-Fry by Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Skinny Beef Enchiladas with Creamy Avocado Sauce by Mindy’s Cooking Obsession
Sandwiches and Wraps
- Asian Steak Lettuce Wraps by The Chef Next Door
- My Big Lean Greek Beef Wrap by Go Epicurista
- Slow Cooker Tuscan French Dips by A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures
- Spicy Beef Lettuce Wraps by Pies and Plots
- Spicy Beef Tacos by Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Baked Chicken Fried Steak by Dizzy Busy and Hungry
- Chile Lime Flank Steak Tacos by The Redhead Baker
- Filet Mignon with Roasted Vegetable Salad by A Day in the Life on the Farm
- Flank Steak Roulades by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Roasted Garlic Sirloin Steak with Rosemary by Cooking Chat
- Swiss Steak by Palatable Pastime