Delicious slow cooker pasta dish with a nutritional boost from mushrooms and spinach!
It did take me a couple of tries to get this just right. It is easy to overcook the ziti and then you are left with Pasta Mush. It is not a bad-tasting dish, but not the best aesthetic, either.
To avoid Pasta Mush, you want to start with uncooked ziti noodles. Which works out great, because it effectively eliminates a recipe step AND another pot to wash. Hooray!
The second tip is to be careful with your timing. Normally there will be a wide window of cooking time for slow cooker recipes. For this one, I found that it was done at the 4 hour mark, and if I let it go for more than 5 hours, I had Pasta Mush.
So set that timer for 4 hours, and try to serve it fairly soon after it is done for the best results!
This post may contain affiliate links which won’t change your price but will share some commission.
Slow Cooker Baked Ziti with Mushrooms and Spinach
If you love this recipe, please give it 5 stars!
Slow Cooker Baked Ziti With Mushrooms and Spinach
- Spray the inside of the slow cooker with cooking spray.
- In a medium bowl, combine the ricotta cheese, egg whites, Parmesan cheese, 1/2 cup mozzarella, salt, and pepper.
- Cover the bottom of the slow cooker with about half of the ziti noodles.
- Pour about 2 cups of spaghetti sauce over the top and spread evenly with a spoon.
- Distribute about half of the ricotta mixture on top of the sauce and spread evenly.
- Place the mushrooms on top of the ricotta, and then the spinach.
- Place remaining noodles on top, then spread another 2 cups of sauce, then spread the remaining ricotta cheese mixture.
- Pour the remaining sauce on top and spread evenly.
- Cook on low for about 4 hours. No more than 5!
- About 5 minutes before serving, remove lid and sprinkle the remaining mozzarella cheese over top. Replace the lid and let the cheese melt before serving.
Thanks for stopping by. Before you go, you might be interested in these products!
And check out my Dizzy Busy and Hungry store on Amazon for some great kitchen products I love!