Try this Buffalo Chicken Cobb Salad for a lightened up, delicious way to enjoy the flavor of buffalo wings without all the mess and calories! Munch on crisp lettuce and cucumbers with healthy tomato and creamy avocado and egg, together with shredded chicken coated in yummy buffalo sauce, and all topped with your favorite blue cheese dressing.
This is a quick and filling meal that your family will love! And you will love knowing that they are getting some great veggie nutrition at the same time!
👩🏻🍳 Why You'll Love This Recipe
When I hear salad, I'm not always immediately excited. But when it comes to this recipe for buffalo chicken salad, I find myself even craving it! A classic Cobb salad with the added kick from shredded chicken drenched in buffalo sauce, this recipe is a guilt-free and healthy meal that really delivers on flavor.
Best of all, this salad is easy to prepare in large portions so you can feed the whole family. Like my Easy Halloumi Salad, this is a flavorful and bold salad that will have your family asking for seconds!
🥘 Ingredients Needed
- shredded chicken - this salad with buffalo chicken is a great way to use leftover chicken and ensure nothing goes to waste.
- buffalo sauce - gives the chicken its signature kick and bold flavor.
- lettuce - acts as the base for your salad.
- cucumber - for some extra veggies and a refreshing and light flavor.
- tomatoes - add more color and sweet acidity.
- hard boiled eggs - a classic ingredient for Cobb salads that provide some protein.
- avocado - help make this salad filling.
- blue cheese dressing - for a distinct and sharp cheesy flavor.
- Combine chicken and buffalo sauce.
- Create a solid layer of lettuce in whatever dish you're preparing your salad in.
- Add tomatoes and cucumbers.
- Spoon in the buffalo chicken.
- Add the avocado, hard boiled eggs, and drizzle with blue cheese dressing.
A Cobb salad is typically composed of lettuce, hard boiled eggs, tomato, avocado, bacon, chicken, and blue cheese. Typically served with a red wine vinaigrette, what makes this salad so distinctive is that the ingredients are typically arranged in neat rows.
One of the most classic dressings used for this kind of salad is made of red wine vinegar, mustard, olive oil, Worcestershire sauce, garlic, and lemon juice.
This all depends on the toppings. Many classic Cobb salads include bacon and chicken (sometimes fried) which can add a lot of calories and fat. This version uses shredded chicken and omits the bacon, and many of the other ingredients are veggies that are high in fiber and nutrients.
The simplest version of this sauce is made from butter, hot sauce, and vinegar. Many versions also include cayenne pepper or Worcestershire sauce for extra savory and spicy flavor.
💭 Expert Tips and Tricks
- Reserve some buffalo sauce to serve on the side for anybody who wants some extra kick to their salad.
- It may be a good idea to leave the dressing off the salad and allow people to add it themselves. You can also offer a choice between ranch and blue cheese.
- Shred leftover chicken to use for your salad. If you don't have chicken on hand, you can buy a rotisserie chicken and shred that, or pop a couple of chicken breasts in the oven for 20-25 minutes (make sure the internal temperature gets up to at least 165 degrees F).
This buffalo chicken salad recipe is a great option for a healthy family dinner, or as a fresh and exciting side. You can even eat this as a hearty and filling lunch!
📖 Substitutions and Variations
- For additional toppings, go for bacon bits, bell pepper, red or white onion, celery, walnuts, green onions, blue cheese crumbles, carrots, croutons, or corn chips.
- Adding arugula or baby spinach is a great way to provide even more nutrition for your buffalo chicken salad.
Your Buffalo Chicken Cobb Salad will last for up to 5 days when stored properly in an airtight container in the refrigerator. I've found they do best when you store them without the dressing.
I don't recommend freezing leftovers or making salads ahead and freezing them. Lettuce doesn't freeze and defrost well.
⏲️ Make Ahead Instructions
To streamline prep, you can prepare the buffalo chicken and keep it in the fridge ahead of time.
The same is true of the vegetables and boiled eggs--you can easily prepare and slice these a day or so beforehand and keep them in the fridge until it's time to put your salad together.
💡 What To Serve With This Dish
While I like serving this salad as an entree, it also makes a great side dish for something elegant and filling like Crock Pot Pork Chops or One Pot Sausage and Couscous.
Or, pair it with a tasty Cornbread Casserole or Cheddar Bacon Slow Cooker Bread for a fun and filling dinner!
🌶 More Buffalo Recipes You'll Love
- Buffalo Chicken Quesadillas - Crispy and cheesy, this recipe is great for a quick dinner or lunch.
- Crock Pot Buffalo Chicken Mac and Cheese - A filling and comforting slow cooker meal that combines creamy mac and cheese with zesty buffalo chicken
- Air Fryer Buffalo Cauliflower - For something a little on the healthier side, make these air fryer buffalo "chicken" bites made from cauliflower!
- Buffalo Chicken Dip - Cafe Delites brings us a classic dip recipe that will be a huge hit at any party or game day.
Buffalo Chicken Salad Recipe
Love this recipe? Awesome! Please give it a 5 star ⭐ rating below! And if you make this, snap a photo and tag me on Instagram. You can find me at DizzyBusyandHungry or #dizzybusyandhungry!
📋 Recipe Card
Buffalo Chicken Cobb Salad
- 1 pound cooked chicken, shredded
- ¼ cup buffalo sauce (or more, to taste)
- 8 cups chopped lettuce
- 2 cups chopped cucumber
- 2 roma tomatoes, sliced
- 4 hard-boiled eggs, sliced
- 1 avocado, sliced
- blue cheese dressing
- Mix together the chicken and the buffalo sauce.1 pound cooked chicken, shredded, ¼ cup buffalo sauce
- Lay down a bed of lettuce on a serving tray or in each individual dish.8 cups chopped lettuce
- Top the lettuce with rows of cucumber, tomato, chicken, egg, and avocado (place in whatever order you wish).2 cups chopped cucumber, 2 roma tomatoes, sliced, 4 hard-boiled eggs, sliced, 1 avocado, sliced
- Drizzle with blue cheese dressing.blue cheese dressing
- Serving idea - offer a choice of ranch dressing or blue cheese.
- Reserve some extra buffalo sauce and serve on the side for anyone who likes a little extra kick.
- Crumble bacon on top of the salad for extra flavor.
- For extra nutrition, include some fresh baby spinach or arugula with the lettuce.
Nutritional information is an estimate. The nutritional values for your final dish may vary based on measuring differences and products used.
Thanks so much for reading! I also invite you to follow me on FACEBOOK, PINTEREST, or INSTAGRAM to keep up with what's going on in my kitchen.
And you might want to check out my Dizzy Busy and Hungry store on Amazon for a whole bunch of great kitchen products I love!
Quick, healthy, and delicious! This is my kind of meal! I will be making on repeat!
Fabulous salad! Super easy to make and I love that it makes a full meal!
I love to make main course salads in the summer, this will be perfect for a hot night!
I’m always looking for new salads to make during summer. I can’t wait to try this one for dinner tonight!
We've been wanting salads on repeat because it's so hot out and this was a fun way to switch up our salad routine! Thanks for the recipe!