Layered whole wheat tortilla casserole with refried beans, chicken, salsa, and lots of melted cheese!
I am always excited to make a dish where I can do all the work up front (not too much work, though!) and then forget about it while it cooks. The crock pot is perfect for that, as are casseroles and other baked dishes. Now that summer is winding down and it is not as hot outside, I am getting back into the swing of using my oven!
This recipe is great because you put it together, throw it in the oven, and then go about your business until it is ready. While you are waiting, you can do the laundry, empty the dishwasher, help the kids with their homework, etc. OR, here’s a better idea…sit down, put your feet up, and relax for a bit! Maybe even have a little glass of wine! Either way, you will still have a great meal ready for the whole family in 25 to 30 minutes. 🙂
Fiesta Lasagna is what it sounds like: kind of like a lasagna, but with a Mexican spin. Tortillas play the part of the lasagna noodles, salsa and a southwest corn blend provide great flavor and chunks of veggies, and fiesta style shredded cheese melts into a gooey, cheese-y deliciousness that holds the whole thing together. The result is a flavorful, fun dish that is easy and healthy, too. (Shhhh…don’t tell the kids, but I snuck some fresh spinach in there as well, to give it a little extra nutritional boost!!)
One of the secrets to this dish is to use Bird’s Eye Seasoned Southwestern corn (in the freezer section). It has some additional seasoning, and red and green peppers and onion. But, if you don’t have it on hand, you can always use regular frozen corn and you should be fine.
Also, you can adjust the amounts or substitute ingredients in the recipe as you wish. Love refried beans? Increase the amount on each layer. Watching your sodium? Substitute low sodium salsa. It is a very forgiving recipe, which gives you tons of options!
This looks so pretty right when it comes out of the oven, I had to take a picture before cutting into it (see it below, under the recipe)! What the picture does not illustrate is that DH, Thing1 and Thing 2 were behind me in the house, hungrily waiting for me to decide that I had enough pictures so that we could actually have dinner! Thanks, guys, for being so patient!!
Fiesta LasagnaPrint Recipe
- 3 (10 inch) whole wheat tortillas
- 1 cup fat free refried beans
- 1 1/2 cups chunky salsa
- 1 1/2 cups chicken (diced and cooked)
- 2 cups Bird's Eye Seasoned Southwestern Corn
- 6 ounces fresh baby spinach
- 1 cup reduced fat fiesta blend shredded cheese
- 1/4 cup green onion (chopped)
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Spray a 9 inch cake pan with cooking spray. Place one of the tortillas in the bottom, letting the edges go up the sides if the tortilla is a bit bigger than the pan.
- Spread 1/2 cup of the refried beans on the tortilla, then 1/3 cup of the salsa.
- Distribute 3/4 cup of chicken and 1 cup of the corn evenly on top.
- Spread out a handful of the spinach and top with 1/3 cup of the cheese.
- Place the second tortilla on top. If the tortilla is larger than the pan, trim the edges so that it fits better (it doesn't need to be perfect, though).
- Repeat layering of the beans, salsa, chicken, corn, spinach, and cheese.
- Place the third tortilla in the pan and trim edges if needed. Top with remaining salsa and cheese. Sprinkle with green onion.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes.
If you like this recipe, you will love my Dorito Casserole, with layers of chips, beans, salsa, and olives sandwiched between sour cream and cheese!