The whole family is going to go crazy for this recipe for Dorito Casserole. Layers of chips, beans, salsa, and olives sandwiched between sour cream and cheese? What's not to love, it's like snack food for dinner!!
Junk food for dinner?
There is so much about this recipe to love. The kids are going to love it, the grownups are going to love it - everyone is going to give it 5 stars!
And yes, one of the ingredients is junk food. But what I love about this recipe is that it can be lightened up and will still be delicious!
You may be wondering, how can a recipe that includes a snack food like chips be healthy-ish, but stay with me here.
Even though tortilla chips are not healthy, some of the other ingredients have some good nutritional value. Plus, you can choose tortilla chips that minimize the sodium content and also are multi-grain. The goal is to maximize the nutrition while minimizing empty calories!
Dorito casserole or chilaquiles - which is it?
Actually, they are one and the same!
Kinda like baked nachos, this is a spin on a recipe for which the traditional name is chilaquiles.
Pronounced chee-la-KEY-lays, it's actually a breakfast dish served with eggs. You can check out more information on chilaquiles in this Wikipedia article. But it's a great evening meal idea as well, and I promise you serving this for dinner is going to make you the fav in the family, come supper-time!
🥘 Ingredients Needed
- salsa, tomato sauce, chopped green chiles, kidney, beans, olives - good chance you have all of these ingredients in your pantry, right?
- Doritos - use your favorite variety!
- cumin - this simple spice adds great earthy seasoning.
- light sour cream, reduced-fat Monterey Jack cheese - no jack cheese? You can certainly substitute cheddar or other melty cheese.
- chopped cilantro - adds freshness to the baked casserole.
- In a bowl, mix together the salsa, tomato sauce, chiles, kidney beans, olives, and cumin.
- Distribute half of this mixture in the bottom of the baking dish.
- Layer about half of the Doritos, then dollop the sour cream over the chips and spread it out.
- Sprinkle about half of the shredded cheese over the sour cream.
- Layer the other half of the Doritos, the spread the rest of the sauce mixture, then sprinkle the rest of the cheese.
- Bake and serve!
🧂 Suggested Toppings
Though chilaquiles aren't nachos, you can certainly use your favorite nacho toppings to finish off this meal! Spicy salsa will up the heat up this meal. Creamy sour cream will cool it down.
Sliced olives, red onions, avocados, jalapeños, or minced cilantro can all enhance the flavor of this casserole and create a super-delicious meal for your family!
💭 Top Tips
- Make the sauce the day before and store it in the fridge.
- When you get home from work, start the oven preheating while you assemble everything in the baking dish. That way, you cut out some of the prep time and you will have dinner on the table in 40 minutes tops.
- Do not crush the Doritos. Small pieces turn to mush when cooking. Just layer in the chips right from the bag.
- You can mix up the Doritos flavors and the cheese. Use your family's favorites!
Here are some great variations you can try!
- Use hot salsa for extra spice, or mild salsa less heat.
- Skip the green chiles if you are going for a super-mild casserole.
- Try pinto beans or black beans instead of kidney beans.
- Instead of Doritos, use plain tortilla chips. They even have a low-salt version you can try if you are watching salt intake.
- Substitute cheddar cheese or colby for the monterey jack.
- Skip the cumin if you don't have it on hand - it adds a nice dimension to the flavor, but it isn't absolutely necessary to the recipe.
- Top with avocado slices or guacamole. Yum!
🥗 Suggested Side Dishes
- A bright fresh fruit salad would be fantastic and easy to put together while the dish is in the oven.
- Potato and Grilled Corn Salad - it's lightened-up and tangy. This potato salad is made with grilled corn, green onions, and fresh dill.
- Cornbread Casserole - I love this casserole, it's creamy, crunchy and sweet. It would be a delicious side wish this meal!
- Mexican Roasted Zucchini - easy to make and roasting the zucchini gives it tons of flavor!
More of my favorite Mexican recipes!
If you're looking for more great flavorful meals, Posole is easy to make and this recipe has great authentic flavor.
Recipe for Dorito Casserole
This post may contain affiliate links which won’t change your price but will share some commission.
Love this recipe? Awesome! Please give it a 5 star rating below! And if you make this, snap a photo and tag me on Instagram. You can find me at DizzyBusyandHungry or #dizzybusyandhungry!
Cheesy Dorito CasserolePrint Recipe
- 1 cup salsa (medium or medium hot)
- 8 ounce can of tomato sauce
- 4 ounce can of chopped green chiles (do not drain)
- 14 ounce can kidney beans (drained and rinsed)
- 3.8 ounce can sliced olives (drained)
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 11 ounce bag of Doritos
- 1/2 cup sour cream (use light, if desired)
- 2 cups shredded Monterey Jack cheese (use reduced fat, if desired)
- chopped cilantro (as desired)
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
- Combine the salsa, tomato sauce, chiles, kidney beans, olives, and cumin in a large bowl.
- Place half the sauce in the bottom of an 8 x 11 inch baking dish.
- Add a layer of Doritos.
- Spread the sour cream over the Doritos (use your fingers or a spoon to spread the sour cream somewhat evenly over the chips).
- Distribute about 1/2 the cheese over the sour cream.
- Add remaining Doritos, then distribute remaining sauce on top, then add final layer of remaining cheese.
- Bake about 25-30 minutes.
- Sprinkle with cilantro if desired.
- For easier prep, make the sauce ahead of time and keep it in the refrigerator until you are ready to make the casserole.
- No need to crush the Doritos. It actually works best with larger pieces.
- Experiment with different Doritos varieties and cheeses!
- To avoid drying out, don't over bake. If you feel you didn't over bake but it comes out drier than you would like, increase the amount of tomato sauce next time.
- Top with avocado slices, guacamole, sour cream, salsa, pico de gallo, jalapeno slices, cilantro, or a combination of these. There's lot you can do with this recipe to mix it up!
Check out my Dizzy Busy and Hungry store on Amazon for a whole bunch of great kitchen products I love!