Your whole family will love this delicious, Skillet Ground Beef Recipe made with orzo and briny olives. Topped with yummy feta cheese, this one pot easy dinner meal is a family favorite! Because it's made in just one pan, you'll not only love how it tastes, but clean-up is a breeze!
👩🏻🍳 Why You'll Love This Recipe
One skillet meals are da bomb! With easy prep and easy cleanup, these meals are perfect for the busiest days, and leftovers make a great lunch on day two!
If you like meals like this one, you've got to try this Stovetop Mac and Cheese as well!
Or check out this delicious One Pot Sausage and Couscous meal. It's a hearty, flavorful 25 minute meal made in just one pot for super easy prep and cleanup!
🥘 Ingredients Needed
For a complete list of ingredients, please refer to the recipe card at the bottom of this post.
- lean ground beef - can substitute ground chicken or turkey.
- onion, garlic, fresh spinach, tomato - easy fresh items that really make this meal!
- beef broth (1 can) - in a pinch you can use beef bullion.
- pitted green olives - the briny olives really make this meal!
- feta cheese - crumbled
- pepper and oregano - just a few ingredient from the spice cabinet.
- orzo pasta - any small pasta will work if you don't have orzo. Try ditalini, elbow or even alphabet pasta would be fun!
Please note: This is an overview of the instructions. You'll find the complete instructions in the recipe card at the bottom of this post.
- Using a large skillet brown the ground beef, sauté with the onion and garlic.
- Drain the excess fat. Add the broth, olives, feta cheese, pepper, and oregano. Bring to a boil.
- Stir in the orzo pasta, and return to a simmer.
- Reduce heat, cover, and simmer for about 12 minutes until the pasta is tender.
- Add the spinach on top, the recover and cook for another 5 minutes allowing the spinach to wilt.
- Add the diced tomato and stir everything together.
- Serve topped with reserved cheese sprinkled on top for garnish.
Use a large 16 inch skillet with at least 2 inch height on the sides. That way it will be easy to mix everything together without it spilling onto the stovetop.
If you're using a well seasoned cast iron skillet or a non-stick pan, there's no need for excess oil. It's a great way to cut down on calories!
A higher heat will cook the meat faster and draw out the moisture more quickly. Use a medium heat for best results. Allow the crumbled meat to brown on the first side before stirring.
Allow ground beef skillet to cool completely. Then, transfer into a resealable container. It will last refrigerated 3-5 days.
This recipe for skillet ground beef freezes well up to three months.
💭 Helpful Tips
- Purchase a brick of feta cheese as opposed to crumbles. It's less expensive in the long run and the cheese will stay fresh longer.
Pro Tip: A deep skillet or dutch oven works perfectly for this recipe.
- I prefer to use lean ground beef, but you can substitute ground pork, chicken, or turkey.
- Using white or brown rice is an option instead of orzo pasta. Be sure to increase the cooking time and adjust the liquid to accommodate the rice.
🥗 Suggested Side Dishes
Here are some great recipes that will be terrific served alongside this meal!
🍞 Related Recipes
Here are a few more great one pot recipes I think you'll enjoy!
- Spicy Tortellini Skillet Dinner with Tomatoes - topped with parmesan cheese and a sprinkle of red pepper flakes it's the perfect amount of spicy goodness!
- This recipe for Hidden Veggie Sloppy Joe Sliders cooks up in the skillet in no time! And shhh.... no one will be the wiser that it's packed with delicious veggies.
- Skillet Tortellini and Zucchini - skip the fussy prep and boiling - this meal is all made in your fry pan!
- Chicken and Potatoes is also made in a skillet with briny olives. This is a great one pot meal!
Skillet Ground Beef Recipe
Love this recipe? Awesome! Please give it a 5 star ⭐ rating below! And if you make this, snap a photo and tag me on Instagram. You can find me at DizzyBusyandHungry or #dizzybusyandhungry!
📋 Recipe Card
One Skillet Ground Beef Recipe with Orzo
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 14.5 oz beef broth (1 can)
- 3.5 oz pitted green olives (1 jar, drained and halved)
- 6 oz crumbled feta cheese (set some aside for garnish if desired)
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- ½ teaspoon dried oregano
- 8 ounces orzo pasta (uncooked)
- 5 oz fresh spinach
- 1 cup chopped tomato
- In a large skillet, start to brown the ground beef. When it is about halfway done, add the onion and garlic.1 pound lean ground beef, 1 cup chopped onion, 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- Cook until the ground beef is completely done. Spoon off excess fat, then add the broth, olives, feta cheese, pepper, and oregano. Bring to a boil.14.5 oz beef broth, 3.5 oz pitted green olives, 6 oz crumbled feta cheese, ½ teaspoon pepper, ½ teaspoon dried oregano
- Stir in the orzo pasta, and return to a simmer. Reduce heat, cover, and simmer for about 12 minutes.8 ounces orzo pasta
- Add the spinach on top, the recover and let cook for another 5 minutes, so that the spinach wilts.5 oz fresh spinach
- Stir in the spinach, then add the chopped tomato and stir that in as well.1 cup chopped tomato
- Serve with the reserved feta cheese sprinkled on top for garnish (optional)
- A block of feta cheese is less expensive compared to crumbles, and it will last longer!
- Ground pork, chicken, or turkey can be substituted for a slightly lighter meal.
- White or brown rice can be substituted for the orzo. Just be sure to up the cooking time to account for the difference.
Nutritional information is an estimate. The nutritional values for your final dish may vary based on measuring differences and products used.
Update Notes: This post was originally published in August 2017, but was republished with tips, step by step photos, and a recipe change in July 2021.