Your whole family will love this delicious, skillet ground beef recipe made with orzo and briny olives. Topped with yummy feta cheese, this one pot easy dinner meal is a family favorite! Because it's made in just one pan, you'll not only love how it tastes, but clean-up is a breeze!
👩🏻🍳 Why You'll Love This Recipe
One skillet meals are da bomb! With easy prep and easy cleanup, these meals are perfect for the busiest days, and leftovers make a great lunch on day two!
🥘 Ingredients Needed
For a complete list of ingredients, please refer to the recipe card at the bottom of this post.
- lean ground beef - can substitute ground chicken or turkey.
- onion, garlic, fresh spinach, tomato - easy fresh items that really make this meal!
- beef broth (1 can) - in a pinch you can use beef bullion.
- pitted green olives - the briny olives really make this meal!
- feta cheese - crumbled
- pepper and oregano - just a few ingredient from the spice cabinet.
- orzo pasta - any small pasta will work if you don't have orzo. Try ditalini, elbow or even alphabet pasta would be fun!
Please note: This is an overview of the instructions. You'll find the complete instructions in the recipe card at the bottom of this post.
- Using a large skillet brown the ground beef, sauté with the onion and garlic.
- Drain the excess fat. Add the broth, olives, feta cheese, pepper, and oregano. Bring to a boil.
- Stir in the orzo pasta, and return to a simmer.
- Reduce heat, cover, and simmer for about 12 minutes until the pasta is tender.
- Add the spinach on top, the recover and cook for another 5 minutes allowing the spinach to wilt.
- Add the diced tomato and stir everything together.
- Serve topped with reserved cheese sprinkled on top for garnish.
Use a large 16 inch skillet with at least 2 inch height on the sides. That way it will be easy to mix everything together without it spilling onto the stovetop.
If you're using a well seasoned cast iron skillet or a non-stick pan, there's no need for excess oil. It's a great way to cut down on calories!
A higher heat will cook the meat faster and draw out the moisture more quickly. Use a medium heat for best results. Allow the crumbled meat to brown on the first side before stirring.
Allow ground beef skillet to cool completely. Then, transfer into a resealable container. It will last refrigerated 3-5 days.
This recipe for skillet ground beef freezes well up to three months.
💭 Helpful Tips
- Purchase a brick of feta cheese as opposed to crumbles. It's less expensive in the long run and the cheese will stay fresh longer.
- I prefer to use lean ground beef, but you can substitute ground pork, chicken, or turkey.
- Using white or brown rice is an option instead of orzo pasta. Be sure to increase the cooking time and adjust the liquid to accommodate the rice.
🥗 Suggested Side Dishes
Here are some great recipes that will be terrific served alongside this meal!
🍞 Related Recipes
Here are a few more great one pot recipes I think you'll enjoy!
- Spicy Skillet Tortellini with Tomatoes - topped with parmesan cheese and a sprinkle of red pepper flakes it's the perfect amount of spicy goodness!
- This recipe for Hidden Veggie Sloppy Joe Sliders cooks up in the skillet in no time! And shhh.... no one will be the wiser that it's packed with delicious veggies.
- Skillet Tortellini and Zucchini - skip the fussy prep and boiling - this meal is all made in your fry pan!
- Chicken and Potatoes is also made in a skillet with briny olives. This is a great one pot meal!
Skillet Ground Beef Recipe
Love this recipe? Awesome! Please give it a 5 star ⭐ rating below! And if you make this, snap a photo and tag me on Instagram. You can find me at DizzyBusyandHungry or #dizzybusyandhungry!
📋 Recipe Card
One Skillet Ground Beef Recipe with Orzo
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 14.5 oz beef broth (1 can)
- 3.5 oz pitted green olives (1 jar, drained and halved)
- 6 oz crumbled feta cheese (set some aside for garnish if desired)
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 8 ounces orzo pasta (uncooked)
- 5 oz fresh spinach
- 1 cup chopped tomato
- In a large skillet, start to brown the ground beef. When it is about halfway done, add the onion and garlic.
- Cook until the ground beef is completely done. Spoon off excess fat, then add the broth, olives, feta cheese, pepper, and oregano. Bring to a boil.
- Stir in the orzo pasta, and return to a simmer. Reduce heat, cover, and simmer for about 12 minutes.
- Add the spinach on top, the recover and let cook for another 5 minutes, so that the spinach wilts.
- Stir in the spinach, then add the chopped tomato and stir that in as well.
- Serve with the reserved feta cheese sprinkled on top for garnish (optional)
- A block of feta cheese is less expensive compared to crumbles, and it will last longer!
- Ground pork, chicken, or turkey can be substituted for a slightly lighter meal.
- White or brown rice can be substituted for the orzo. Just be sure to up the cooking time to account for the difference.
Update Notes: This post was originally published in August 2017, but was republished with tips, step by step photos, and a recipe change in July 2021.
Check out my Dizzy Busy and Hungry store on Amazon for a whole bunch of great kitchen products I love!