I have a couple of zucchini recipes for you this week! I love to cook with zucchini for lots of reasons. The primary reason is that Thing 2 actually LIKES zucchini! Not only that, but locally grown zucchini is readily available and GORGEOUS this time of year, so I go a little crazy with it.
Zucchini is super-easy to cook with, too. It cooks quickly, so it is a busy mom’s dream ingredient. Plus, it has a mild flavor so it is easy to combine it with all sorts of different ingredients. (Cheese and bacon are a couple of our favorites!)
This recipe uses crescent roll dough, which is easy to work with and also bakes quickly. However, what I discovered while making this recipe is that not every crescent roll in the tube is created equal. WHAT?!? Yep.
As you know, the crescent roll dough is pre-scored into triangles, and while some of them were more misshapen than others, it also turned out that some of them actually did have more dough than others. I have no idea how that would occur since I would assume that a machine does the scoring.
I wonder if I just happened to get an irregular batch, or if most tubes are like that. Has anyone else ever had that experience with their crescent roll dough?
Now, you might be wondering, how is that idiosyncrasy with the dough germane to this recipe? It isn’t, LOL! I didn’t do anything differently with the different sizes.
I didn’t even try to take dough from the larger ones and add to the smaller ones or anything. But I spent a bit of time reflecting on my crescent roll realization and figured I would bring you all along for the ride! (Sorry about that)
Getting back to the topic at hand, needless to say, you really can’t go wrong regardless of the size of the crescent roll dough, especially when you stuff it with zucchini, bacon, and cheese!
We actually used this for a dinner entree and had another vegetable and a salad, but you could serve these for lunch or even use them for appetizers. Delicious!
Zucchini Bacon Cheese BitesPrint Recipe
- 2 medium zucchini (chopped into approximately 1/2 inch pieces)
- olive oil spray
- 2 tubes crescent roll dough
- 6 slices cooked bacon
- 1 cup shredded cheese (monterey jack works well)
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C).
- Spray olive oil into a skillet and heat over medium high.
- Add chopped zucchini and cook until softened, about 6-8 minutes. Set aside.
- Separate each crescent roll along score lines, fold into a rectangle, and roll out to a larger rectangle about 3 inches by 6 inches. (I used a fondant roller)
- In the middle of the rectangle, place about 1/3 of a slice of bacon, about 1 tablespoon of the cooked zucchini, and 2 tablespoons of the shredded cheese.
- Fold the sides up and pinch to seal.
- Back about 9 minutes until rolls are golden brown.
Note: This post has been shared at THESE link parties!
Want to keep up with the latest yummy recipes on DBH?
Sign up to receive new recipes in your inbox (only 1 email per week)!