This is a sponsored post written by me on behalf of Mission ®. All opinions are entirely my own.
Cheesy, creamy, and most of all delicious, this Queso Dip has so much flavor, it is no problem to hide a veggie in there to notch up the smartness of this snack!
What are your goals for your family when it comes to snacking? For me, I can sum it up in two words: SMART SNACKING!
Of course, my family (including hubby!) is not as interested in the SMART part. Go figure. They are definitely interested in SNACKING, but I think the adjective they would pick in place of SMART would be TASTY.
It can be challenging to find snacks that are both SMART and TASTY. There are many snacks out there that are tasty, but a lot of them are not all that smart.
Enter Mission Organics® Tortilla Chips. I love that these chips are USDA organic certified, and non-GMO project verified as well. They have 4 varieties: White Corn, Blue Corn, and the newest arrivals Yellow Corn, and Multigrain!
I was very excited to try them, and headed over to my local Target to pick up a few bags. I knew I would find them there because I used a very convenient store locator found on the Mission Organics website. CLICK HERE to link to the locator and find a store near you that carries Mission Organics Tortilla Chips!
I grabbed a few bags, since my teenage boys can eat A LOT of chips, not to even mention how many chips can be consumed when they have friends over! The ingredients list is impressive, with only a few simple and high-quality ingredients, and no artificial colors or preservatives. That is what I call a smart snack.
After I procured the chips, the only thing I needed was a smart dip to go with them. Of course, queso dip is one of the first things that come to mind when considering what to serve with tortilla chips, but in the interest of smart snacking I wanted to come up with something a bit more nutritious than the typical queso dip.
Queso dip needs to be cheesy, creamy, and most of all delicious. I knew I needed to create something with LOTS of flavor, so that I could hide a veggie in there and notch up the smartness of this snack even further.
Cauliflower is one of my go-to veggies that I like to fold into recipes to bump up the nutritional value. So that became my starting point. I pureed it until it was smooth, and then added lots of flavor with onion, garlic, jalapenos, and pepper jack cheese, so that the kids would have no idea that they were getting a burst of vitamins and minerals as they were chowing down.
No junk food here! Just SMART SNACKING (maybe even bordering on GENIUS SNACKING! Haha!).
You can adjust the spiciness of this dip by varying the amount of jalapenos you use. Serving a bunch of 10 year olds at a birthday party? Dial it down by skipping the jalapenos altogether. Preparing for a book club meeting or a poker night for grownups? Dial it up by adding some extra jalapenos.
However, don’t overdo it! Keep in mind that you can always add more spice, but once it is in there you can’t easily remove it, so as you are incorporating the peppers stay on the conservative side and taste as you go.
I served the Mission Organics Blue Corn and Yellow Corn Tortilla Chips alongside the queso dip to my hungry teenagers, and they gobbled it up, no questions asked. They never knew that they had just eaten a bunch of cauliflower too! Now that’s smart!
Don’t forget to check out where you can find Mission Organics Tortilla Chips near you. The store locator found at the Mission Organics site is super-easy to use, while you’re there check out more delicious recipes!
Queso Dip for Smart Snacking
- 10 ounces cauliflower florets (about 3 cups)
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- ¼ cup milk
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- 2 teaspoons butter
- 1 cup diced yellow onion
- 8 ounces pepper jack cheese (shredded)
- ¼ cup parmesan cheese (plus a little extra for garnish, if desired)
- 1 tablespoon chopped jalapeno pepper
- ¼ cup diced tomato (I like to include only the ‘meaty’ parts, not the seeds and ‘liquidy’ parts), plus a little extra for garnish, if desired)
- Chopped cilantro for garnish (if desired)
- Place the cauliflower florets in a microwaveable bowl, add about 2 tablespoons water, cover with plastic wrap (leaving a little space uncovered for steam to vent), and microwave 4-5 minutes until the cauliflower is very tender.
- Drain the cauliflower and transfer to a food processor or blender. Add the garlic, milk, salt, and pepper. Process until well-combined and completely smooth. Set aside.
- In a large skillet, melt the butter, then add the onion, cooking until the onion is translucent.
- Add the cauliflower mixture to the skillet, then the pepper jack cheese, parmesan cheese, jalapeno pepper, and tomato. Heat and stir until the cheeses are melted and the mixture is hot.
- Garnish with additional tomato, cilantro, and a sprinkling of Parmesan cheese. Serve with Mission Organics Tortilla Chips for a really smart snack!
Interested in some other snack or dip recipes?
Note: This post has been shared at THESE link parties!
Want to keep up with the latest yummy recipes on DBH?
Sign up to receive new recipes in your inbox (only 1 email per week)!