Put a new spin on pizza night with these fun pinwheel-like pizza dough discs featuring pepperoni, mozzarella, and spinach!I had an entirely different post scheduled for today, but I made these a few days ago, and I was so excited by how delicious they turned out that I just had to post them right away!
There is nothing super-special about the ingredients, but turning them into twirls really boosted the fun factor. They are so cute, and kids love to eat cute food! Oh, who am I kidding...I am the one who likes to eat cute food!! 🙂
I used whole wheat pizza dough for the extra shot of fiber, and turkey pepperoni to minimize the fat. I also used reduced-fat shredded mozzarella for the same reason. Of course I had sneak a veggie in there, and even though the spinach was not 'hidden', no one minded it at all!
You could use pizza sauce in these if you wanted something closer to pizza, but I skipped it because Thing 2 is not a fan. He really liked these, although requested that next time I make them a little cheesier. We'll see! 🙂
I served these for a Friday night dinner instead of our usual pizza, but they would also be great appetizers at a tailgate party...or any kind of party!
They are also great as after school snacks. I love to make these especially when I know we will need to have dinner later than usual. If you like to get creative with what your kids eat when they get home from school, check out these 30+ after school snack ideas! With this list, you will always have fun and interesting snack ideas on hand!
Thing 2 rating = (4 biscuits out of 5!). He docked me a whole biscuit because he thought I was being skimpy with the cheese. But, honestly, they were cheesy enough for us, and I really try to avoid overdoing cheese so when I make these again I will not be increasing the amount of cheese!
This post may contain affiliate links which won’t change your price but will share some commission.
If you love this recipe, please give it 5 stars!
And I also invite you to follow me on FACEBOOK, PINTEREST, or INSTAGRAM to keep up with what's going on in my kitchen.
📋 Recipe Card
- 14 ounces whole wheat pizza dough (I used store bought)
- 1 ½ cups reduced fat shredded mozzarella
- 40 slices turkey pepperoni
- 2 handfuls fresh baby spinach
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees F (230 degrees C).
- Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Roll out the pizza dough into a long oval, approximately 24 inches by 12 inches. I used a little bit of flour on my rolling surface, on the rolling pin, and on my hands to keep the dough from sticking.14 ounces whole wheat pizza dough
- Sprinkle about half of the shredded cheese over the entire area of dough.1 ½ cups reduced fat shredded mozzarella
- Place the pepperoni slices in a single layer over the cheese.40 slices turkey pepperoni
- Spread the baby spinach over the pepperoni slices.2 handfuls fresh baby spinach
- Sprinkle the remaining cheese over the spinach.
- Starting from one of the long edges, carefully roll the dough into itself until you have a long log of dough with the toppings inside.
- With a very sharp knife, cut the dough width-wise into about 1 inch rings.
- Place the rings in a single layer on the baking sheets, then bake for approximately 8 minutes.
- Makes about 24 pieces.
Nutritional information is an estimate. The nutritional values for your final dish may vary based on measuring differences and products used.
Hey there, you might be interested in these products!
Easy and delicious! Our family really enjoyed these on New Year's Eve.
That's wonderful to hear, so glad you liked these! 🙂 Happy New Year!
I see why these were featured! They look fantastic. I can't wait to try them. Thanks for sharing at The Creative Exchange Link Up Party.
Kristin, what a clever, fun appetizer or Friday night dinner! I don't know that I'd ever make this but I'm gonna save it for a quick easy snack idea. Thanks for sharing!
I'll have to make this sometime. Thanks for joining us at the Inspiration Spotlight party. Shared.
Lindsay @ The DIY Mommy
YUMMY!1 Is all I can say. My kids absolutely love these. They don't last in our house 🙂
What a fun way to serve "pizza" to the kiddos. I know my son would love these. Thanks for sharing with us at Funtastic Friday. You'll be one of my features this week, so be sure to check it out on Thursday at 9 pm EST!
We will love your Pepperoni Twirls, they will be perfect for the big Game Days! Hope you are having a great week and thanks so much for sharing with us at Full Plate Thursday.