These Wonton Cheeseburger Cups are fun to eat, tasty, kid-friendly, and most of all, easy! Moms will love the veggie nutrition cooked right into the filling and the kids will never be the wiser! These hand-held crunchy cheeseburger bites will be the hit of the dinner table!
👩🏻🍳 Why You'll Love This Recipe
I am excited about these cheeseburger cups, and I will tell you why. This is the first recipe that I have ever used wonton wrappers in a recipe! Before you get nervous, remember that it has already been tested on my own family, and not only did they survive the experiment, they asked for more! 😀
These healthy cheeseburger bites have veggies tucked away in the filling, but your kids will never know with all of the great flavors going on. Everybody wins!
🥘 Ingredients Needed
- wonton wrappers - form crunchy handheld little cups that make these cheeseburger bites so addicting!
- ground beef - I like to use extra lean.
- onion - conjures the taste of a classic cheeseburger right off the grill.
- salt and pepper
- cauliflower - fresh or frozen, this is the superhero hidden veggie ingredient!
- shredded cheddar - there are many types of cheese that would work here, but I've found cheddar is the best!
- tomato - another classic cheeseburger topping.
- lettuce and spinach - the spinach is for extra nutrition, and you can't have a burger without some lettuce!
- Press 2 wonton wrappers into each cup of a greased muffin tin.
- Bake for 8 or 9 minutes at 350 degrees F, then remove from the oven and set aside.
- Add onion, ground beef, salt, and pepper to a skillet.
- Cook until the ground beef is browned.
- Steam the cauliflower in the microwave until soft, then mash.
- Add mashed cauliflower to ground beef mixture.
- Stir in cheddar cheese and combine well.
- Distribute the beef mixture into the baked wonton cups, then bake for a couple of minutes, until the cheese melts. Serve with tomato, lettuce, and spinach.
Most wonton wrappers are made of a simple combination of flour, egg, and water.
In the case of these cheeseburger cups, I've opted for a method that mixes mashed cauliflower with ground beef, which hides it almost entirely. In general, you'll want to use vegetables with milder flavors (cauliflower is a great one) and add to dishes that already have a lot of flavor.
When it comes to fast food burgers, you're looking at a lot of fat and calories, but with these homemade cheeseburger bites you have your choice of ingredients and the addition of veggies, which makes them a lot more health conscious!
💭 Other Helpful Tips
- Egg roll wrappers can be substituted if wonton wrappers aren't available, but be sure to cut them into fourths, as they're much larger.
- The filling should be enough for 18 cheeseburger cups, but you could opt to make only 12 and either use more filling per cup, or save some of the filling to use in wraps or salads!
- If you're pressed for time, you can skip the cauliflower and spinach steps.
Whether you're serving these as a quick and fun finger food for a weeknight dinner or as an adorable appetizer, these cheeseburger cups will be a hit with kids and adults alike!
- Ground turkey or chicken can be substituted for the beef.
- To make double decker cheeseburger bites, fill as directed, then remove half of the cups and place them on top of the others and bake as directed.
- American, Colby jack, pepper jack, and provolone are also great options for cheese.
🥗 Suggested Side Dishes
If you're serving these wonton cheeseburger cups as a main course, there are so many great sides that would make the meal complete!
If it's spring or summer and you're trying to channel BBQ vibes, whip up this Chicken Macaroni Salad.
🥙 More Handheld Recipes
- Air Fryer Turkey Meatballs - An oil-free and lightened up version of the classic meatball that can be used in so many ways!
- Basil and Blue Cheese Baked Sweet Potato Bites - A sophisticated but deceivingly easy recipe.
- Air Fryer Chicken Wings - Great as a main course or an appetizer, these wings come out crispy every time!
Wonton Cheeseburger Cups
Love this recipe? Awesome! Please give it a 5 star ⭐ rating below! And if you make this, snap a photo and tag me on Instagram. You can find me at DizzyBusyandHungry or #dizzybusyandhungry!
📋 Recipe Card
Wonton Cheeseburger Cups
- cooking spray (I used canola oil spray)
- 36 wonton wrappers
- 1 pound extra lean ground beef
- ½ cup diced onion
- ¼ teaspoon each, salt and pepper
- 2 cups frozen or fresh cauliflower
- 1 cup shredded cheddar (with some additional to sprinkle on top)
- 1 tomato (diced)
- ½ cup shredded lettuce
- ½ cup shredded spinach
- pickles (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. You need 3 6-cup muffin tins to bake these all at the same time. Spray each cup lightly but thoroughly with cooking spray.cooking spray
- Press 2 wonton wrappers into each cup, juxtaposing the corners, and spray each with cooking spray.36 wonton wrappers
- Bake for 8-9 minutes, until crispy. Remove from oven and set aside.
- Add onion, ground beef, salt, and pepper to a large skillet and brown the ground beef until done.1 pound extra lean ground beef, ½ cup diced onion, ¼ teaspoon each, salt and pepper
- Meanwhile, steam cauliflower in the microwave until very soft. Mash the cauliflower thoroughly.2 cups frozen or fresh cauliflower
- Combine the cauliflower mash and shredded cheddar into the ground beef.1 cup shredded cheddar
- Distribute the ground beef/cauliflower mixture among the wontons (there will be some left over). If desired, sprinkle each with additional shredded cheese.
- Bake another 3-4 minutes until cheese has melted.
- Combine the shredded lettuce and shredded spinach in a bowl. Serve with diced tomato, shredded lettuce/spinach mix, and pickles.1 tomato, ½ cup shredded lettuce, ½ cup shredded spinach, pickles
- If you can't find wonton wrappers, use egg roll wrappers and cut each wrapper into 4 squares (since they are much larger).
- This recipe makes enough filling for 18 cheeseburger bites, but if you only want 12 you can either load up the bites with more filling or you can have leftover to use in wraps or on a salad later in the week.
- You can substitute ground turkey for the ground beef for turkey cheeseburgers.
- You can skip the cauliflower and spinach if you aren't interested in the extra nutrition or don't have time for the extra steps!
- You can make these extra fun by making double decker cheeseburger bites. After crisping the wontons, place the filling in all 18 the wonton cups, then remove 9 of the wonton cups from the muffin tin and place them on top of the 9 that are left in the tin. Bake as directed.
Nutritional information is an estimate. The nutritional values for your final dish may vary based on measuring differences and products used.
Update Notes: This post was originally published in April 2013, but was republished with tips, step by step photos, and a recipe change in October 2021.
Check out my Dizzy Busy and Hungry store on Amazon for a whole bunch of great kitchen products I love!