For your next homemade pizza night, make this super easy and Quick Pan Pizza! You won’t need any kind of special pan or cast iron skillet, so any home chef can put this tasty pizza together.
Use a 9x13 baking dish and the same ingredients as a regular pizza. The difference? The pan will keep the crust soft and bread-like for a DIY pan pizza that’s healthier and more affordable than delivery!
- 💚 Why You'll Love This Recipe
- 🧂 Ingredients Needed
- 🔪 Instructions
- ❔ FAQs
- 💭 Expert Tips and Tricks
- 💡 Substitutions and Variations
- 🔊 What readers are saying...
- 🥫 Storage and Reheating
- ⏲️ Make Ahead Instructions
- 🍴 What To Serve With This Dish
- ✔️ More Pizza Recipes You'll Love
- 📋 Recipe Card
- 💬 Reviews and Comments
💚 Why You'll Love This Recipe
Pizza is the one dinner in my house that we have on a weekly basis. No one ever gets sick of it!
Nonetheless, I like to change things up a little bit from time to time, with different toppings, or different ways of putting the ingredients together, like pizza packets, mini pizzas, and now this yummy and easy pan pizza!
And no cast-iron pan needed! Just use your regular 9x13 baking pan to make the best homemade pizza with store bought dough.
You can even use this Homemade Pizza Seasoning to give your quick pan pizza a burst of savory flavor!
🧂 Ingredients Needed
- flour - helps prevent the dough from sticking.
- pizza dough - using a store bought pizza dough is a great way to cut down on major prep time.
- mozzarella - this is the typical cheese used for pizza as it gets nice and melty in the oven.
- pizza sauce - use your favorite store bought sauce or even make your own!
- pepperoni - this is a classic topping choice, but feel free to choose whatever you and your family like best!
- basil - as an optional garnish.
- Sprinkle some flour on a clean surface to prevent any sticking.
- Roll out the pizza dough into a rectangle, roughly 10x14.
- Press the pizza dough into a 9x13 baking pan and make sure the excess is firmly pressed to the sides..
- Add a thin layer of mozzarella cheese.
- Add the pizza sauce.
- Finish with the rest of the mozzarella cheese, then add pepperoni or other toppings. Bake at 400 degrees F for 15 minutes, or until the cheese is melty.
Yes! I recommend a very thin layer of cooking oil or cooking spray to prevent the pizza from sticking. But parchment paper is a great way to ensure easy removal from your baking pan.
No, you can use any 9x13 pan for this quick pan pizza!
💭 Expert Tips and Tricks
- The first layer of cheese prevents the crust from absorbing too much sauce and becoming sticky or gummy. You can skip this step if you like.
- For a more classic pan pizza finish, use a bit of extra oil in the pan.
- Be sure to roll out the dough to a size larger than the bottom of the pan. This ensures there will be excess to form the sides of your pan pizza.
📌 This 9x13 pizza dough recipe is the perfect way to switch up your pizza night! Complete with your favorite pizza toppings and customize this recipe to your content. It's so easy to make homemade pizza from store bought dough!
💡 Substitutions and Variations
- For a burst of extra flavor, spread some extra oil on the exposed crust once the cheese and toppings are on. Sprinkle with garlic salt, Parmesan cheese, or red pepper flakes.
- This quick pan pizza recipe works with any toppings you can think of! Mushrooms, olives, ham, beef, peppers, broccoli, spinach, pineapple, anchovies, and more! Feel free to be creative with your topping selections.
🔊 What readers are saying...
"Love how easy this is. It would be perfect to make on a busy weeknight!"
🥫 Storage and Reheating
Keep your leftovers in the fridge in an airtight container. Reheat in the oven or a toaster oven at about 350 F for 10 minutes or until your pizza reaches the correct temperature. You can also keep your quick pan pizza leftovers in the freezer. They can be cooked right from frozen, though you'll need to add more time.
I don't recommend microwaving your pan pizza leftovers, as they'll get floppy and soggy.
⏲️ Make Ahead Instructions
If you want to make your own pizza dough or sauce, feel free to prepare them ahead of time and store in the fridge until you need them. You can also turn this into a homemade frozen pizza. You'll want to slightly bake the crust first (this is called par-baking). Check out a guide on how to accomplish this here.
🍴 What To Serve With This Dish
Looking for a nice healthy side dish to pair with your easy pan pizza? Serve it alongside Baked Eggplant Fries, or with a sweet and healthy Avocado Mango Salad. Other good options include Crispy Air Fryer Brussels Sprouts or this Chipotle Lime Edamame Side Dish!
✔️ More Pizza Recipes You'll Love
- Crock Pot Pizza - Too hot to turn on the oven? You can make delicious pizza right in your slow cooker!
- Sausage Basil Pizza - This vegetarian pizza is loaded with savory flavor and makes an interesting variation from typical pizza toppings.
- Curry Pizza with Veggies - Give your pizza night an extra flair with curry-inspired vegetable toppings.
- Pizza Tater Tot Casserole - This hearty recipe from Bowl Me Over combines classic pizza ingredients with golden brown tater tots for a dinner your family will adore!
Easy Pan Pizza Recipe
Love this recipe? Awesome! Snap a photo and tag me on Instagram. You can find me at DizzyBusyandHungry or #dizzybusyandhungry!
⭐ Did you make this recipe? Please give it a star rating below! ⭐
📋 Recipe Card
Easy and Quick Pan Pizza
- 16 ounces pizza dough (your favorite)
- 1 ½ cups shredded mozzarella (divided, use more if you like your pizza really cheesy)
- 1 cup pizza sauce
- 20 pieces turkey pepperoni (or whatever toppings you like)
- ¼ cup chopped basil for garnish (optional)
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C). Spray a 9x13 baking pan lightly with non-stick spray.
- Sprinkle the flour on a clean, flat surface to prevent sticking, then roll out the dough in to a rough rectangle shape, about 10x14 inches.16 ounces pizza dough, flour
- Place the dough in the baking pan, pressing the excess up the sides of the pan.
- Sprinkle about ¼ cup of the mozzarella cheese over the dough.1 ½ cups shredded mozzarella
- Top with sauce and spread evenly.1 cup pizza sauce
- Top with the remaining mozzarella cheese then distribute the pepperoni and/or other toppings.20 pieces turkey pepperoni
- Bake for 15 minutes until cheese is melted and bubbly.
- Top with chopped basil before serving if desired.¼ cup chopped basil for garnish
- I like to sprinkle some of the cheese on the dough before the sauce because it seems to prevent the crust from getting gummy. This is not strictly necessary though, and you can skip it if you wish.
- Use more oil in the pan for a more classic pan pizza experience. You can also rub oil on the dough that remains visible around the edges and even sprinkle with garlic salt or Parmesan cheese.
- Store leftovers in an airtight container in the fridge. Reheat in the oven or toaster oven at 350 for 10 minutes or so. Microwaving the leftovers is not as good because the pizza gets floppy.
Nutritional information is an estimate. The nutritional values for your final dish may vary based on measuring differences and products used.
Update Notes: This post was originally published in May 2015, and was republished with tips, step by step photos, and a recipe change in July 2023.