Baked Eggplant Fries are delicious and healthy upscaled French fries that will wow your family and impress your guests!
This week’s #SundaySupper theme is Fancy Appetizers, but after that munch-fest of a football game last week, I wanted to make sure I came up with something decently healthy.
I really love eggplant, but I don’t serve it nearly as often as I should. I do the same with spaghetti squash.
These are both wonderful vegetables that should have a prominent and regular place in our meal rotations! I need to get on the schtick with that.
This recipe can be served as an appetizer, or you can use it as a side dish for a family meal. The fries themselves are pretty tasty, but I really love them with the Basil Dipping Sauce!
It has a bit of kick to it, but you can customize to your taste by adjusting the amount of ground chipotle.
The Basil Dipping Sauce is made with mayonnaise, so you do have to be careful about how much you use if you are trying to watch your calories.
The good news is that there is so much flavor in the sauce, you can definitely use light or fat-free mayo if you want and no one will be the wiser.
Either way, though, don’t go overboard with the sauce to keep the fries on the healthy side!
This post may contain affiliate links which won’t change your price but will share some commission.
Baked Eggplant Fries with Basil Dipping Sauce
If you love this recipe, please give it 5 stars!
Baked Eggplant Fries with Basil Dipping SaucePrint Recipe
For the eggplant fries:
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.
- Slice eggplants into rounds about 3/4 inch thick, and then slice the rounds into wedges about 1 inch wide.
- Place the eggplant wedges into a large bowl, then drizzle the olive oil and toss until well distributed.
- Add the garlic salt, pepper, cornstarch, and dried basil flakes and toss again.
- Place the fries on a wire rack on a baking sheet and bake for 15-20 minutes.
- While the fries are baking, make the dipping sauce by combining the mayonnaise, basil, garlic, lemon juice, ground chipotle, and salt in a small bowl. Chill the sauce until the fries are done.
- For crisper fries, place under the broiler for 3-4 minutes after baking (watch that they don't burn!)
- Serve immediately.
Tools used for this recipe:
Spices and other products:
Check out these other great Fancy Appetizers for our #SundaySupper event!
- BLT Crostini Sliders with Avocado Aioli by Casa de Crews
- Easy Caprese Puff Pastry Bites by The Weekend Gourmet
- French Onion Palmiers by Cooking With Carlee
- Ham and Mustard Spirals by Food Lust People Love
- Homemade Mozzarella Cheese Sticks by Grumpy’s Honeybunch
- Middle Eastern Deviled Eggs by A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures
- Mushroom and Blue Cheese Gougeres by Turnips 2 Tangerines
- Simple Greek Pinwheels with Tzatziki Dipping Sauce by A Mind “Full” Mom
- Soppressata Puffs by Cosmopolitan Cornbread
- Baba Ganoush by The Crumby Cupcake
- Baked Fruit and Nut Camembert by Sunday Supper Movement
- Caesar Salad Wonton Cups by Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Cucumber Bites with Creole Shrimp and Guacamole by Life Tastes Good
- Dates with Goat Cheese, Prosciutto and Truffle Honey by Monica’s Table
- Drunken Asparagus with Feta and Prosciutto by Wholistic Woman
- Italian Chicken Meatballs by Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Japanese Meatballs by NinjaBaker.com
- Loaded Hasselback Potatoes Mini Size by Crazed Mom
- Pork Dumplings by A Day in the Life on the Farm
- Prosciutto and Blue Cheese Pear Bites by Jersey Girl Cooks
- Lime Shrimp Cups by Our Good Life
- Mini Crab Cakes by My Savory Spoon
- Oysters Rockefeller by Caroline’s Cooking
- Scallop Crudo with Citrus by Cricket’s Confections
- Shrimp Martini by Palatable Pastime
- Southwestern Shrimp Spring Rolls by The Freshman Cook
- Gluten Free Champagne Cake Pops by Gluten Free Crumbley
- Loaded Chocolate Dipped Potato Chips by Desserts Required
- Mini S’mores Tarts by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Peanut Butter and Jelly Cheesecake Bars by Pies and Plots
- Sweet Dijon Pecan Baked Brie Bites by Soulfully Made
- Wine Gummy Bears by Culinary Adventures with Camilla
- Baked Eggplant Fries with Basil Dipping Sauce by Dizzy Busy and Hungry
- Blue Cheese Asparagus Bites by Hardly A Goddess
- Broccoli Pesto Potato Bites by Simple and Savory
- Mushroom Purses by Seduction in the Kitchen
- Roasted Carrot Soup by From the Bookshelf
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. To get more great Sunday Supper Recipes, visit our website or check out our Pinterest board. Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy. You can sign up by clicking here: Sunday Supper Movement.
Thanks for stopping by. Before you go, you might be interested in these products!
And check out my Dizzy Busy and Hungry store on Amazon for some great kitchen products I love!