This Creamy Chipotle Dip with Basil is so easy to make and turns out perfectly every time! Creamy, spicy, and so flavorful, you’ll only need a few ingredients to create this delicious dip.
It’s great to serve with crackers, fries, veggies, and all your favorite dippers. You can even use it as a spread for sandwiches and burgers!
💚 Why You'll Love This Recipe
When you need something quick and tasty to add a zing to your favorite dishes, try this chipotle basil dip! It requires only 6 ingredients and can be ready in 5 minutes.
You can even adjust the amount of chipotle heat to your own taste! This dip is perfect for snacking, to pair with appetizers, or as a spread for sandwiches and other dishes.
And this chipotle dipping sauce and its spicy flavor pairs perfectly with a healthy batch of Baked Eggplant Fries!
🧂 Ingredients Needed
- mayonnaise - forms the base of this dip and gives it a delicious creamy texture.
- fresh basil - you'll want to opt for fresh basil here for a snappy herbal flavor.
- minced garlic - adds a sharpness and that signature garlic flavor which pairs well with the other ingredients in this basil dip.
- lemon juice - adds some tanginess and citrus flavor.
- ground chipotle - for warm flavor and delicious spicy heat.
- Finely chop the fresh basil.
- Add basil to a bowl with mayo, garlic, lemon juice, chipotle, and salt.
- Mix well and chill until ready to serve.
This delicious seasoning is essentially just the powdered form of jalapeno peppers. The peppers are dried and smoked, then ground into a fine powder which packs lots of heat and smoky flavor.
A combination of basil and chipotle powder gives this dip a savory and warm flavor with a kick of spice, and lemon juice balances it out and cuts through the saltiness with some acidic citrus flavor.
No, these are two distinct seasonings. Chili powder is often made from some combination of chili peppers, oregano, cumin, and garlic powder, whereas ground chipotle is made exclusively from jalapeno peppers. In a pinch, you may be able to substitute chili powder for ground chipotle, but the flavor won't be quite the same.
💭 Expert Tips and Tricks
- Give your dip a taste before serving and adjust the amount of chipotle to your heat preference. Start with the smallest amount recommended, then work your way up.
- As the chipotle dip sits in the fridge and the flavors develop, it will get gradually more spicy. Keep this in mind when adding your ground chipotle.
- This dip is great served with crackers, bread, raw veggies, tortilla chips, or even as a spread for sandwiches and burgers or a topping with burrito bowls, fish tacos, and anything you can think of!
📌 Make this chipotle dipping sauce as a way to add the perfect kick to all of your favorite dishes! Serve the final results with fries, raw veggies, chips, crackers, and more. You'll love the freshness and tangy flavor of this basil dip!
💡 Substitutions and Variations
- For an even tangier chipotle dip, use some sour cream or Greek or plain yogurt in place of mayo.
- A creamier consistency can be achieved by adding some cream cheese.
- Fresh lime juice can be used instead of lemon.
- If you want some extra flavor from the jalapeno pepper, feel free to mince one up and mix it into the hot dip. You could also chop them up in a food processor. Sautee them first to bring out some of the complex flavors.
🥫 Storage and Reheating
Store your chipotle dip in an airtight container in the fridge. It should last for a week, and could potentially go as far as two weeks. Just be sure to check for any strange odors or major discoloration before enjoying.
I don't recommend freezing this dip, as the texture and flavors won't be quite the same after thawing.
🍴 What To Serve With This Dish
This flavorful chipotle dip is your new favorite companion to the best snacks and appetizers!
Pair it with Oven Fried Crispy Green Beans or this super Easy Baked Calamari, serve with Air Fryer Frozen French Fries, or even dip some Pretzel Bites with Olives and Parmesan!
✔️ More Snack Dip Recipes You'll Love
- Chipotle Cheese Dip - If you love the flavor of chipotle dip, this simple and tasty spread is another one you must try!
- Roasted Red Pepper Hummus - With a classic combination of chickpeas, tahini, and roasted red peppers, this is the ultimate homemade hummus recipe.
- Jalapeno Artichoke Dip - This crowd pleasing dip is another delicious way to use jalapenos in your snacking.
- Cannoli Dip - Got a sweet tooth? This delicious no-bake dip from Mom on Timeout is perfect for a sweet treat!
Chipotle Basil Dip
Love this recipe? Awesome! Snap a photo and tag me on Instagram. You can find me at DizzyBusyandHungry or #dizzybusyandhungry!
⭐ Did you make this recipe? Please give it a star rating below! ⭐
📋 Recipe Card
Chipotle Dip with Basil
- ½ cup mayonnaise (can use light mayo if desired)
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh basil
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- ½ teaspoon ground chipotle
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- Combine the mayonnaise, basil, garlic, lemon juice, ground chipotle, and salt in a small bowl.½ cup mayonnaise, 1 tablespoon chopped fresh basil, 1 teaspoon minced garlic, 1 teaspoon lemon juice, ½ teaspoon ground chipotle, ¼ teaspoon salt
- Chill until ready to serve.
- Increase or decrease the amount of chipotle by taste. Just be aware the the spicy bite will increase slightly as the dip sits in the refrigerator and the flavors meld.
- Serve with crackers, crusty bread, or veggies to dip, or use as a burger or sandwich spread!
- Add cream cheese for a thicker texture.
- Sour cream and/or Greek yogurt can be used alongside the mayo for a tangier flavor.
Nutritional information is an estimate. The nutritional values for your final dish may vary based on measuring differences and products used.
Thanks so much for reading! I also invite you to follow me on FACEBOOK, PINTEREST, or INSTAGRAM to keep up with what's going on in my kitchen.
And you might want to check out my Dizzy Busy and Hungry store on Amazon for a whole bunch of great kitchen products I love!
This was an excellent dip to serve with the crispy air fryer eggplant that I made. Yummy!
Yay! So glad to hear that you liked this!
This dip is so good!! Easy to make and totally addictive.
Your Chipotle Basil Dip is gonna be great for everything! I needed a good go to dip. Thanks for sharing!
This was perfect for using up my garden basil harvest! I used it on burgers for the family.
I'm always looking for new dips to serve at parties, and this chipotle dip looks incredible! Can't wait to try it!
I love the heat combined with the cool creaminess of the mayo! I can't wait to make this. I think I'll serve it at our next Taco Tuesday.