Made in One Skillet, Garlic Chicken with Rice is the ultimate in easy dinners! With vibrant flavors and juicy chicken, this dish is a guaranteed family favorite.
Best of all, you only need one skillet to prepare this chicken dish, which yields a complete and healthy meal, ready to serve! With delicious flavors, your loved ones will adore this quick and simple dish that can be on the table in under 30 minutes.
💚 Why You'll Love This Recipe
It doesn't get much easier (or tastier) than this one skillet chicken and rice! Prep is fast and cleanup is a breeze since everything can be made in one pot.
Don't let the simplicity fool you; this dish is loaded with flavor. Satisfying and filling, the whole family will love this tasty chicken dinner, and you'll love having less dishes to wash!
Just like this Slow Cooker Chicken and Rice, this is a classic combination of protein and grain that will be a hit every time you serve it!
🧂 Ingredients Needed
- soy sauce - provides a nice umami flavor that compliments the chicken.
- onion powder - adds a distinct and sharp onion flavor.
- minced garlic - mingles well with the other flavors of this dish.
- chili garlic sauce - helps emphasize the tasty garlic as well as add some heat.
- honey - balances out the savory flavors with some natural sweetness.
- rice vinegar - for a bit of acidity.
- olive oil - ensures the chicken is browned on the outside for optimal flavor before cooking all the way through.
- chicken breast - a classic cut of chicken that works perfectly for this one pot recipe.
- salt and pepper
- chicken broth - keeps the chicken moist and tender and acts as the cooking liquid for the rice.
- white rice - great for absorbing all of the flavors and cooking up quickly.
- green onions - a delicious garnish that adds a pop of fresh flavor and contrasting color.
- Combine soy sauce, onion powder, minced garlic, garlic chili sauce, honey, and rice vinegar in a small bowl.
- Sear the chicken in olive oil, about 20 seconds on each side, then remove and set aside.
- Add chicken broth, rice, and soy sauce mixture to the pot and stir to combine.
- Place the chicken over top of the rest of the ingredients.
- Cover and cook for 18 minutes over medium heat.
- Garnish with green onions and serve!
Yes, as long as the chicken is fully cooked it's perfectly safe to cook chicken and rice in the same pot! Chicken is fully cooked when the internal temperature reaches 165 degrees F.
Because of the bold flavors of this dish, white rice is an excellent option to soak up all of the complex ingredients and seasonings. Be aware that cooking time will vary if another type of rice is used. Brown rice, for example, will take longer to cook.
This is a fairly healthy dish thanks to the protein in chicken and the carbohydrates in rice, both of which are crucial macronutrients to fuel the body. Serve with a veggie on the side for a full and round meal!
💭 Expert Tips and Tricks
- Be sure to use a pot or skillet that's at least 2 inches deep and has a lid that will fit well. You want to trap moisture inside to keep the chicken from drying out.
- If you're pressed for time, skip searing the chicken. Be aware that the chicken may end up a bit drier, as you won't have the seared layer to trap moisture.
- Taste your soy sauce mixture before adding to the broth to ensure you're happy with the flavors.
📌 You'll love this easy and super flavorful one skillet chicken and rice! With bold ingredients like chili garlic sauce, this dish is a mouthwateringly easy recipe to make for a quick and easy weeknight dinner!
💡 Substitutions and Variations
- Water can be used instead of broth, though the result will be a slightly less flavorful dish.
- Instead of soy sauce, use coconut aminos.
- Olive oil can be substituted for canola or avocado oil.
- Feel free to edit the proportions of spices and flavorings to your preference.
- Much of the flavor of this dish comes from the chili garlic sauce, so I don't recommend leaving it out. If you want a substitution, use something like sriracha.
🥫 Storage and Reheating
Keep your leftover garlic chicken with rice in an airtight container in the fridge and eat within 3 or 4 days. Leftovers can also be frozen for a few months at a time.
To reheat, portion out your chicken and rice onto microwave-safe plates or bowls and microwave until heated through. From frozen, I recommend letting your chicken thaw in the fridge before heating.
🍴 What To Serve With This Dish
While your garlic chicken with rice is cooking away on the stovetop, break out your air fryer to prepare a quick and healthy veggie like Air Fryer Broccoli, Air Fryer Roasted Carrots, or these yummy Air Fryer Sweet Potato Cubes. You could also serve alongside these Oven Fried Crispy Green Beans!
✔️ More One Skillet Recipes You'll Love
- Pan Fried Chicken Thighs with Green Beans - Everything you need for a complete meal is present in this single, one-pot dish.
- Shrimp with Couscous - A great option for seafood lovers!
- One Pot Chickpea Curry - Vegan-friendly, this curry is loaded with chickpeas and veggies and has all of the flavors you love.
- One Pot Ricotta Lemon Pasta - This recipe from Cozy Cravings yields a creamy pasta dish with a zingy lemon flavor!
One Pot Chicken and Rice
Love this recipe? Awesome! Snap a photo and tag me on Instagram. You can find me at DizzyBusyandHungry or #dizzybusyandhungry!
⭐ Did you make this recipe? Please give it a star rating below! ⭐
📋 Recipe Card
One Skillet Garlic Chicken with Rice
- 1 ½ tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon chili garlic sauce
- 2 teaspoon honey
- 1 tablespoon rice vinegar
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 4 chicken breasts (about 1 pound)
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- 2 ¼ cup chicken broth
- 1 cup white rice (uncooked)
- 2 green onions, chopped
- In a small bowl, mix together the soy sauce, onion powder, minced garlic, chili garlic sauce, honey, and rice vinegar. Set aside.1 ½ tablespoons soy sauce, 1 teaspoon onion powder, 1 teaspoon minced garlic, 1 tablespoon chili garlic sauce, 2 teaspoon honey, 1 tablespoon rice vinegar
- Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium heat.1 tablespoon olive oil
- Season the chicken with salt and pepper, then place in the skillet and sear on both sides for about 10-20 seconds. Remove and set aside.4 chicken breasts (about 1 pound), ½ teaspoon salt, ¼ teaspoon pepper
- Add the broth, rice, and soy sauce mixture to the skillet and mix.2 ¼ cup chicken broth, 1 cup white rice (uncooked)
- Place the chicken pieces side by side on top of the mixture in the skillet, and cover with a well-fitting lid. Cook over medium heat for 18 minutes.
- Remove the lid, sprinkle green onions over top and serve.2 green onions, chopped
- Substitutions if desired:
- Use water instead of broth, but note that the result will have a little less flavor.
- Use coconut aminos instead of soy sauce.
- Use canola oil or avocado oil instead of olive oil.
- Adjust the amount of the spices based on preferences.
- The chili garlic sauce provides a lot of the flavor so it isn't recommended to skip it, but you can use sriracha sauce instead.
- Brown rice is not recommended because the cook time is much longer than for white rice.
- The searing step can be skipped to save time but note that the chicken may turn out a little drier.
- Use any large skillet that is at least 2 inches deep, non-stick, and has a secure fitting lid.
Nutritional information is an estimate. The nutritional values for your final dish may vary based on measuring differences and products used.
I love a simple recipe and this is so flavorful! Thank you for sharing!
Simple to make, great flavors and easy clean up, I'm in!
We love chicken and rice. This recipe did not disappoint. It was super easy and tasted great. I plan to make it again for dinner next week.
Only one pan?! Heck yeah!
This was so good and I loved how it all cooked in one skillet. Yay for less dishes!