Try this easy Indian-style Vegan Chickpea Curry, a delicious and simple meal that’s ready in 40 minutes! This hearty and healthy dish is plenty nutritious but doesn’t sacrifice any flavor.
The chickpeas provide vitamins, protein, and fiber for a filling meal you’ll feel good about serving to your family. Serve over rice for a nice weeknight meal or even Sunday dinner!
💚 Why You'll Love This Recipe
When you need a simple but nutritious meal, this Vegan Chickpea Curry always has you covered! So easy to make in just one pot, you'll love the easy prep and cleanup.
Best of all, the results are always delicious! With classic flavors, this Indian curry with chickpeas is sure to satisfy. This vegan curry recipe is a comforting dish that you'll feel incredible about serving to your loved ones.
And for another tasty curry recipe, make these Shrimp Curry with Broccoli and Rice for a seafood twist on the dish!
🧂 Ingredients Needed
- coconut oil - helps pull the coconut flavor all the way through the dish.
- spice blend - a combination of coriander, turmeric, cumin, and curry powder combine to create a warm and fragrant spice blend that will add tons of flavor to your coconut chickpea curry.
- minced garlic - gives your curry a distinctly garlicky flavor that enhances the other flavors.
- diced tomatoes - you can dice fresh tomatoes, but to save time canned diced tomatoes are a great options.
- coconut milk - provides a nice creamy texture and a subtle sweetness.
- chickpeas - healthy and filling, chickpeas will be the star of this curry!
- Heat coconut oil in a large pan or pot and stir in minced garlic, coriander, turmeric, cumin, and curry power. Cook until fragrant, about a minute.
- Add coconut milk, tomatoes, and chickpeas. Bring the mixture to a boil, then cover and simmer for 10 to 12 minutes. Then remove the lid and stir constantly for about 5 minutes, or until the curry reaches your desired thickness.
When eaten in moderation, absolutely! Chickpeas are exceptionally healthy and are a rich source of a wide variety of vitamins and minerals, as well as fiber. Chickpeas are also known to aid in weight management and are quite filling while also aiding in digestion.
Chickpeas are an incredible option for the amount of nutrition they'll bring to the dish. Some other choices include vegetables, tofu, tempeh, or beans.
Yes, canned chickpeas (also sometimes called garbanzo beans) are quite healthy and ready to eat right out of the can. Be sure to drain them, as the liquid they're packaged in often contains excess sodium. If you really want to, you can also rinse the chickpeas.
💭 Expert Tips and Tricks
- Be sure to allow enough cooking time with the lid on to soften up the chickpeas and improve the texture of this curry.
- Serve over rice for a protein-rich meal. Basmati rice is a great option, but you could also use jasmine rice or any white rice. Brown rice is a nice healthy choice!
- When possible, avoid using light coconut milk. Full fat coconut milk is what gives this vegan chickpea curry its thickness and creamy consistency.
- Add salt and black pepper to taste.
📌 Make this one pot coconut chickpea curry for a flavorful and comforting, easy meal any night of the week! Great with your choice of vegetables, this is a healthy dish that's compatible with a vegan diet and even meat eaters will love it.
💡 Substitutions and Variations
- Add even more vegetables to your curry for flavor and extra nutrition. Anything that's in season will work well, and especially things like yellow onion, broccoli, red bell pepper, green beans, carrots, red onion, baby spinach, sweet potatoes, and cauliflower.
- Olive oil can be used instead of coconut oil.
- For additional flavor, add some fresh lime juice or tomato paste.
- Garam masala can be used instead of the spice blend.
- If you want an even thicker curry, add some coconut flour.
- Garnish with fresh cilantro.
🥫 Storage and Reheating
Store leftovers in the fridge in an airtight container for 3-4 days. You can also keep your coconut chickpea curry in the freezer for up to 3 months.
To reheat, either microwave your curry in 30 second intervals until heated through, or pour into a pot and heat over the stove. If your curry is too thick, add a splash of coconut milk.
From frozen, simply let the curry thaw in the fridge, then heat as normal!
🍴 What To Serve With This Dish
Looking for something to serve your vegan chickpea curry over top of? Try it with this Instant Pot Cilantro Lime Rice, or on top of this Slow Cooker Quinoa. For a tasty veggie dish on the side, make Easy Roasted Brussels Sprouts and Carrots or quick and yummy Perfect Air Fryer Cauliflower!
✔️ More One Pot Recipes You'll Love
- One Pot Curry Pasta - If you love the flavors of curry, you'll also enjoy this pasta dish with healthy vegetables!
- One Pan Chicken Cordon Bleu - Perfect for a quick and simple chicken dinner the whole family will love.
- One Pot Sausage and Couscous - Ready in 25 minutes, this is an excellent weeknight dinner with comforting flavors.
- One Pot Chicken and Rice - From Iowa Girl Eats, this recipe is the ultimate comfort food with familiar flavors!
Easy Chickpea Curry
Love this recipe? Awesome! Snap a photo and tag me on Instagram. You can find me at DizzyBusyandHungry or #dizzybusyandhungry!
⭐ Did you make this recipe? Please give it a star rating below! ⭐
📋 Recipe Card
One Pot Vegan Chickpea Curry
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 teaspoon coriander
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 tablespoon curry powder
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 15 ounces canned diced tomatoes (1 can)
- 15 ounces canned coconut milk (1 can)
- 31 ounces canned chickpeas (2 cans), drained
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Naan bread and/or rice for serving serve (optional)
- In a large skillet, stir together the coconut oil, turmeric, coriander, cumin, curry powder, and minced garlic. Allow the mixture to cook for a minute or two to bring the flavors out.1 tablespoon coconut oil, 1 teaspoon turmeric, 1 teaspoon coriander, 1 teaspoon cumin, 1 tablespoon curry powder, 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- Add the tomatoes, coconut milk, and chickpeas. Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat to medium-low. Cover the curry and simmer for 10-12 minutes.15 ounces canned diced tomatoes (1 can), 15 ounces canned coconut milk (1 can), 31 ounces canned chickpeas (2 cans), drained
- Remove the lid from the pan and continue stirring occasionally for about 5 minutes, or until the curry has reached the desired thickness.
- Add salt and pepper to taste, and serve with a side of rice and naan if desired.Salt and pepper to taste, Naan bread and/or rice for serving serve
- This easy Indian-style curry is great with fresh vegetables added in. Experiment with whatever veggies are in season to add some extra nutrients and flavor to this delicious dish.
- Substitute olive oil for the coconut oil, if desired.
- Allowing the curry to cook with the lid on helps soften the chickpeas for a better texture in the dish.
- Store leftovers in the fridge for up to 4 days. Note that the curry thickens a bit during storage in the fridge.
- Basmati rice works well with this recipe, but you can use any rice.
Nutritional information is an estimate. The nutritional values for your final dish may vary based on measuring differences and products used.
Thanks so much for reading! I also invite you to follow me on FACEBOOK, PINTEREST, or INSTAGRAM to keep up with what's going on in my kitchen.
And you might want to check out my Dizzy Busy and Hungry store on Amazon for a whole bunch of great kitchen products I love!
I love one pot meals, and this one looks delicious! Can’t wait to make it for dinner tonight!
So simple to make and full of flavor! This is going into our regular rotation!
I'm obsessed with chickpeas and finding new ways to use them as I try to cut out a lot of meat in my diet. This recipe hit all the right notes! It was really flavorful and so easy.
I love anything with chickpeas. Can't wait to try this!
Great flavors and easy to make! Thanks for sharing this recipe!