Looking for a light yet filling lunch? Or a nice cool side dish for these last hot days of summer? Look no further, this Avocado Cucumber Quinoa Salad will delight your taste buds and make you feel good that you are making a healthy food choice!
Plus, it is really easy to make. Aside from boiling the water to make the the quinoa, this dish requires no cooking!
I have been trying to incorporate more beans into our diet lately. So I added a whole can of pinto beans to this salad. They are a great source of fiber and protein, vitamins B1 and B6, and more! Thing 2 does not yet like beans, but if I persist, I bet someday he will like them! Maybe. Well, at the very least, I will know that I gave it my best shot. 🙂
I used fresh basil in this dressing, and it really did taste great. However, knowing that not everyone has easy access to fresh basil at all times (and/or maybe you just forgot to pick some up at the store), you can just skip it and it will still taste good!
I personally don’t care for dried basil, so I won’t use it, although you can try it (and let me know how it turns out!). The lime is the key in this dressing, and that will provide enough flavor to make this really tasty either way!
Avocado Cucumber Quinoa SaladPrint Recipe
- 1 cup uncooked quinoa
- 1 medium cucumber (sliced into bite-sized chunks)
- 1 ripe avocado (peeled and sliced into bite-sized chunks (I coated these with a little lime juice to keep them from turning brown too quickly)
- 14.5 ounces pinto beans (1 can, drained and rinsed)
- 14.5 ounces basil, garlic, and oregano flavor diced tomatoes (1 can)
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 1/2 tablespoons lime juice
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh basil
- Cook the quinoa according to package directions.
- While the quinoa is cooking, combine in a large bowl the cucumber, avocado, pinto beans, pepper, lime juice, garlic powder, and basil.
- Remove about 2 tablespoons liquid from the diced tomatoes, and add to the mixture.
- When the quinoa is done, let it cool for about 10 minutes, then add to the cucumber mixture.
- Toss to combine and serve.
Note: This post has been shared at THESE link parties!
Want to keep up with the latest yummy recipes on DBH?
Sign up to receive new recipes in your inbox (only 1 email per week)!