As we approach Labor Day weekend, I have two things on my mind: a day off from work (woohoo!) and barbecues (yippee!). Labor Day weekend always involves some kind of gathering where we grill and eat outside, enjoying the last few moments of summer before the school year kicks into full swing.
My kids are actually home this week. Day camp is over and school has not yet started for us. It is usually a tough week, although it has gotten easier now that they are older and can fix their own breakfast and lunch and basically fend for themselves. They just need a little supervision to make sure they don’t spend all day on the computer or in front of the TV. Luckily, I can work from home when needed, so it all works out one way or another.
Anyway, in the spirit of Labor Day weekend cookouts, I am sharing the recipe for this wonderful coleslaw that I like to bring to picnics. It is not mayonnaise-based, so you don’t have to sorry about giving food poisoning to your friends and family (ack!). But it is delicious and I get huge compliments on it every time I bring it to a party. It is super-easy as well. The hardest part is toasting the sesame seeds (sometimes I forget about them in the oven and they burn!).
Thing 2 is not usually pleased with this coleslaw, as you might have guessed. But he will eat it if I tell him he must. Thing 1 loves it, and I have actually had a pretty good success rate with most kids who try it!
Ramen Noodle ColeslawPrint Recipe
- Toast the sesame seeds, about 350 degrees in the oven for about 10-15 minutes. Keep an eye on them to make sure they don't burn.
- Mix together the following to make the dressing: olive oil, vinegar, sugar, salt, pepper, green onions, chicken flavor packet from the ramen noodle package.
- Crush the ramen noodles until there are no large chunks (small chunks are OK).
- Combine the shredded cabbage and ramen noodles in a large bowl.
- Pour the dressing on the cabbage/noodle mixture and toss to coat.
- Top with the toasted sesame seeds and almonds.
Note: This post has been shared at THESE link parties!
Want to keep up with the latest yummy recipes on DBH?
Sign up to receive new recipes in your inbox (only 1 email per week)!