Some weeknights rate a 10 on the crazy schedule scale for us. I would venture to say that anyone with kids has experienced evenings like that from time to time!
With school starting in a couple of weeks, I know our schedule is going to shift into high gear soon. Some evenings, there is absolutely no time for me to cook. So what’s a busy mom to do? Do we resort to overpriced and nutritionally questionable fast food?
I used to do that from time to time, but not anymore! Instead, I have a some go-to meals that require few ingredients, little prep time, and yet are still family-pleasers!
This recipe is a lifesaver on those really crazy weeknights. Usually I will know ahead of time that one of our upcoming evenings will be extremely busy, and I can plan around it. I love this meal because it literally takes 10 minutes to throw together and get in front of the kids!
The key for this dinner is to have the right ingredients handy. The chicken needs to be already cooked and cubed. The bacon needs to be already cooked and crumbled.
You can certainly cook the chicken and bacon yourself as part of the prep for this dish if you have the time! That would be the cheapest and best way to do it, but obviously that takes a little more time and effort.
If I know this meal is slated for a really busy evening, I streamline by either cooking the chicken and bacon ahead of time, or I buy the pre-cooked chicken and the real bacon crumbles.
That way, making this dinner is just a matter of putting it all together. Yes, the pre-cooked versions are more expensive, but even then, this dinner still works out to be cheaper and healthier than fast food, so I consider it a win!
This meal was a hit with the whole family. Thing 1 and Thing 2 did not even complain about the tomatoes, although I admit I found a few left on their plates that had been picked out! But I think a few made it into their tummies, too. Score!
Thing 2 rating = (3.5 out of 5 biscuits)! However, the only thing he did not like was the tomatoes, so I personally think I should have gotten a higher score! Thing 2…he is a tough one!! (*shaking my head*)
Bacon Blue Cheese Chicken Wraps
- 2 cups cooked chicken (cubed, buy pre-cooked for extra convenience)
- 1/2 cup ranch dressing (I use a light version)
- 3 tablespoons blue cheese crumbles
- 3 tablespoons bacon crumbles (buy real bacon crumbles for extra convenience)
- 1/2 cup halved grape tomatoes
- 1 1/2 tabslespoons chopped fresh basil
- 4 whole grain wraps (large size, like the kind by La Tortilla Factory))
- romaine lettuce leaves
- Combine the chicken, dressing, blue cheese crumbles, bacon crumbles, grape tomatoes, and basil in a medium bowl.
- Line each of the 4 wraps with lettuce.
- Distribute the chicken over the 4 wraps.
- Roll, and fasten with a toothpick if needed to keep the wrap together.
Note: This post has been shared at THESE link parties!
Want to keep up with the latest yummy recipes on DBH?
Sign up to receive new recipes in your inbox (only 1 email per week)!