Easy, tasty, healthy! That pretty much sums up this recipe.
And even Thing 2 was a fan! OK, I admit that he picked out the celery, but he ate everything else!
I love that I was able to get this dinner on the table in under 30 minutes. I did adapt it from a recipe at OurSkinny.com, and made a just a couple of changes. As usual, they were mostly because I am lazy or did not want to buy an ingredient I don’t normally use.
So, for the garlic, I used jarred minced garlic instead of fresh. And for the ginger, I substituted dry ground ginger. I find the jarred garlic to be a pretty good swap, but I definitely feel that the dry ground ginger is not as ‘gingery’ as fresh. And it isn’t just a matter of adding more to the recipe, it really is a different intensity of taste.
That being said, it was delicious with the ground ginger, so if that is what you have on hand, go for it! If you use fresh, though, reduce the amount to about 1 tablespoon.
For the photos in this post, I tried to go light with the sauce so as not to soak the lettuce leaves and end up with limp looking lettuce.
I think it worked, but as a result the chicken mixture does not reflect the nice brown color of the sauce. #foodphotographyproblems 😀
Also, I used regular iceberg lettuce because I could not find the Boston or Bibb lettuce that the original recipe specified. It worked out just fine!
Or, you can be like my husband and just eat the chicken without the lettuce! He came home late that night and I forgot to let him know that he needed to assemble his dinner before eating it. But, that worked out just fine too!
Adapted from a recipe at OurSkinny.com.
Chicken and Cashew Lettuce WrapsPrint Recipe
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce (low sodium is fine)
- 2 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 3/4 pounds boneless skinless chicken (cut into bite-sized pieces (can use breasts or thighs)
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 3 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1 1/2 teaspoons dry ground ginger
- 1 bunch scallions (chopped)
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1/4 cup cashews (dry roasted, unsalted)
- 1 head lettuce (leaves separated)
- In a small bowl, mix together the soy sauce, vinegar, and honey. Set aside.
- Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat, then add the chicken and black pepper and cook about 3 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Reduce heat to medium and add the garlic, ginger, and scallions, and cook for another minute.
- Stir in the celery and about half of the soy sauce mixture. Cook another 4-5 minutes, until the chicken is done.
- Remove from heat and sprinkle in the cashews.
- Divide the chicken among 4 lettuce leaves and serve.
- Extra soy sauce mixture can be drizzled on top as desired.
If you like this dish, check out this Asian Lettuce Wrap recipe from The Foodie Affair
Note: This post has been shared at THESE link parties!
Want to keep up with the latest yummy recipes on DBH?
Sign up to receive new recipes in your inbox (only 1 email per week)!