I love to grill sandwiches for dinner. Easy prep + delicious meal + easy clean-up = streamlined, more relaxing evening for everyone!
For a long time, plain ol’ grilled cheese was a weekly staple in my house. Then a few years ago, I started to get a little more creative with the grilled sandwiches. I would throw in a slice or two of turkey breast, or tomato, or even turkey pepperoni. Yeah, that’s right…some really crazy stuff going on there…haha! 😉
Anyway, at some point I stumbled across a recipe on the Busy Cooks section of About.com and I was intrigued by the use of salmon, cheese and apple as a flavor combination in a grilled sandwich. I tried it out on the family a few times, tweaking it here and there to customize to the tastes of the kids (you guessed it… Thing 2 was the biggest critic!), and ended up with this quick and easy, crispy sandwich that is both sweet and savory at the same time. It makes a great dinner for a busy family on the go!
–Make the salmon spread the night before to reduce the time needed for preparation. This recipe makes plenty for a family of 4-6, so you could even take some into work as a cold sandwich!
–Line the baking sheet with non-stick aluminum foil to make clean-up even snappier!
–I have one kid (can you guess which one?) who is often put off by mixed textures. Sometimes I take pity on him and leave the apple out of his portion. He likes it much better without! Then I serve him some apple wedges on the side.
That makes it a hit from my perspective! 🙂
Grilled Cheese and Salmon SandwichesPrint Recipe
- 14 ounce salmon (1 can, drained)
- 1 1/2 cups shredded reduced-fat Swiss cheese
- ½ cup light mayonnaise (you can use a little more if the mixture seems to need it)
- 1 apple (diced well, I use a Gala and leave the skin on)
- Pepper to taste
- 10-12 slices whole wheat or multi-grain bread
- Buttery spread to coat the bread (I use Brummel and Brown)
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
- Combine the salmon, cheese, mayonnaise, apple, and pepper in a bowl, mix well.
- Butter the outsides of the bread and place bottom slices on baking sheet.
- Spread salmon mix on bottom slices and place top slices over them.
- Bake sandwiches for 8 minutes on one side, then flip and bake for another 6-8 minutes until brown and crispy.
Note: This post has been shared at THESE link parties!
Want to keep up with the latest yummy recipes on DBH?
Sign up to receive new recipes in your inbox (only 1 email per week)!