This Grilled Cheese and Roasted Red Pepper Sandwich is going to "WOW!" your taste buds! Hot, melty cheese combined with the smoky sweetness of roasted red peppers and nutritional goodness of spinach come together on crispy buttered bread baked in the oven for an easy meal everyone will love.
This baked sandwich recipe is ready in 25 minutes and only requires 5 ingredients, so it’s perfect for a hot lunch or quick, simple dinner on a busy weeknight!
👩🏻🍳 Why You'll Love This Recipe
Skip the drive-through - here's a nutritional, home-cooked meal that can be ready in 20 minutes or less!
This baked sandwich makes for a fabulous weeknight dinner. They are easy to put together, taste delicious, and you can make them without a lot of crazy ingredients.
Or you can make them with crazy ingredients! Seriously, you can put some many yummy ingredients in your grilled sandwiches that you'll never be bored with a "just another sandwich" for dinner again.
And if you can't get enough roasted red peppers, try these Creamy Ranch Tortilla Pinwheels. Perfect as a snack!
🥘 Ingredients Needed
- roasted red peppers - you can buy canned or jarred roasted red peppers to streamline prep.
- fresh spinach - for some extra nutrition.
- bread - use whatever bread you prefer for your grilled cheese sandwiches.
- butter - you'll use this to butter the bread so it gets nice and crispy.
- cheddar cheese - goes great with the flavor of the peppers, but feel free to switch it up.
- Lightly chop the roasted red peppers.
- Pat your peppers dry.
- Wash and dry the spinach.
- Butter one side of each slice of bread and place 4 slices butter side down on a baking sheet.
- Layer on cheese, spinach, peppers, and another slice of cheese.
- Cover with another piece of bread and bake at 450 degrees F for 5-6 minutes, then flip and bake another 5 or so minutes.
Yes! Red peppers are super dense in nutrients and contain 30 different antioxidants. Their potassium can also lead to an increase of calcium levels and they can even help neutralize free radicals!
If you're roasting your peppers yourself, you'll just want to make sure you cook them long enough at the right temperature. Some natural moisture is unavoidable, which is why it's important to pat them down! Check out this post for more info on roasting peppers.
Yes! I love this option as it allows me to baked 4 sandwiches all at the same time and is nearly as fast as cooking them in a skillet.
I typically use butter, as it gives the bread that distinctly buttery taste, and mayo provides more of a tangy flavor. Mayo does have a higher smoke point than butter, which means it's good to use when cooking in a skillet. But when baking grilled cheese, I don't worry as much about burning, so butter is my choice!
💭 Expert Tips and Tricks
- Lining your baking sheet with parchment paper is a great way to cut down on cleanup.
- If you've never made oven sandwiches before, be sure to check a few minutes early in case your oven runs a little hot. This will avoid any accidental burning!
- You can make these easily on the stovetop in a skillet as well.
You'll love how easy it is to put together this baked sandwich! Quick and healthy and a family favorite, it will quickly become a weeknight dinner go-to!
📖 Substitutions and Variations
- Use your favorite cheese, whether it's American, provolone, Swiss, mozzarella, or Pepper Jack!
- Add basil, tomato, avocado, or pesto for even more flavor and nutrition.
- Make this roasted red pepper sandwich on sourdough, pumpernickel, multigrain bread, or even some English muffins!
🔊 What readers are saying...
"So simple - so fabulous! Thanks for the recipe xx"
🥫 Storage and Reheating
Wrap sandwiches individually and store in the fridge for 4-5 days. To reheat, I recommend either popping the in the oven or in an air fryer if you have it. Microwaving will likely make them soggy and not as good!
💡 What To Serve With This Dish
For a quick and healthy side to serve along with these roasted red pepper sandwiches, try this Garlic Butter Microwave Broccoli or some Air Fryer Frozen Vegetables.
Crispy Air Fryer Brussels Sprouts are also a good option, and if you want something with lots of flavor and protein, make this Buffalo Chicken Cobb Salad.
🍞 More Oven Sandwiches You'll Love
- Shrimp Grilled Cheese - A great and simple way to easily upgrade a classic grilled cheese.
- Chicken Grilled Cheese - Chicken and olives come together to enhance your grilled cheese for a flavorful dinner.
- Grilled Avocado Sauerkraut Sandwich - This dish features bold and savory flavors in a vegetarian take on the Reuben sandwich.
- Baked Ham and Cheese Sliders - Tastes Better From Scratch brings us this great oven sandwich that's perfect as an appetizer for a party!
- 15 melty grilled cheese sandwich recipes - Check out this collection of amazingly delicious grilled cheese recipes!
Grilled Cheese and Roasted Pepper Sandwich
Love this recipe? Awesome! Please give it a 5 star ⭐ rating below! And if you make this, snap a photo and tag me on Instagram. You can find me at DizzyBusyandHungry or #dizzybusyandhungry!
📋 Recipe Card
Grilled Cheese and Roasted Red Pepper Sandwich
- 2 roasted red peppers (from a jar is fine)
- 6 ounces fresh spinach
- 8 slices bread
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 8 slices cheddar cheese (or your favorite)
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees F.
- Roughly chop your roasted red peppers and pat dry. Wash and pat the spinach dry too.2 roasted red peppers, 6 ounces fresh spinach
- Butter 1 side of each of the 8 slices of bread.8 slices bread, 4 tablespoons butter
- Place 4 of the buttered slices, buttered side down, onto your baking sheet.
- Layer on your ingredients: 1 slice of cheese, spinach, peppers, and then top with another slice of cheese.8 slices cheddar cheese
- Place the remaining slices of bread on top, buttered side facing up.
- Bake in the oven 5-6 minutes, then flip the sandwiches and bake about 5 more minutes, until the sandwiches are golden brown and crispy.
- Substitute your favorite cheese for the cheddar. American, Swiss, mozzarella, and pepper Jack are all good options!
- Use parchment paper on your baking sheet for easy cleanup after your meal.
- If you haven't made grilled cheese in your oven before, make sure you check it after 3-4 minutes in case your oven runs hot, to avoid burning.
- These sandwiches can also be grilled on the stove top in a skillet or on a griddle if you prefer.
Nutritional information is an estimate. The nutritional values for your final dish may vary based on measuring differences and products used.
Thanks so much for reading! I also invite you to follow me on FACEBOOK, PINTEREST, or INSTAGRAM to keep up with what's going on in my kitchen.
And you might want to check out my Dizzy Busy and Hungry store on Amazon for a whole bunch of great kitchen products I love!
great combination of flavors we love this with peppers would have never thought to do that until I saw this thanks