Upgrade your Grilled Chicken Sandwich Recipe with Parmesan-crusted bread stuffed with chicken, cheese, and green olives! You will love the Parmesan cheese crusted on the outside of the bread, it creates an amazing crispy, crunchy experience to go along with the melty, cheesy filling!
Grilled Chicken Sandwich Recipe
August is National Sandwich Month...and you know there are some amazing sandwiches on the blog! Like my recipe for Sausage Mozzarella Sandwich - so hearty and amazing!
Or this recipe for Buffalo Chicken Sandwich - made right in the crock pot.
Or the unusual but amazingly flavorful Grilled Avocado Sauerkraut Sandwich!
Which of course is another excuse to come up with a fun grilled cheese sandwich!
I do love grilled
In fact, during the school year, I include a grilled cheese dinner into my meal plan almost every week. So I have started playing with different combinations of fillings to change things up a bit!
This sandwich was an evolution. The first few attempts were good, but not stellar. I loved the idea of crusting the sandwich with Parmesan cheese for a little extra oomph. The first time, I combined the Parmesan cheese with the buttery spread and then slathered it on the bread.
That was good, but not great. The second time, I buttered the bread and then sprinkled the Parmesan cheese on it, patting it to make it stick, and that created more crusty Parmesan texture on the surface of the bread. Yum!
I kinda sound the three three bears right? It's all about taste testing, my favorite part! 😋
The filling also evolved. I wanted to keep it fairly simple and something I could whip up on the spur of the moment, so I didn't want to go too crazy with add-ins.
Grocery list for Grilled Chicken Sandwich Recipe
- cooked chicken
- shredded cheese
- green olives
- sourdough bread
- Parmesan cheese
The first few attempts involved chicken and cheese and different combinations of spices. Again, they were good, but nothing special. Eventually, I decided to add green olives into the filling and voila!! That was it! They added so much flavor, it really didn't need anything else.
I was actually surprised that Thing 2 did not care for the olives. He would have been happy with plain chicken and cheese. But, he did enjoy the crusty Parmesan-sprinkled bread, so it all worked out. Thing 1 and DH were impressed and asked for me to make this again sometime soon!
Thing 2 rating = 3 out of 5 biscuits. He docked me two whole biscuits even though he picked out the olives, because apparently he could still taste them. That kid is a tough one to please! I responded by making him eat his cauliflower...ha! 🙂
What is the best bread for grilled cheese?
I prefer the tang of a great sour dough, but you can really use your favorite bread.
What cheese is best for grilled chicken sandwich?
Again, you can use your favorite, but for this
- Monterey Jack (Pepper Jack would also be a great choice!)
- Provolone - see? So many choices!
How to make Grilled Chicken Sandwich Recipe with Cheese - Step by Step
Step 1.Place the chopped chicken, shredded cheese, and olives in a bowl.
Step 2.Mix well and set aside.
Step 3.Butter one side of the bread. Sprinkle Parmesan cheese on 4 slices of the buttered side and place them butter side down on a baking sheet.
Step 4.Distribute filling across the slices.
Step 5.Sprinkle remaining Parmesan cheese on the buttered side of the remaining 4 slices of bread and place them on top of the filling, buttered side up.
Step 6.Bake for 6-8 minutes, then flip the sandwiches and bake about 6 minutes more, until the sandwiches are golden brown and crispy.
Looking for some other grilled cheese recipes?
Use up your leftover chili with my recipe for Chili Cheese Grilled Sandwiches. They're a little messy but SOOOOO gooey and tasty!
And you don't want to miss this one for Turkey and Brie Grilled Cheese. It's an upscaled grilled cheese that will knock your socks off!
What goes great with a Chicken Grilled Cheese Sandwich?
My recipe for Berry Delicious Fruit Salad would be a perfect pairing with this hearty sandwich! (and the kids love it too!)
Want to create your own unique grilled cheese?
Check out this article about The Ultimate Ranking of the 11 Best Cheeses for Grilled Cheese Sandwiches so you can make the best grilled cheese ever!
And don't underestimate the importance of the bread. You'll also want to find out which bread is The Best Bread for Grilled Cheese!
Grilled Chicken Sandwich Recipe with Cheese
Chicken Grilled Cheese
- 1 cup diced cooked chicken
- 1 ½ cups shredded colby jack cheese
- ¾ cup roughly chopped green olives
- 8 slices sourdough bread
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 2-4 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese (divided, more or less depending on how much you sprinkle on each sandwich)
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
- Combine chicken, shredded cheese, and olives in a medium bowl. Set aside.1 cup diced cooked chicken, 1 ½ cups shredded colby jack cheese, ¾ cup roughly chopped green olives
- Butter one side of each of the 8 slices of bread.8 slices sourdough bread, 4 tablespoons butter
- Sprinkle 4 of the bread slices on the buttered side with some Parmesan cheese, and place them butter side down on a baking sheet.2-4 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
- Distribute filling across the 4 slices.
- Sprinkle remaining Parmesan cheese on the buttered side of the last 4 slices of bread, and place them on top of the filling, buttered side up.
- Bake for 6-8 minutes, then flip the sandwiches and bake about 6 minutes more, until the sandwiches are golden brown and crispy. (Alternatively, you can grill them on the stove top on a griddle or in a skillet).
- Let your butter soften before spreading, or use a whipped butter or a buttery spread to make it easier.
- Cook your chicken on the weekend so that you don't have to fuss with cooking it before using it in the sandwich. OR, if know you will be really pressed for time, you can buy pre-cooked, pre-diced frozen chicken. Just thaw the pieces in the microwave a bit before using it.
- Add some chopped fresh baby spinach to the chicken and cheese mixture if you would like to sneak some veggies in for extra nutrition.
- Leftover sandwiches can be stored in the refrigerator for up to a week. Wrap them in plastic or use an airtight container.
- Reheat sandwiches in the oven at 350 degrees for about 10 minutes or until heated through before serving.
Nutritional information is an estimate. The nutritional values for your final dish may vary based on measuring differences and products used.
Check out my Dizzy Busy and Hungry store on Amazon for other great kitchen products I love!