Happy Tuesday, folks! I am really glad that Monday is over. It was a rainy, dreary one in my neck of the woods. And I was feeling pretty unmotivated at work. But, I got some stuff done anyway, and now I am ready to tackle Tuesday!
For my post today, since it is the last day of April, I am sneaking in one last National Grilled Cheese Month recipe. These Cheddar Pumpkin Grilled Cheese Sandwiches were a big hit in my house!
Grilled cheese is a great go-to meal if you have kids…or even if you don’t. My kids are always up for bread and cheese. Whenever I can, I try to leverage that love for bread and cheese to sneak in some stuff that is even better for them, hopefully without them realizing!
I came across the idea to use pumpkin in grilled cheese from HungryGirl.com, and thought that it had a lot of potential to be a hit in my house. In the end we had a filling, cheesy, crispy sandwich chock-full of fiber and vitamins A and C. Not bad for a dinner that you can prepare in 15-20 minutes!
Adapted from a HungryGirl.com recipe.
Cheddar Pumpkin Grilled SandwichesPrint Recipe
- 4 wedges spreadable light Swiss cheese (like the kind by The Laughing Cow)
- 1 cup 100% pure pumpkin (I used Libby's)
- 1/4 cup shredded reduced-fat cheddar cheese
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 8 slices whole grain bread
- buttery spread , as needed (I used Brummel & Brown)
- 4 slices reduced-fat cheddar cheese
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
- Unwrap cheese wedges, place on a microwaveable plate, and microwave for 15-20 seconds to soften them.
- In a medium bowl, combine the cheese wedges, pumpkin, shredded cheese, salt, chili powder, and paprika.
- Butter one side of each of the 8 slices of bread with the buttery spread.
- Lay 4 slices on a baking sheet, butter side down.
- Distribute the pumpkin mixture among the 4 slices.
- Place a slice of cheddar on each, then top with the remaining 4 slices of bread, butter side up.
- Bake for 6-8 minutes, then flip sandwiches and bake for 6 more minutes, or until golden brown and crispy.
Note: This post has been shared at THESE link parties!
Want to keep up with the latest yummy recipes on DBH?
Sign up to receive new recipes in your inbox (only 1 email per week)!