Macaroni with a creamy pumpkin sauce and tasty chunks of bacon make this dish a filling and delicious family hit!
My boys love pasta, so I am always looking for new and interesting ways to serve it. Although I have to admit, they would probably be happy with just buttered noodles every night if that is what I gave them! But I am a little more interested in nutrition than they are, so buttered noodles every night is not an option.
I actually initially made this dish as Pumpkin Pasta…without the bacon! I wanted to create a dinner that contained the nutritional goodness of pumpkin yet also took advantage of my kids’ love of pasta. The first time I made it, however, it was kind of plain. The family liked it, but they didn’t love it.
So I set myself to the task of figuring out how to rev it up a bit. It needed more texture as well as a punch of flavor. I mulled over the problem for a few days, when suddenly, while driving some kid to some activity, it hit me. BACON!
I love how creamy and pumpkin-y this dish turns out. The sage is a perfect compliment to the buttery sweetness of the pumpkin. And the bacon really provides a shot of flavor and texture to round out the experience.
The other great thing about this dish is that it is very filling! All that fiber from the pumpkin and the whole grain pasta will fill your tummy and keep you content for hours!
Bacon and Pumpkin PastaPrint Recipe
- 12 oz whole grain macaroni (1 package)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 14.5 oz chicken broth (1 can)
- 15 oz pure pumpkin (1 can)
- 3/4 cup fat-free half & half creamer
- 1/3 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon ground sage
- 1/4 teaspoon each salt and pepper
- 1 cup roughly chopped cooked bacon (shortcut: buy precooked bacon recipe pieces)
- 1 teaspoon sriracha sauce (or to taste (optional))
- Cook the macaroni according to package directions.
- While the pasta is cooking, make the pumpkin sauce.
- Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high, then add the onion and garlic. Cook for about 4-5 minutes.
- Stir in the chicken broth, pumpkin, and creamer. Add in the parmesan cheese, cinnamon, nutmeg, sage, salt, and pepper, and mix until well combined.
- Simmer about 5 minutes.
- When the pasta is done, drain and place back in the pot, covering to keep warm.
- Combine pasta, bacon, and pumpkin sauce. Add optional sriracha sauce, if desired.
CHECK OUT ALL OF THIS WEEK’S #SUNDAYSUPPER RECIPES BELOW!
Many thanks to Erica from The Crumby Cupcake for hosting this fun event!
Bacon in Appetizers
- Apple and Bacon Jam Quesadillas by Nik Snacks
- Game Day Bacon & Cheddar ‘Tater Skins by Powered By BLING
- Killer Jalapeño Poppers by Simply Healthy Family
- Spicy Bacon-Wrapped Shrimp by Food Lust People Love
Bacon for Breakfast
- Avocado Toast with Coconut Bacon by Helpful Homemade
- Bacon Cinnamon Rolls with Maple Glaze by Sew You Think You Can Cook
- Breakfast Bruschetta by Grumpy’s Honeybunch
- Candied Maple Bacon by A Mind Full Mom
- Maple Bacon Protein Pancakes by Amee’s Savory Dish
Bacon for Dessert
- Bacon Brownie Balls by Monica’s Table
- Bacon Chocolate Chip Cookies by Desserts Required
- Boozy Bacon Cherry Crumble by Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Flourless Peanut Butter Bacon Cookies by Pies and Plots
- Maple Bacon Truffles by Dessert Geek
- Spiced Apple Bacon Upside Down Cake by The Crumby Cupcake
Bacon for Dinner
- Bacon and Pumpkin Pasta by Dizzy Busy and Hungry
- Bacon Corn Chowder by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Bacon Fried Rice by Asian In America
- Bacon Wrapped Turkey Meatloaf by April Golightly
- Creamy Blue Cheese Pasta with Steak and Bacon by Magnolia Days
- K.C.’s Award Winning Turkey Bacon Explosion by Cooking With Carlee
- Kimchi Bacon Fried Rice by kimchi MOM
- Spaghetti alla Carbonara by The Bitter Side of Sweet
- The Pigskin Loaded Baked Potato by Sunday Supper Movement
- Triple Bypass Burgers by Fantastical Sharing of Recipes
Bacon in Beverages
- Candied Bacon Old Fashioned by Culinary Adventures with Camilla
- Homemade Bloody Mary with Candied Bacon Swizzle by Our Good Life
- Pancetta with Balsamic-Brown Sugar-Pepper Glaze for Bloody Mary by La Bella Vita Cucina
Bacon for Lunch
- Bacon, Fig and Goat’s Cheese Quiche by Caroline’s Cooking
- BLT Bread Salad by The Chef Next Door
- Grilled Manwich Club by Momma’s Meals
- Restaurant Style Double Bacon BLT by The Freshman Cook
- Turkey & Bacon Sliders with ‘Isn’t That Special’ Sauce by Bottom Left of the Mitten
Bacon as a Side Dish
- Bacon and Cheddar Smashed Red Potatoes by Family Around The Table
- Bourbon Bacon Jam by Cosmopolitan Cornbread
- Bacon, Beer & Jalapeno Muffins by Wholistic Woman
- Easy Bacon, Beans & Greens by My Life Cookbook
- Greens with Gruyere and Bacon by Cooking Chat
- Peas with Bacon and Crispy Onions by Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. To get more great Sunday Supper Recipes, visit our website or check out our Pinterest board.
Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy. You can sign up by clicking here: Sunday Supper Movement.
Note: This post has been shared at THESE link parties!
Want to keep up with the latest yummy recipes on DBH?
Sign up to receive new recipes in your inbox (only 1 email per week)!