Bacon and cheese wrapped in a yummy corn tortilla and baked until crispy, anyone?!? Yes, please! I always welcome any opportunity to use bacon, although I make sure to either use turkey bacon or center cut bacon to minimize the calories from fat.
For many years, I avoided serving bacon or anything with bacon in it, mostly because I thought it was a pain to cook it. I tried preparing it in the microwave, but could never get it to cook evenly and so I always ended up with burnt sections and undercooked sections right on the same piece of bacon (so frustrating!).
And I didn’t like cooking it on the stove top either, because of the splattering, and the need to babysit the skillet and turn the bacon every so often. But now that I have learned how to bake my bacon, I want to put bacon in everything! (DH is SUPER happy about that, as you can imagine!)
Baking bacon…maybe that should be called BAKE-ON?? BAKE-UN?? Well, no matter what you call it, it is easy and makes my family happy that I am using bacon more than I used to!
Between the bacon and the cheese and the corn tortilla, this meal has lots of flavor. So, I decided to ‘sneak’ in a veggie too. It is really not all that sneaky, though, because you can see the spinach right in the taquito.
However, you really can’t taste it with everything else going on in there, so there were no complaints whatsoever. And I served a side veggie as well, so the kids got a double shot of their vegetables! Score one for mom! 🙂
This recipe makes 8 taquitos, which meant that each of us had 2. But Thing 1 and Thing 2 both found that they wanted a third, so the next time I make this I will probably make 12. I was happy with just 2, but DH probably would have liked a third as well. You will want to adjust the amounts based on your family members’ appetites!
Thing 2 rating = (4 out of 5 biscuits!)
Cheesy Bacon TaquitosPrint Recipe
- 8 strips of bacon (I used center cut bacon)
- 8 corn tortillas
- 4 wedges Laughing Cow Light Creamy Swiss
- 1 cup shredded cheddar (I used reduced-fat)
- 2-3 handfuls fresh spinach
- Preheat oven too 400 degrees F (200 degrees C).
- Line a rimmed baking sheet with non-stick foil, and place the 8 strips of bacon on the sheet, making sure they do not touch.
- Place in the oven and bake for 15-20 minutes.
- When the bacon is almost done, prepare the tortillas by first softening them in the microwave (wrap them in a damp paper towel and microwave about 20-30 seconds). This step is important, otherwise your tortillas will crack when you try to roll them up!
- Spread 1/2 wedge of the creamy Swiss cheese on each tortilla.
- Divide the shredded cheddar amongst the 8 tortillas and sprinkle on top of the Swiss cheese.
- Remove the bacon from the oven and reset the temperature to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C).
- Carefully handling the hot bacon, place one strip on each tortilla, to the side of the center, layer on about 8-10 spinach leaves, and roll them up. Place the tortillas on another baking sheet, seam side down.
- Bake for 15 minutes, until the tortillas become crispy.