This recipe for Pumpkin Overnight Oats is flavorful, warm, and will fill your stomach! High in fiber, vitamins, and minerals, this vegan overnight oats recipe is so easy to prepare in the slow cooker, and it can cook overnight and be ready for you in the morning!
👩🏻🍳 Why You'll Love This Recipe
There is no better feeling than waking up early on a chilly autumn morning and smelling the enticing aroma of Pumpkin Overnight Oats already cooked in your crock pot and ready to be enjoyed! This oatmeal is the ultimate in a healthy, tummy-warming, energy-providing breakfast. You have to try it!
Using steel cut oats is the key to a hearty and nutritious breakfast. Unlike traditional quick or rolled oats which go through extra processing to reduce cooking time, steel cut oats are much closer to the unprocessed oat and provide more health benefits as a result. They take longer to cook, but that's no problem for an overnight recipe!
If you can't get enough of overnight oats, you'll also love this recipe for Easy Strawberry Overnight Oats!
🥘 Ingredients Needed
- milk - I like to use unsweetened vanilla almond milk, but use whatever you prefer.
- water - ensures that your oats don't get too thick.
- steel cut oats - since steel cut oats take longer to cook, they're perfect for this recipe!
- maple syrup - a more natural way to add sweetness to your oatmeal.
- pumpkin puree - low in calories but rich in vitamins, minerals, and antioxidants, this is the perfect ingredient for a healthy breakfast.
- pumpkin pie spice - pairs with the pumpkin puree to give this vegan overnight oats recipe its signature pumpkin flavor!
- applesauce - provides additional flavor and texture.
- salt - helps balance out all of the warm sweetness.
- Combine milk, water, oats, syrup, pumpkin, pumpkin pie spice, applesauce, and salt in a bowl.
- Mix until everything is well incorporated.
- Spray the inside of a slow cooker with non-stick spray.
- Pour the oatmeal mixture into the slow cooker, cover, and cook on low for 4-5 hours. Turn the slow cooker off, give the mixture a stir, and give it 5-10 minutes to thicken up.
Because oats are high in fiber they keep your stomach full for longer, which can reduce cravings and help you eat less in general. This can lead to weight loss, as oatmeal also helps in clearing out your digestive tract.
Definitely not, although serving oatmeal in a mason jar makes for a fun presentation. This vegan overnight oats recipe utilizes the slow cooker as opposed to soaking in the fridge.
Because this recipe uses the heat from the slow cooker, steel cut oats are best as they won't fall apart. When making overnight oats in the fridge, rolled oats are preferable as they're more absorbent and will soak up the liquid even in the cold temperature.
Your overnight oats will keep in the fridge for around 5 days to a week, which makes them perfect to make in large batches and then reheat for a quick breakfast whenever you need it!
💭 Other Helpful Tips
- If you're pressed for time or don't want extra dishes, you can combine all of the ingredients right in the slow cooker.
- To make this in the fridge instead of a slow cooker, you'll want to use rolled oats instead of steel cut. Substitute 3 cups of rolled oats for every 1 cup of steel cut, then combine everything, portion out into containers, and leave in the fridge overnight.
Pumpkin overnight oats are a perfect breakfast or afternoon pick-me-up, especially in the cool autumn months. This vegan overnight oats recipe is high in nutrition and will keep you full and satisfied throughout the day!
- This recipe is great to customize, especially when it comes to toppings. Sprinkle with cinnamon, dried cranberries, pecans, dark chocolate chips, coconut, or a dollop of peanut or almond butter.
- For added nutrition, mix some chia or flax seeds into your oatmeal mixture.
- If you want an even creamier texture, add some Greek yogurt.
🍳 More Breakfast Dishes
While these vegan overnight oats are a great breakfast on their own, here are a couple of other breakfast recipes that you can pair with your oatmeal or make all on their own. These Peanut Butter Oatmeal Balls require no baking and are the perfect portable breakfast or snack. If you're a smoothie person, you have to try this Banana Spinach Smoothie with Kiwi, and this simple Berry Salad would make the perfect companion to your overnight oats!
🎃 Pumpkin Recipes
- Cheddar Pumpkin Healthier Grilled Cheese - This autumnal take on grilled cheese is a bit healthier than the original sandwich; it tastes great and you can feel even better serving it to your family!
- Easy Pumpkin Spice Cake - For a simple and delicious dessert, try this pumpkin spice cake.
- Bacon and Pumpkin Pasta - A unique and tasty pasta dish that's full of health benefits.
Vegan Overnight Oats
Love this recipe? Awesome! Please give it a 5 star ⭐ rating below! And if you make this, snap a photo and tag me on Instagram. You can find me at DizzyBusyandHungry or #dizzybusyandhungry!
📋 Recipe Card
Pumpkin Overnight Oats
- Combine all ingredients (except garnishes) in a large bowl.1 ¾ cups unsweetened vanilla almond milk, 1 ½ cups water, 1 cup steel cut oats, ¼ cup pure maple syrup, ¾ cup pumpkin puree, 1 ½ tablespoons pumpkin pie spice, ½ cup unsweetened applesauce, ¼ teaspoon salt
- Spray the inside of the crock pot with non-stick cooking spray.
- Pour the mixture into the crock pot.
- Cover and set to cook on low for 4-5 hours.
- Turn off the crockpot (or turn it to warm), stir the oatmeal, and let it sit for 5-10 minutes to thicken.
- Serve with pecans, dried cranberries, or other garnish.pecans or dried cranberries for garnish
- You can substitute any milk + 1 teaspoon vanilla extract for the vanilla almond milk.
- In a hurry? Just mix all the ingredients right in the crockpot.
- Using a whisk helps to combine all the ingredients faster than just using a spoon.
- The pumpkin pie spice will sit on top even after you have mixed it in and it all looks 'wet'.
- To make this in the fridge instead of the slow cooker:
- Use 3 cups of rolled oats instead of 1 cup of steel cut oats.
- Keep all the remaining ingredients the same.
- Mix all the ingredients together (except for the garnishes).
- Distribute the mixture into 6-8 mason jars or other covered containers and place in the refrigerator overnight.
- In the morning, just stir and eat. Or you can heat it for a minute or so in the microwave for a warm, hearty breakfast!
Nutritional information is an estimate. The nutritional values for your final dish may vary based on measuring differences and products used.
Update Notes: This post was originally published in October 2014, but was republished with tips, step by step photos, and a recipe change in September 2021.
Check out my Dizzy Busy and Hungry store on Amazon for a whole bunch of great kitchen products I love!