Silky, fragrant, and flavorful, this comforting Healthy Butternut Squash Soup is a hit with adults and kids alike. It’s a healthy dish and a great way to get some additional nutrients into your young’uns!
When you have kids, you tend to stick with the more mainstream stuff, like broccoli, green beans, carrots, etc. At least, that is my experience and from talking with other moms it seems to be a pretty common situation.
So I have no idea how a bag of frozen butternut squash turned up in my freezer. I have no memory of buying it, or why I would have done such a thing. I don’t use butternut squash a lot, although I have developed a couple of other recipes with it.
One of my hesitations in using butternut squash is that it is a little difficult to work with if you buy it fresh. Some tell me that it isn’t that big of a deal once you get used to it, and I am sure they are right, but in my dizzy busy life, I just don’t have the time or energy to tackle it!
There is always the option of buying the fresh, pre-diced butternut squash in the produce aisle. That is a GREAT option, except it is a bit on the expensive side. Not too bad for using once in a while, but not something I want to do regularly.
Then I discovered FROZEN diced butternut squash. Wheeee! Affordable and easy! The down side is that you really can’t use it in everything, as it tends to get mushy when you cook it. But for soup, that aspect actually is a pro and not a con. So go ahead and buy the affordable and EASY frozen diced butternut squash for this recipe!
And since I had a bag of it already in my freezer, I decided to come up with a soup recipe, and the result was SO tasty that I have made this at least once a week for the last month!
This post may contain affiliate links which won’t change your price but will share some commission.
Healthy Butternut Squash Soup Recipe
So warm and comforting! This is the perfect soup for fall and winter. Serve alongside this Roasted Red Pepper Oven Grilled Cheese Sandwich for a hearty, filling meal!
Healthy Butternut Squash SoupPrint Recipe
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 (10 ounce) bags frozen diced butternut squash
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup onion, diced small (I used a food processor)
- 1/2 cup celery, diced small (I used a food processor)
- 1/2 cup carrots, diced small (I used a food processor)
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander seed
- 2 (32 ounce) cartons chicken broth (or vegetable broth)
- Heat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Heat butter in an ovenproof saute pan. Add the diced squash, salt, and pepper, and cook until hot. Place the pan in the oven and cook for another 15-20 minutes, until very soft, then mash with the back of a spoon and set aside.
- While the squash is roasting, heat the olive oil in a saucepan over medium heat. Add the onion, celery, carrot, cinnamon sticks, and coriander. Saute until soft, about 10 minutes.
- Add the broth and bring to a boil. Add the mashed squash and stir to combine. Bring back to a boil and simmer for abut 12 minutes.
Looking for more butternut squash recipes? Check these out!
- Roasted Butternut Squash and Kielbasa
- Squash Gnocchi with Sage Butter
- Slow Cooker Butternut Squash and Apples
- Hidden Veggie Sloppy Joe Sliders
Hey, you might be interested in these products!