Make your own filling for chocolates! These sweet and creamy Strawberry Cream Truffles are very easy to make and the kids absolutely love them. All you need are a few ingredients, your microwave, and your refrigerator!
👩🏻🍳 Easy Filling for Chocolates
Who can resist a good truffle? Today I am sharing a quick and easy recipe for making a strawberry cream filling for chocolate truffles, just in time for the holidays! These sweet and creamy treats are perfect for gift giving and the kids absolutely love them.
And the best part is that the recipe only requires a few ingredients, a microwave, and a refrigerator. You can easily make a double or triple batch for holiday celebrations.
But don't limit yourself to just the holidays. These are so easy they can be made anytime for a quick yet decadent dessert. And they can be customized to fit any holiday or special occasion!
For another great truffle recipe, you've got to try these Pumpkin Truffles!
🥘 Ingredients Needed
- strawberry cream cheese - forms the base of this filling for chocolates.
- strawberry extract - helps accentuate the flavor of the cream cheese.
- white chocolate chips - adds extra creaminess to the filling.
- semi-sweet chocolate chips - melt them down to make the exterior chocolate coating.
- red candy melts - these are optional and just for drizzling over the finished product!
- Mix the cream cheese in a bowl with a hand mixer until smooth, and then add the strawberry extract and thoroughly combine.
- In the microwave, melt the white chocolate chips on 50% power for 1 minute, then stir. Add time in 15-30 second intervals until the chocolate is melted, then add into the cream cheese mixture.
- Stir the white chocolate and cream cheese mixture until well combined.
- Using a small cookie scoop, scoop the mixture onto a wax paper lined tray and refrigerate the truffle balls for at least an hour.
- Melt the semi-sweet chocolate chips just like you did the white chocolate, then dip the truffle balls in and place back on the wax paper. Refrigerate until hardened.
Stored properly in an airtight container, your truffles will be good for 2 weeks or so in the fridge.
You could eat these truffles right out of the fridge, but they'll actually taste best if you allow them to come up to room temperature!
💭 Top Tips
- It can be tricky to find strawberry extract, so you can substitute something citrus flavored if needed. The strawberry cream cheese will help hold the strawberry flavor anyway!
- If you have a double boiler this is a great way to melt chocolate chips and candy melts, but using the microwave is really handy as long as you're careful.
- Here's a great way to keep the chocolate melty while you're rolling your truffles: Make sure you melt the chocolate in a bowl that will fit inside a larger bowl. Fill the larger one up about a third of the way with hot water, then place the bowl with the chocolate inside so the bottom is covered. If you do this, test it out first to make sure you don't have so much water that it spills over.
- If you change up the color of the candy melts you use to drizzle or add some sprinkles or other toppings, you can make these truffles fit any holiday or theme!
- If you decide to go ahead with a decorative candy melt drizzle, an easy way to do this is to melt the red candy melts in the microwave (or whatever color you like - follow the package directions), then spoon it into a sturdy plastic bag (the quality bags with more substance work better than the inexpensive, flimsy bags.) Cut a small hole in one of the bottom corners and then squeeze the bag to drizzle the melted candy. It's a good idea to practice on a plate or piece of wax paper to get the hang of how much pressure gives you the best result.
- There are so many options for different toppings that can change these truffles entirely! Dust with some powdered sugar, sprinkle with crushed walnuts or peanuts, or even grate on a little bit of lemon or orange zest for a citrus-y burst of flavor!
- If you want to make a different flavor entirely, use plain cream cheese and an extract of your choice. Lemon and orange would be delicious, as well as something more simple like vanilla or something a bit fancier like hazelnut.
🍮 Additional Dessert Recipes
If this filling for chocolates has you craving even more sweets, check out these great recipes!
Strawberry Cream Filling for Chocolates
Love this recipe? Awesome! Please give it a 5 star ⭐ rating below! And if you make this, snap a photo and tag me on Instagram. You can find me at DizzyBusyandHungry or #dizzybusyandhungry!
📋 Recipe Card
Strawberry Cream Truffles
- 1 (8 ounce) package strawberry cream cheese (regular or whipped)
- ½ teaspoon strawberry extract
- 1 (12 ounce) package white chocolate chips
- 1 (12 ounce) package semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 6 ounces candy melts for drizzle decoration (optional)
- Place the cream cheese in a bowl and mix with a hand mixer on high for about a minute (not necessary if you buy already whipped version). Add the strawberry extract and mix until thoroughly combined.1 (8 ounce) package strawberry cream cheese, ½ teaspoon strawberry extract
- Melt the white chocolate chips in the microwave on 50% power. Start with 1 minute, then stir, then microwave for an additional 15-30 seconds at a time until completely melted and smooth.1 (12 ounce) package white chocolate chips
- Add the white chocolate to the cream cheese and mix until combined.
- Scoop the mixture with a spoon or a small cookie scoop and drop the balls onto wax paper. (The mixture will be very sticky so the cookie scoop is handy since the trigger helps to release it onto the wax paper.) Refrigerate until the truffle balls become firm, at least 1 hour.
- Melt the semi-sweet chocolate chips, using the same method as above. Remove the truffle balls from the refrigerator, dip in the melted chocolate, and place back on the wax paper.1 (12 ounce) package semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Refrigerate until hardened.
- Optional step: If desired, melt the candy melts in the microwave according to package directions, then drizzle over the chocolate covered truffles for a festive treat!6 ounces candy melts for drizzle decoration
- Strawberry extract can be tough to find. You can substitute another citrus-y extract if needed, as the strawberry cream cheese helps to keep the strawberry flavor.
- A double boiler can be handy for melting the chocolate chips, however the microwave method works well, just be careful not to overdo it!
- PRO TIP to keep the semi-sweet chocolate melty enough while you dip the cream cheese balls: Melt the chocolate in a bowl that you know nests into a slightly larger bowl. Fill the larger bowl about ⅓ of the way with hot water. Then, after you've melted the semi-sweet morsels in the microwave, place the bowl into the larger bowl so that the hot water surrounds the bottom. (It might be good to test this out quickly ahead of time to make sure you don't have so much water that it spills over the side of the bowl into the melted chocolate.)
- Change up the colors of the drizzle or even add sprinkles to fit any holiday or special occasion!
- Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator.
Nutritional information is an estimate. The nutritional values for your final dish may vary based on measuring differences and products used.
Update Notes: This post was originally published in February 2014, but was republished with tips, step by step photos, and a recipe change in November 2020.
Thanks so much for reading! I also invite you to follow me on FACEBOOK, PINTEREST, or INSTAGRAM to keep up with what's going on in my kitchen.
And you might want to check out my Dizzy Busy and Hungry store on Amazon for a whole bunch of great kitchen products I love!
do they need to refrigerated after they are done or can they stay at room temp?
Yes, Sherry, these should be stored in the refrigerator. Good question! I have added that into the notes of the recipe card. Thanks!
Oh yum! My kids will have such fun making these truffles. That strawberry cream filling sounds absolutely incredible.
Thanks, Tara. Enjoy!!
These sound so delicious, I can't wait to try them!
I hope you love them as much as we do, Amy! 🙂
These are so pretty! I have the extra and candy melts on their way to me right now and I CANNOT wait to make these!
Fabulous! Have fun!!
Oh wow, this looks amazing!! I am saving this recipe for Valentine's Day. Thank you so much for the recipe 🙂
Sure thing! Yes, they are perfect for Valentine's Day, and actually for any holiday if you change up the color of the candy melts you drizzle on top! 🙂
We love trying new truffles recipes every Christmas! Thanks for this awesome recipe! So excited to make it.
You're welcome! Enjoy!
What a unique cheesecake idea. Like the strawberry touch!
Happy Valentine's Day Kristin ! Sharing and Pinning.
Thanks for sharing at Fiesta Friday.