Avocado grilled cheese is absolutely the best air fryer grilled cheese! You can also make it in your oven. Combine the nutty, creamy avocado with melty cheesiness for the ultimate lunch or dinner. Your family will fall in love with this super easy recipe!
👩🏻🍳 Why You'll Love This Recipe
If you like avocado, you will LOVE avocado grilled cheese.
It's loaded with creamy avocado and melty cheese, and combined with the crispy crunch of the grilled bread you can count on this sandwich to be absolutely delightful!
And you only need 5 ingredients (you could even get away with 4 if you want!). It's super easy to prep and cooks in 9 minutes in the airy fryer! (Oven instructions included as well for those who prefer that method.)
It's perfect for a hearty lunch or a quick and easy dinner. Honestly, I would eat it for breakfast, too. (Maybe justify it as an amped up avocado toast?? haha!)
The avocado not only adds yummy flavor and texture, but it also adds some great nutrients that you wouldn't get in a regular grilled cheese sandwich!
Lastly, the thing I love about grilled cheese in general is that it's SOOO easy to be creative. Just take a look at my Brie Grilled Cheese with Turkey and my Zingy Shrimp Grilled Cheese. They are absolute family favorites! You can also view ALL my grilled cheese recipes!
🥘 Ingredients Needed
For a complete list of ingredients, please refer to the recipe card at the bottom of this post.
- avocados - these are really the star of the dish! Avocados that have just ripened are the best. See below for more avocado tips!
- bread - can't have a grilled cheese sandwich without the bread!
- roasted red peppers - these add a little extra texture, flavor, color, and nutrition. These are not essential to the recipe but contribute a nice dimension to the sandwich.
- cheese - gotta have the cheese! I like to use a slice of mozzarella and a slice of pepper jack on each sandwich. But any melty cheese will do!
- butter - helps the bread get crispy and super yummy.
Please note: This is an overview of the instructions. You'll find the complete instructions in the recipe card at the bottom of this post.
- Mash your avocado and mix in chopped red pepper (if using).
- Butter one side of 4 pieces of bread, then place them in a single layer in your air fryer basket. (If your air fryer is smaller you may have to do this in batches).
- Cover the bread with a slice of cheese.
- Spread the avocado over top of the cheese, then top with more cheese.
- Top the sandwiches with the remaining bread, butter side up.
- Air fry the sandwiches for 6 minutes at 400 F, then flip them and fry for another 3 minutes or so.
Absolutely! The salty cheesiness pairs fantastically with the creamier and nuttier flavor of the avocado for a delicious and hearty sandwich.
One way is to add some avocado and red peppers like with this recipe. You could also use multiple kinds of cheese for more flavor variety, or sprinkle some seasonings over the filling before cooking. If you're looking for more grilled cheese ideas, look down below in this post!
Mozzarella and pepper jack are what's recommended for this particular version, but cheddar, American, or provolone would also be great in grilled cheese! Try mixing and matching for some fun flavor combinations as well.
When it's good and ripe, your avocado will have a darker color and will yield to gentle pressure if you squeeze it, but it won't feel too mushy or soft.
Because most store bought mayo has a higher smoking point than butter, it allows you to cook the grilled cheese at a higher heat for a crispier outside and softer inside. If you're more interested in the texture, mayo is the way to go, but the flavor of the butter can also add a lot to your grilled cheese. Try it out with both and see which you prefer!
Light mayo will prevent the bread from crisping up as it has less fat content, so I recommend using regular mayo. A thin layer should do you fine!
Using mayo instead of butter will make it harder to burn your grilled cheese. Be sure not to cook them too hot; lower and slower is best to ensure that the cheese gets melty at the same rate as the bread crisping up.
To store leftover grilled cheese, allow them to cool completely then wrap them in plastic or store them in an airtight container. Reheating them in the microwave isn't recommend as it typically makes them soggy, so pop them in the oven at 350 F or so and heat until crispy and melty again.
Grilled cheese can also be frozen and then defrosted and reheated later, which makes them a perfect make-ahead lunch for days when you're on the go and in need of something quick but filling.
💭 Helpful Tips for the Best Avocado Grilled Cheese
- It can be easier to use a buttery spread instead of actual butter (think something like Brummel and Brown or margarine).
- You could also use classic butter and soften it before spreading. To do this quickly, microwave some water in a bowl until it's hot, then pour out the water and place the hot bowl over the butter for 5-10 minutes.
- Using jarred red peppers can introduce extra liquid into your sandwiches; give them a squeeze with a fork to remove some of this liquid and prevent soggy grilled cheeses.
- If your avocado isn't quite ripe enough it can be hard to mash. You may want to use a food processor in this case.
- To speed up the ripening process for avocados, place them in a paper bag with an apple or banana for a day or two.
This air fryer grilled cheese with avocado is a delicious, filling recipe with some great added nutrients from the avocado. Easily your new favorite grilled sandwich!
- Try different kinds of cheese: mozzarella or cheddar would also taste great with your avocado grilled cheese!
- The red peppers in this recipe are optional, so if you're not a fan or want the avocado flavor to be more emphasized, go ahead and leave them out!
- Add a slice of tomato for an extra burst of freshness and flavor.
- Looking to add even more nutrients? Throw some spinach over your avocado mixture before air frying.
- For an even sturdier sandwich, use a bread like sourdough or an artisan loaf.
🥗 Suggested Side Dishes
Try one of these simply tasty sides to serve with your air fryer grilled cheese!
🍞 More Grilled Cheese Recipes
If this avocado grilled cheese has you craving more gourmet, melty sandwiches, why not give one of these a try?
Air Fryer Grilled Cheese
Love this recipe? Awesome! Please give it a 5 star ⭐ rating below! And if you make this, snap a photo and tag me on Instagram. You can find me at DizzyBusyandHungry or #dizzybusyandhungry!
📋 Recipe Card
Air Fryer Avocado Grilled Cheese
- 2 medium avocados
- 2 roasted red peppers, chopped (from a jar)
- 4 tablespoons butter or buttery spread
- 8 slices bread
- 4-8 slices cheese (pepper jack, mozzarella, or other melty cheese)
- Mash the avocado and mix in the chopped roasted red peppers.2 medium avocados, 2 roasted red peppers, chopped
- Butter one side of each slice of bread. Place 4 slices buttered side down in the air fryer basket. (Don't overcrowd the basket - if yours is small you many need to cook these in 2 batches.)4 tablespoons butter or buttery spread, 8 slices bread
- Place a slice of cheese on the bread (optional step if you are using 8 slices of cheese).4-8 slices cheese
- Distribute the avocado mixture on each piece of bread then place a slice of cheese on top.
- Top the cheese with the remaining pieces of bread, buttered side up.
- Preheat the air fryer to 400 F. Air fry for 6 minutes, then flip the sandwiches and air fry for another 3 minutes. (Time may vary due to differences in air fryers.)
- You can also use a buttery spread or margarine, which is easier to spread than butter.
- To soften butter quickly, microwave a bowl of water then dump the water and place the bowl over the butter.
- Use a fork to squeeze excess liquid out of jarred red peppers to prevent soggy sandwiches.
- An unripe avocado can be hard to hand mash; use a food processor instead.
- To ripen an avocado more quickly, place it in a paper bag with an apple or banana.
- No air fryer? No problem! Cook these on the stovetop (place on a griddle or large skillet and cook over medium-high heat on each side until brown and crispy) or in the oven (preheat oven to 450 degrees F, place the sandwiches on a baking sheet and bake 7 minutes, then flip and bake another 6-7 minutes).
Nutritional information is an estimate. The nutritional values for your final dish may vary based on measuring differences and products used.
Check out my Dizzy Busy and Hungry store on Amazon for a whole bunch of great kitchen products I love!