This Chili Cheese Grilled Sandwich is a great way to use up leftover chili. Sure, it’s a little messy, but your family will love it so much no one will mind. The crispy, buttery, grilled bread combined with the melty, gooey, cheesy filling results in the ultimate grilled cheese sandwich! Use your favorite homemade chili recipe or even use store-bought chili for a quick and easy but hearty weeknight dinner your family will request again and again.
Busy weeknight? No time to cook? Try grilled sandwiches instead of resorting to fast food or take out!
Grilled cheese is one of my go-to dinners during the week. Everyone loves it, and it is quick and easy, and doesn’t require a lot of brain power. The ingredient list is short, and generally involves items I already have in the house.
But, it is so simple that it can get a little old after a while. Luckily, grilled sandwiches are so versatile, there are probably hundreds of varieties you can think up!
And, in reality, you don’t even need to include cheese. There are lots of ways you can combine ingredients into a sandwich and grill it up warm and crispy. For example, I have a grilled sandwich recipe that my family loves that has no cheese in it whatsoever! Check out my recipe for my Mom’s Grilled Sauerkraut Avocado Sandwich. (Really! You have to try it!)
But, I have to admit, even though the whole family like those Grilled Sauerkraut Avocado Sandwiches, given the choice they will go for something that does have cheese. Which is understandable! Cheese just gets so yummy and melty on grilled sandwiches.
I was inspired to make this Chili Cheese Grilled Sandwich recipe when I had a bunch of leftover Crockpot Cheater Chili (I had made a double batch to feed a crowd, but several people were not able to come at the last minute), and I was looking for a way to use the leftover chili by changing it up a little.
So I thought, why not make it into something like a cross between a grilled cheese sandwich and a sloppy Joe. And voila, this grilled sandwich with a chili cheese filling came to be, and the family raved over them!
Steps for making Chili Cheese Grilled Sandwiches
In a medium bowl, combine the chili and shredded cheddar cheese. Set aside.
Butter one side of the bread, and place the slices face down on a baking sheet.
Distribute the chili and cheese mixture over the slices on the baking sheet.
Place the remaining slices of bread on top of the chili and cheese mixture.
Tips for making Chili Cheese Grilled Sandwiches
- You can use leftover chili, or make your own, or even use store-bought chili.
- This works with all different varieties of chili! Meatless, chicken chili, etc. Different varieties give this dish a different spin, but they are all delicious!
- Use parchment paper on the baking sheet for easy cleanup. The filling does tend to ooze out while baking.
- Ovens can be fairly different, so be sure to check often the first time you make this so you don’t accidentally burn your sandwiches!
- You can also grill your sandwich on a griddle, or saute pan, or stovetop grill pan. Wherever you would normally make grilled cheese sandwiches will be fine. Just remember that the filling may get a little messy!
You may need…
The following are affiliate links. We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites. Thanks so much for being a part of Dizzy Busy and Hungry!
Check out my Dizzy Busy and Hungry store on Amazon for other great kitchen products I love!
Chili Cheese Grilled Sandwich Recipe
Serve hot off the grill with sour cream and parsley for garnish. Or dig in without any of that! It will be delicious either way.
If you love this recipe, please give it 5 stars! Enjoy!
Chili Cheese Grilled SandwichesPrint Recipe
- 1 cup chili
- 1 and 1/2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 8 slices bread
- 4 tablespoons butter
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees F.
- In a medium bowl, combine the chili and shredded cheddar. Set aside.
- Butter one side of each of the 8 slices of bread. Place 4 of the slices buttered side down on baking sheet.
- Distribute the chili and cheese mixture over the 4 slices of bread.
- Place the remaining 4 slices of bread on top of the chili and cheese mixture, buttered side up.
- Bake in the oven 5-6 minutes, then flip the sandwiches and bake about 5 more minutes, until the sandwiches are golden brown and crispy.
- I love to use this recipe with leftover homemade chili, but you can also use store bought. Any kind of chili will work, even meatless or chicken chili.
- The chili cheese filling tends to get melty and ooze out of the sandwich during baking, so you may want to line the baking sheet with parchment paper for easy cleanup.
- If you haven't made grilled cheese in your oven before, make sure you check it after 3-4 minutes in case your oven runs hotter than mine to avoid burning.
- You can use a skillet or griddle to grill your sandwiches if you prefer.
You may also be interested in my other grilled cheese recipes…
This Turkey and Brie Grilled Cheese features creamy brie, roasted turkey breast, and a cranberry spread stuffed between two pieces of sourdough bread and grilled until crispy. So delicious!
And this Parmesan Crusted Grilled Chicken and Cheese is another upscaled grilled cheese sandwich with Parmesan crusted bread stuffed with chicken, cheese, and green olives!
Looking for some additional grilled sandwich recipes?
What is the most creative grilled sandwich you have tasted? Leave a comment and let me know what you think!
Note: This post has been shared at THESE link parties!
Want to keep up with the latest yummy recipes on DBH?