Slow Cooker Chicken Cacciatore is super simple to make – only 10 minutes of prep for a delicious and nutritious family meal! Just throw all the ingredients together in the morning and dinner is ready for you at the end of the day. This recipe is chock full of vegetables, but you won’t have to lift a finger to chop any of them!
This is why my slow cooker is my favorite appliance. I can let my crock pot do the heavy lifting, so all I have to do is throw a few ingredients together in the morning, then look forward to a tasty, filling meal to cap off my busy day.
The key to this meal is to take advantage of some of the frozen vegetable blends out there. For this kind of dish, frozen is just as good as fresh, and not only does it eliminate the chopping chore, but it also makes it easy to keep the veggies on hand to use whenever.
That second part is important for me, because I find that I sometimes need to shift my meal plan around as the week progresses, and with frozen veggies I don’t have to worry that rescheduling this meal for a couple of days later will result in wilted or spoiled produce. (Note that I also freeze my chicken, and then just thaw it in the fridge the night before making this.)
It is a little tough to find frozen mushrooms, but I don’t mind buying those fresh. I confess that I do buy them pre-sliced, though! I need to use shortcuts wherever I can!
If you like to make chicken in the crock pot, you won’t want to miss this Crock Pot Guinness Chicken Stew recipe. It’s super easy and delicious, and a great alternative to the traditional Irish beef stew!
Slow Cooker Chicken Cacciatore
Serve over pasta or rice along with a side salad for a healthy, hearty supper.
If you love this recipe, please give it 5 stars! Enjoy!
Slow Cooker Chicken CacciatorePrint Recipe
- 24 ounces marinara sauce (2 jars)
- 14 ounces frozen bell pepper and onion strips (1 package)
- 16 ounces yellow and green sliced squash (1 package)
- 8 ounces sliced mushrooms (fresh)
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic
- 1/2 tablespoon red pepper flakes (use more if you like spicy food)
- 2-3 pounds boneless skinless chicken thighs (or breasts, if you prefer)
- Lightly spray the inside of the crock pot with cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, combine the marinara, frozen peppers and onions, frozen squash, mushrooms, garlic, and red pepper flakes.
- Place the chicken in the crock pot.
- Pour the marinara mixture over the chicken.
- Cook on low for 6-8 hours.
- Serve over pasta or rice.