Does 10 minutes of prep resulting in a nutritious, hearty, home-cooked meal sound like your kind of recipe? If so, then you need to try this Slow Cooker Chicken Cacciatore!
Let your crock pot do the heavy lifting, all you have to do is throw a few ingredients together in the morning, then look forward to a tasty, filling meal to cap off your busy day.
The key to this meal is to take advantage of some of the frozen vegetable blends out there. For this kind of dish, frozen is just as good as fresh, and not only does it eliminate the chopping chore, but it also makes it easy to keep the veggies on hand to use whenever.
That second part is important for me, because I find that I sometimes need to shift my meal plan around as the week progresses, and with frozen veggies I don’t have to worry that rescheduling this meal for a couple of days later will result in wilted or spoiled produce. (Note that I also freeze my chicken, and then just thaw it in the fridge the night before making this.)
It is a little tough to find frozen mushrooms, but I don’t mind buying those fresh. I confess that I do buy them pre-sliced, though! I need to use shortcuts wherever I can!
Slow Cooker Chicken Cacciatore
- 24 ounces marinara sauce (2 jars)
- 14 ounces frozen bell pepper and onion strips (1 package)
- 16 ounces yellow and green sliced squash (1 package)
- 8 ounces sliced mushrooms (fresh)
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic
- 1/2 tablespoon red pepper flakes (use more if you like spicy food)
- 2-3 pounds boneless skinless chicken thighs (or breasts, if you prefer)
- Lightly spray the inside of the crock pot with cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, combine the marinara, frozen peppers and onions, frozen squash, mushrooms, garlic, and red pepper flakes.
- Place the chicken in the crock pot.
- Pour the marinara mixture over the chicken.
- Cook on low for 6-8 hours.
- Serve over pasta or rice.
Note: This post has been shared at THESE link parties!
Want to keep up with the latest yummy recipes on DBH?
Sign up to receive new recipes in your inbox (only 1 email per week)!