Brie Grilled Cheese and Turkey is a unique sandwich with creamy brie, roasted turkey breast, and cranberry spread, stuffed between two pieces of sourdough bread and grilled until crispy - heavenly! You've got to try this amazing grilled cheese flavor combination!
Update Notes: This post was originally published in July 2014, but was republished with tips, step by step photos, and a recipe change in November 2019.
Brie Grilled Cheese Sandwich
Grilled cheese is definitely a favorite in my house. How can you not like toasty, crunchy, cheesy hand-held sammies?
I love finding new and delicious ways to make grilled cheese. Varying the type of cheese,
This grilled cheese idea started from a lunch with a friend at a cozy restaurant in a small town near me. She and I used to work together, and recently she made the move to another company.
She is really one of the sweetest people I know, and so fun to hang out with! So we are trying to meet for lunch every so often just to stay in touch.
Which is great because she knows of all these great little restaurants in her town which are new to me. This sandwich is inspired from one of our visits!
Grilled Brie Cheese Sandwich
What makes a great sandwich?
I have a ton of sandwiches on the blog and there are some things that really make a difference when it comes to building the best sandwich!
- Add the spread from crust to crust. Especially when grilling! The soft buttery spread on the surface of the bread will ensure golden crusty deliciousness!
- Using the right bread - the bread will flavor the meal, be sure to use the appropriate slice.
- Choosing high-quality ingredients. Cheap cheese, while saving a buck will be greasy and will make your grilled cheese soggy.
- Speaking of soggy... don't scrimp on your grilling time - ensure each side is crispy and golden brown.
Ingredients for Brie Grilled Cheese
- whole cranberry sauce, mayonnaise, lemon juice and salt - combine to make a wonderful spread for this rich sandwich
- turkey breast - use sliced turkey breast or leftover turkey (the holidays are right around the corner!)
- brie cheese - tangy and pungent this soft cheese is perfect for a grilled cheese sandwich!
- sourdough bread - grills up so well, it's the best choice for these flavors.
- butter - spread the bread crust-to-crust to ensure the sandwich is crispy and not soggy!
This combination of flavors is perfect! And it makes the BEST grilled cheese sandwich. If you like brie, you have to give this sandwich a try!
It is super-easy to make, with sourdough bread, brie, turkey, and an easy cranberry mayonnaise spread.
How to make Brie Grilled Cheese
Step 1.Place the cranberry sauce, mayo, lemon juice, and salt into a small bowl.
Step 2.Mix well and set aside.
Step 3.Butter one side of 4 slices of bread, place them butter side down on a baking sheet, and layer the turkey and brie slices.
Step 4.On each of the other 4 slices, spread the cranberry mayo on one side.
Step 5.Place the bread, cranberry spread side down, on top of the turkey and cheese, butter the tops of the sandwiches, then bake!
Variations for brie grilled cheese recipe
No roast turkey?
No problem, you can substitute with chicken! Using leftover slow cooker chicken would be delicious!
This is a perfect upscaled sandwich to serve if you are having guests over for lunch!
What can I substitute for Brie cheese?
Not everyone is a fan of brie, it is a strong flavor. If you decide to substitute, cream cheese would be a good choice, it has a super mild flavor. Goat cheese is another option, it's quite pungent.
Both cheeses would be delicious, but of
Do I need to remove the rind of the Brie cheese?
No, you don't need to remove the rind. Brie rind is absolutely edible, and in fact many people enjoy the texture and flavor of it.
Change up this sandwich!
You can easily change up this sandwich with a few tasty editions:
- add some crispy bacon - for
a brieand bacon grilled cheese
- thinly sliced apples for grilled cheese with brie and apples
Don't these sound delicious?!!!
A quick couple of notes on this recipe:
- I used cranberry sauce with whole cranberries and then pulsed it a couple of
timein the food processor to get them in smaller pieces, to maximize my chances of the kids liking this sandwich (it worked!). You can adjust this according to your taste. Leave the pieces whole! Or use jelliedsauce for no pieces at all! The world is your oyster on this one.
- I usually try to make my recipes as healthy as possible. I didn't really try on this one (as you can tell by looking at the stats!). I just wanted that flavor combo again! You could certainly try a healthier version of this, maybe by using whole grain bread, cutting back on the brie, scaling down the cranberry mayonnaise spread, and whatever else you can think of to reduce fat and calories and maximize nutrition.
- This is a GREAT recipe for leftover holiday turkey!
How the Brie Grilled Sandwich stacked up!
Thing 1 loved this, DH loved it, and it goes without saying that I loved it too! However, Thing 2 is always my litmus test as to whether something like this is family-friendly.
Good news! He liked it, although was not a huge fan of the cranberry mayonnaise. That said, the kid ate it without any other comments, so in my book that spells success!
More great sandwiches from the blog!
Sandwiches are life, right? At least they are on busy weeknights! I never want to feel like I'm just tossing something on a plate though, feeding good nutritious food is a priority! Here are some of my favorites:
What to serve with this sandwich
If you're looking to take this meal a step further, here are some great recipes that would be delicious with this brie grilled sandwich!
Brie Grilled Cheese
This post may contain affiliate links which won’t change your price but will share some commission.
Love this recipe? Awesome! Please give it a 5 star rating below! And if you make this, snap a photo and tag me on Instagram. You can find me at DizzyBusyandHungry or #dizzybusyandhungry!
Turkey and Brie Grilled CheesePrint Recipe
Cranberry Mayonnaise Spread:
- 1/3 cup whole cranberry sauce
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise (can use light or fat-free)
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 12-16 slices leftover turkey (or leftover chicken or deli oven-roasted turkey or chicken slices)
- 8 ounces brie (1 package, cut into 1/4 inch thick slices)
- 8 slices sourdough bread
- buttery spread or butter
- Preheat the oven to 450 degree F (230 degrees C).
- Combine the cranberry sauce, mayonnaise, lemon juice, and salt in a small bowl. Set aside.
- Butter one side of 4 slices of bread with the butter. Place them butter side down on a baking sheet.
- Distribute the turkey across the 4 slices, then distribute the brie.
- Spread the cranberry mayonnaise spread on one side of the remaining 4 slices of bread, place them on top of the brie, then butter the tops.
- Bake in the oven for 6-8 minutes, then flip the sandwiches and bake about 6 minutes more, until the sandwiches are golden brown and crispy. (Alternatively, you can grill them on the stove top on a griddle or in a skillet).
- Spread butter from crust to crust. This will ensure the maximum golden crusty deliciousness.
- Sourdough bread is really the tastiest bread to use in this recipe, but you can use any type of bread.
- Pulse the cranberry sauce a couple of times in a food processor if you want a smoother cranberry-mayo spread.
- You can also use jellied cranberry sauce for a smoother cranberry-mayo spread.
- Substitute cream cheese or goat cheese if you don't like brie.
- Make this any time of year with leftover roasted chicken, or use deli slices of turkey breast or chicken breast!
Check out my Dizzy Busy and Hungry store on Amazon for a whole bunch of great kitchen products I love!