You’ve got to try this amazing grilled cheese flavor combination! Creamy brie, roasted turkey breast, and a cranberry spread stuffed between two pieces of sourdough bread and grilled until crispy.
Grilled cheese is definitely a favorite in my house. How can you not like toasty, crunchy, cheesy hand-held sammies? I love finding new and delicious ways to make grilled cheese, from varying the type of cheese, to incorporating meats or vegetables, and even adding spreads or other condiments.
This grilled cheese idea started from a lunch with a friend at a cozy restaurant in a small town near me. She and I used to work together, and recently she made the move to another company. But we had really clicked over the last couple of years, supporting each other in a very challenging corporate environment, and we both want to try to maintain that connection even though we don’t work together anymore.
She is really one of the sweetest people I know, and so fun to hang out with! So we are trying to meet for lunch every so often just to stay in touch, which is great because she knows of all these great little restaurants in her town which are new to me. (Waving hello to you, K! Hugs!)
This particular little restaurant was super-cute, with a really interesting menu. The item that inspired my grilled cheese was not actually a grilled sandwich, although the brie was warmed before placing it in the sandwich and the bread was toasted.
But the combination of flavors was so perfect, I just knew it would be great as a grilled cheese sandwich too. If you like brie, you have to give this sandwich a try! It is super-easy to make, with sourdough bread, brie, turkey, and an easy cranberry mayonnaise spread.
This is a perfect upscaled sandwich to serve if you are having guests over for lunch!
A quick couple of notes on this recipe:
- I used cranberry sauce with whole cranberries and then pulsed it a couple of time in the food processor to get them in smaller pieces, to maximize my chances of the kids liking this sandwich (it worked!). You can adjust this according to your taste. Leave the pieces whole! Or use jellied sauce for no pieces at all! The world is your oyster on this one.
- I usually try to make my recipes as healthy as possible. I didn’t really try on this one (as you can tell by looking at the stats!). I just wanted that flavor combo again! You could certainly try a healthier version of this, maybe by using whole grain bread, cutting back on the brie, scaling down the cranberry mayonnaise spread, and whatever else you can think of to reduce fat and calories and maximize nutrition.
- This is a GREAT recipe for leftover holiday turkey!
- Thing 1 loved this, DH loved it, and it goes without saying that I loved it. However, Thing 2 is always my litmus test as to whether something like this is family-friendly. Good news! He liked it, although was not a huge fan of the cranberry mayonnaise. That said, the kid ate it without any other comments, so in my book that spells success! I did not ask him to rate it, but I imagine if he did, he would give it 3 biscuits out of 5.
This post may contain affiliate links which won’t change your price but will share some commission.
Turkey and Brie Grilled CheesePrint Recipe
Cranberry Mayonnaise Spread:
- 1/3 cup whole cranberry sauce (pulse lightly in a food processor if you would like your cranberry pieces a little smaller)
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise (can use light or fat-free)
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 12-16 slices oven-roasted turkey breast (or leftover turkey)
- 8 ounces brie (1 package, cut into 1/4 inch thick slices)
- 8 slices sourdough bread
- buttery spread or butter
- Preheat the oven to 450 degree F (230 degrees C).
- Combine the cranberry sauce, mayonnaise, lemon juice, and salt in a small bowl. Set aside.
- Butter one side of each of the 8 slices of bread with the butter..
- Place 4 of the slices butter side down on a baking sheet.
- Distribute the turkey across the 6 slices, then distribute the brie.
- Spread the cranberry mayonnaise spread on the non-buttered side of the remaining 4 slices of bread, then place them on top of the brie, buttered side up.
- Bake in the oven for 6-8 minutes, then flip the sandwiches and bake about 6 minutes more, until the sandwiches are golden brown and crispy. (Alternatively, you can grill them on the stove top on a griddle or in a skillet).
Hey there, you might be interested in these products!