Mom's recipes are always the best! Check out this amazing sandwich featuring crunchy, tangy sauerkraut with creamy avocado and hummus, stuffed between two slices of pumpernickel bread, and grilled until hot and crispy!
This week on Dizzy Busy and Hungry I am celebrating MY MOM, in appreciation of all the wonderful nourishment she has provided for my siblings and me while we were growing up.
Today I will be sharing a new recipe that she recently developed as part of her new vegan diet, and later this week I will be sharing a recipe for an amazing cake that made a regular appearance at our table during my childhood. (Stay tuned, you don't want to miss it, it is super easy to make!)
Here is a picture of my mom and me:
Isn't she beautiful? I can't even quantify all the hours she has spent planning, shopping, cooking, and serving meals for us over the years, from the every day meals to the holiday feasts, she has always done her very best to feed us nutritious, delicious food. She did and continues to do an awesome job. And now she has introduced me to this fantastic grilled sandwich! You rock, Mom!
In all honesty, initially I wasn't sure I was going to like this sandwich, but my mother raved about it, so I decided to try it. She has been experimenting with all sorts of new recipes since changing to a vegan diet. However you don't have to be a vegan to appreciate all the great tastes going on in here!
I fell in love with the play of the distinctive pumpernickel taste with the milder but garlicky hummus and the crunchy, tangy sauerkraut with the creamy avocado. I was surprised at how well all the flavors worked together!
I now realize that I need this sandwich in my life, and you will too! So try it! 🙂
This post may contain affiliate links which won’t change your price but will share some commission.
Grilled Sauerkraut Avocado Sandwich
If you love this recipe, please give it 5 stars!
Mom's Grilled Sauerkraut Avocado SandwichPrint Recipe
- 8 slices pumpernickel bread
- vegan buttery spread (or regular butter)
- 1 cup hummus (roasted garlic flavor, divided)
- 1 cup sauerkraut (drained, lightly rinsed, and liquid squeezed out)
- 1 avocado (peeled and sliced lengthwise into about 16 pieces (you can leave out this ingredient if you want to lower the fat content of the sandwich, and it will still be really delicious!))
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees F (230 degrees C).
- Spread butter on one side of each of the 8 slices of bread, and place 4 of them them butter side down on a baking sheet.
- Take about half of the hummus and distribute over the 4 slices of bread.
- Distribute the sauerkraut over the hummus on each slice.
- Distribute the avocado slices over the sauerkraut.
- For the remaining 4 slices of bread, spread hummus on the side without butter and place hummus side down on the avocado slices.
- Bake in the oven for 6-8 minutes, then flip the sandwiches and bake about 6 minutes more, until the sandwiches are golden brown and crispy. (Alternatively, you can grill them on the stove top on a griddle or in a skillet).
Don't forget to check back later this week for another recipe from my mom!
Thanks for stopping by. Before you go, you might be interested in these products!
And check out my Dizzy Busy and Hungry store on Amazon for some great kitchen products I love!