Love shrimp, love grilled cheese, let’s put ’em together! That is basically how this recipe came to me. 😉
Those of you that have a picky eater in the house may relate to this…since I have a limited selection of ingredients that my picky eater likes, I like to try combining them in all sorts of ways to get a little variety going.
Don’t get me wrong, my philosophy is actually NOT to cater to my picky eater on a regular basis, but every so often I like to try to serve something he really likes, just because he is my kid and I love to see his eyes light up when he hears the dinner plans. He likes shrimp, he loves cheese, and he LOVES bread, so combining them was a natural progression.
And shrimp is a good source of lean protein!
— A 3-ounce serving of four large shrimp weighs in at less than 85 calories, 1 gram of fat and nearly 20 grams of protein.
— Both the U.S. Department of Agriculture and the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services recommend that people consume at least two servings of seafood each week. But, while Americans consume annually more than 80 pounds of beef and 60 pounds of chicken per capita, shrimp – the nation’s most-popular seafood – rings in at a mere 3.8 pounds per individual.*
* Per capita consumption of beef and chicken is courtesy of the USDA and reflects the 2011 calendar year, the most recent complete beef and poultry data available. Per capita consumption of shrimp is courtesy of NOAA and reflects the 2012 calendar year, the most recent complete seafood data available.
Here is a handy summary of different sizes of shrimp. I want to try some of those colossal ones! 🙂
This grilled cheese was a hit with the whole family, including a dinner guest! Thing 1 had a friend over who didn’t mind being included with the rest of the family as a guinea pig for this new recipe. I am pleased to report that he really liked it!
Zingy Shrimp Grilled Cheese
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees F (230 degrees C).
- Heat the olive oil over medium heat in a skillet.
- Add the shrimp, paprika, and Old Bay and cook until the shrimp is pink and cooked. Set aside.
- Butter one side of each of the 12 slices of bread with the buttery spread.
- Place 6 of the slices butter side down on a baking sheet.
- Distribute the spinach across the 6 slices, then distribute the cooked shrimp, then then the shredded cheese.
- Place the remaining 6 slices of bread on top, buttered side up.
- Bake in the oven for 6-8 minutes, then flip the sandwiches and bake about 6 minutes more, until the sandwiches are golden brown and crispy. (Alternatively, you can grill them on the stove top on a griddle or in a skillet).
Nutrition information is approximate. Your results may be different due to different brands/products and measuring differences.
Note: This post has been shared at THESE link parties!
Want to keep up with the latest yummy recipes on DBH?
Sign up to receive new recipes in your inbox (only 1 email per week)!