Flavorful Philly Cheesesteak Egg Rolls are loaded with juicy and tender steak, onion, and bell peppers, then smothered with gooey cheese and air fried to crispy perfection.
These are great to make in a double batch and freeze to make for a quick and convenient appetizer or snack. Enjoy all the flavors of this classic sandwich in an easy, handheld form, perfect for game day, movie night, or parties!
👩🏻🍳 Why You'll Love This Recipe
These flavorful and crispy homemade egg rolls take all of your favorite cheesesteak flavors and transform them into a fried and handheld dish. Great for a filling and substantial appetizer or a fun main course, you'll love the savory and comforting ingredients!
Best of all, these egg rolls are made in the air fryer, which means you can cut down on oil for a slightly healthier take. All you need is a handful of ingredients and under 30 minutes to make this delicious dish.
And if you love fun individual foods like this, you'll also love Wonton Cheeseburger Cups! For my steak lovers, make these Air Fryer Steak Bites.
🥘 Ingredients Needed
- olive oil - ensures your onions and pepper get nice and flavorful.
- onion - a crucial ingredient for an authentic Philly cheesesteak.
- bell pepper - not included in the classic Philly cheesesteak, but this optional ingredient can provide some additional flavor and color.
- garlic - provides some extra depth of flavor.
- Worcestershire sauce - seasons the steak and brings out the savory umami flavors.
- flank steak - a good tender and lean cut of steak that's perfect for these egg rolls.
- salt and pepper - to taste.
- egg roll wraps
- Monterey Jack cheese - provides a mild sharp cheesy flavor as well as a small amount of sweetness.
- Cook onion and bell pepper in oil until soft.
- Add garlic, Worcestershire sauce, steak, salt, and pepper, then heat until meat is cooked through. Drain any liquid and set aside.
- Onto each egg roll wrapper, spoon some of the steak mixture and top with shredded cheese.
- Wet the edges of the egg roll wrapper with your finger and fold two corners into the center.
- Fold over a third corner and roll toward the fourth, then lightly wet and seal.
- Lightly spray with oil and air fry at 380 degrees for 8 minutes, flipping halfway through.
Some classic cheeses used for a Philly cheesesteak are white American and provolone, which provide a good balance of sharpness and mild tanginess. A cheese sauce or cheese whiz are also common toppings for cheesesteaks, as well as Mozzarella or cheddar in combination with some of the above cheeses.
No, spring rolls wrappers are either rice based or, when flour based, tend to be thinner. Egg roll wrappers have been dipped in egg for a thicker and crispier finish when cooked.
Yes, these cheesesteak egg rolls can also be baked. You may need to give them a bit of extra time to brown up and/or bake them at a slightly higher temperature, but as long as you brush them with some oil they should still crisp up in the oven.
Water is the key here; it re-hydrates the wrapper and allows it to stick to itself. The best method to making pleasing egg rolls is to first fold in two corners, then a third, and roll toward the unfolded corner. Dip your fingertips in water in order to get controlled amounts onto the edges of the wrapper and seal without over-moistening.
💭 Expert Tips and Tricks
- Save the drained liquid from cooking the meat for an au jus, which makes an excellent dipping sauce for these egg rolls.
- To make these egg rolls in the oven, preheat to 400 degrees F and cook for 18-20 minutes. Still be sure to flip them halfway through. You may want to use a slightly smaller amount of meat for this method, as the egg rolls are more likely to burst in the oven.
📌 Your cheesesteak egg rolls will be a huge hit, whether you're serving them as a main course or dishing them out as a fun and flavorful appetizer at parties or on game day!
📖 Substitutions and Variations
- For truly authentic Philly cheesesteak flavors, use Provolone and/or white American cheese instead of Monterey Jack.
- Any cut of meat will work for these egg rolls--ribeye is another great option!
- Reduce the amount of olive oil by half to make this recipe a bit lighter.
- Feel free to leave out the green bell pepper if you want truly authentic Philly cheesesteak egg rolls; the classic cheesesteak doesn't include the peppers.
🥫 Storage and Reheating
Store leftovers in the fridge for 3-4 days. To reheat, I recommend popping them back in the air fryer or oven for a few minutes. Egg rolls can also be frozen for a few months.
⏲️ Make Ahead Instructions
It's easy to make a double batch of these cheesesteak egg rolls and freeze half for a quick and easy dinner or appetizer later. Allow them to fully cool after cooking and seal in a zipper freezer bag, then when it's time to reheat, they can either be air fried or baked in the oven until hot again!
💡 What To Serve With This Dish
If you want to serve these cheesesteak egg rolls as an entree, you'll need an equally tasty side to pair them with! Serve them with Roasted Brussels Sprouts, super simple Air Fryer Zucchini Fries, a delicious and comforting Cornbread Casserole, or some crispy Air Fryer Potato Wedges.
🥩 More Beef Recipes You'll Love
- Sous Vide Ribeye Steak - It's actually surprisingly simply to cook using the sous vide method in your own kitchen, and this recipe yields tender and perfect steak every time!
- Irish Braised Corned Beef and Cabbage - A substantial and comforting meal that's great for a weekend meal or Saint Patrick's Day.
- Crock Pot Beef and Broccoli - Healthier and cheaper than Chinese takeout, this easy slow cooker recipe is a must-have for any home cook.
- Philly Cheesesteak Casserole - If you love the flavors of cheesesteak, you also need to try this casserole from Simple Joy
- Low Carb Philly Cheesesteak Casserole - For a delicious low-carb version of this popular flavor combo!
Air Fried Cheesesteak Egg Rolls Recipe
Love this recipe? Awesome! Snap a photo and tag me on Instagram. You can find me at DizzyBusyandHungry or #dizzybusyandhungry!
⭐ Did you make this recipe? Please give it a star rating below! ⭐
📋 Recipe Card
Air Fryer Philly Cheesesteak Egg Rolls
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- ½ white onion, diced
- 1 green bell pepper, diced (optional)
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 pound flank steak, diced (or use your favorite cut)
- pinch salt and pepper (or to taste)
- 8 egg roll wraps
- 1 cup shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- Heat the oil in a skillet over medium high heat. Add the onion and bell pepper (if desired) and saute for 3 to 5 minutes until softened.1 tablespoon olive oil, ½ white onion, diced, 1 green bell pepper, diced
- Add the garlic, Worcestershire sauce, steak, salt, and pepper. Saute until the meat is browned. Drain the liquid and set aside.1 tablespoon minced garlic, 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce, 1 pound flank steak, diced, pinch salt and pepper
- Lay out each egg roll wrapper, and place 2-3 spoonsful of the steak mixture in the enter of the wrapper. Top with about 2 tablespoons of shredded cheese.1 cup shredded Monterey Jack cheese, 8 egg roll wraps
- Lightly wet the edge of the wrapper with water using your finger or a brush. Fold a corner into the center, then do the same with the opposite corner.
- Fold a third corner over the center and then, from the crease, roll the egg roll towards the fourth corner, squeezing out the air as you go. When you reach the exposed corner, lightly wet it and finish rolling to seal the egg rolls.
- Spray the egg rolls lightly with oil and place in a single layer in the basket.
- Cook for 8 minutes at 380 degrees F, flipping halfway. The egg rolls are done when the are crispy and golden all over.
- Let cool 5 minutes or so before serving.
- You can reduce the olive oil to ½ tablespoon to lighten up this recipe.
- Authentic Philly cheesesteaks do not have green pepper, but many people in other areas of the U.S. like it in their cheesesteaks, so it's listed as an optional ingredient.
- Use any cut of meat you like. Ribeye is another great choice.
- For an au jus, save the drained liquid from step 2.
- Use provolone cheese instead of Monterey Jack for a more authentic cheesesteak.
- Make a double batch and freeze the extras for a quick snack or appetizer at a moment's notice! (Allow the egg rolls to cool completely before freezing, then wrap each in foil and place in a zipper top freezer bag. To reheat, air fry frozen egg rolls at 380 degrees F for 13-15 minutes, or bake at 400 degrees F for 20-25 minutes until heated through.)
Nutritional information is an estimate. The nutritional values for your final dish may vary based on measuring differences and products used.
Thanks so much for reading! I also invite you to follow me on FACEBOOK, PINTEREST, or INSTAGRAM to keep up with what's going on in my kitchen.
And you might want to check out my Dizzy Busy and Hungry store on Amazon for a whole bunch of great kitchen products I love!
Now this will be a win with my husband. We moved to the south and can't find a great philly cheesesteak spot but I know this will satisfy the cravings. Bookmarking now!
These are so tasty! Love the crisp on them, and that they're done in the air fryer. Always feel good about making snacks in that thing!
What a fantastic recipe! You combined two of my family's favorites -- egg rolls and cheese steak! Love that these cook up golden brown and crispy in the air fryer.
This is my new favorite egg roll recipe!! So delicious and easy to make, and they had all the same flavors of Philly cheesesteak!
My family loves philly cheesesteaks, so I can't wait to try these delicious looking egg rolls. Thanks so much for sharing the recipe!